Join our zoo community

ESSAY HELP! ORCAS IN CAPTIVITY

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by juvvvy, 30 Jul 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. juvvvy

juvvvy New Member

I'm doing a paper over Orcas in captivity. Can I have some insightful opinions to put in my paper?

Last edited by a moderator: 30 Jul 2014
  2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

what do you already have on the topic?

3. juvvvy

juvvvy New Member

Lots of things that go against the holding of orcas in captivity. SeaWorld is the main culprit in my essay and examples such as the small tanks, neglect of the whales, poor caring, inhumane breeding and in-bred whales in their own family line. How it is wrong for them to poorly care for these animals for pure human entertainment and money.

4. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

And where are you getting these opinions from? Has the poor care you cite been authenticated by reputable, impartial experts who understand the issues and have studied the situation there? Have you also studied the opposing views to see where inconsistencies lie and form your own opinion based on provable facts?
    With the release of Blackfish there was a great deal of misinformation and carefully edited "proof" of whatever the writers wanted to "prove." Are you certain you are not simply eating what they have put out to feed you? ;)

Have you read all through these threads:
    http://www.zoochat.com/183/blackfish-movie-trailer-323685/
    http://www.zoochat.com/17/blackfish-342356/

Kakapo likes this.
  5. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

Sounds like you already have a biased viewpoint.

Kakapo likes this.
  6. juvvvy

juvvvy New Member

That was the point of my essay. I'm not arguing whether or not it's right to keep orcas in captivity. I'm stating that it's wrong and asking for comments to support it. I understand that I might not have the same viewpoint as some of you.

7. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Here's an "insightful opinion" for you, then.

Quite apart from the fact that you are more or less openly stating you intend to disregard any feedback which does not support your argument, and have come to a website for zoo enthusiasts rather than anti-zoo individuals..... you really should do your own homework rather than asking us to do it for you ;)

Kakapo likes this.
  8. juvvvy

juvvvy New Member

Not a problem. (-; bye.

9. SamMetz

SamMetz Well-Known Member

You really don't understand what an opinion is. Whats right and whats wrong can't be proven because they're morals, not facts. Its a matter of your own opinion, morals are subjective. If you already have a concrete way you're viewing something and just state any other facts or ideas against it will not change your out look on a topic why ask? Honestly it just sounds like you watched Blackfish and now thats your opinion and refuse to believe anything else. If thats true, really just think about how you've based your entire opinion on one thing. Thats the problem these days no one cross checks anymore to see if what they've been told is in fact correct. You can't take anything at face value honestly. Maybe a better report would be how emotions can effect a way a person relates to topics? Im not trying to be negative toward you but you're not thinking clearly and going about this report wrong. And thats the thing about BF it builds your emotions up and then you'll believe ANYTHING they'll say to you. Its a play on emotions that people don't get.

Last edited: 5 Aug 2014
  10. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Do more research on the topic, form your own opinion. There are plenty of people on the internet who have posted lots of stuff on the topic. As much as I like to complain about orca captivity, I'm not doing your homework for ya.

TheAmurTiger likes this.
  11. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

there's not much point posting replies on this thread. Her essay was due on the night she posted it, so she has already either passed it or failed it.

12. Pootle

Pootle Well-Known Member

Do todays students actually 'fail' things these days or just get very low pass marks so as to not offend?

13. TheMightyOrca

In the US, generally the latter, unless you're taking an advanced class. Maybe it does vary, but in my middle and high school, teachers were encouraged to make tests easy, drop low grades and zeroes, give lots of extra credit points and high curves... I once had a biology test where only two people in the entire class passed. (me and an exchange student) The teacher gave a 20 point curve, so I went from a C to an A because everyone else is dumb. Or maybe I'm just smart. I dunno. Point is, our public school system has problems.

Kakapo likes this.
  14. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

Speaking as a teacher, I have no problem failing a kid who doesn't do their work.

15. TheMightyOrca

Maybe it's a regional thing, I guess. But at my schools, a teacher could get in trouble for failing a kid. It was stupid.

16. azcheetah2

azcheetah2 Well-Known Member

Really? In Arizona you don't get a grade you don't earn. If you don't do the homework you fail the class.

As for the OP...looks like your opinions are from the movie Blackfish and you've never visited a Sea World park because if you had, you'd know that the whales are well cared for. They're not neglected. They don't inbreed the whales. The pools are larger and deeper than what is required. They're not forced to perform by withholding food. They are not physically punished for not performing. I used to be a heavy regular to SWC and saw a lot of what the general public does not get to see and I never saw any misbehavior by the trainers towards the whales.

17. JBZvolunteer

JBZvolunteer Well-Known Member

It is pretty widespread in the US. We have Common Core and No Child Left Behind which punish teachers for failing a student. I have heard of school districts that won't hold a student back in elementary or middle school unless they get parental approval. But this wasn't the original point of the thread. ;)

18. TheAmurTiger

TheAmurTiger Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I don’t disagree with anything aside from inbreeding. Mistakes were made in 2006, it’s most likely what she was referring to. Unna has a stillborn calf with either an uncle or half-brother in San Antonio and Katina had a calf with her son in Orlando. Adan Andre Victoria were Born to whales at Lori Parque, all calves not born to Morgan at the park are guaranteed to be at least slightly inbred.

19. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member 5+ year member

C'mon. The last reply was 4 years ago....is it really worth it to reply?

20. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Why don't some of these zombie threads just get closed?

ZooBinh likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.