Join our zoo community

Ethics on the Ark

Discussion in 'TV, Movies, Books about Zoos & Wildlife' started by Onychorhynchus coronatus, 6 Nov 2020.

1. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

There is a very interesting book (fairly old now as I believe it was first published in the early 90's) called "Ethics on the Ark".

The book was a series of essays representing all sides of the zoo and conservation debate and had some very thought provoking chapters / essays about the future and purpose of zoos.

I actually no longer own this book as I gave my copy to a friend at Chapultepec Zoo so I unfortunately cannot re-read it.

However, I was wondering whether anyone else had read it and if so what they thought of some of the essays ?

Last edited: 6 Nov 2020
  2. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Somewhere I have a copy. From memory it was reasonably pro zoo and certainly contributed to the welfare debate.

3. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Yes, I thought it was quite a good book too.

A few of the essays and concepts were a bit "out there" though...

I remember one essay on future zoos having no live animals at all and just interactive tv screens that showed footage of wildlife. :confused:

Last edited: 6 Nov 2020
  4. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

That will never happen now in that experience is available to anybody with an internet connection.

5. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Yes, I agree, I think that is an example of how some essays of the book have aged badly.

I think that particular essay was probably written in that early 90's pre-computer in every household techno-utopia spirit of the times.

More audio / visual displays within zoos could be a good idea though IMO.

6. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Also, I remember the book had Jersey's famous "Jambo" on the frontcover.

7. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

The book "Ethics on the Ark" is a collection of papers that were presented at a workshop held in 1992.

I read the book when it was first published in 1995 and I agree with you that I found some of the chapters very thought-provoking although I haven't looked at the book for a quarter-of-a-century.

Two other interesting books on the ethics of keeping animals in zoos are:

Zoos and Animal Rights: The Ethics of Keeping Animals (Stephen C. Bostock; 1993). (The author, Bostock, was Education Officer at Glasgow Zoo.)

Zoo Ethics: The Challenges of Compassionate Conservation (Jenny Gray; 2017)

8. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Thank you for your reply @Tim May !

Yes, totally agree with you, some of the chapters definitely influenced my view towards zoos and particular those that dealt with species conservation and captive breeding.

I haven't read either of the two books that you mention but I really would like to have a read of these eventually so thank you for mentioning them. :) ;)