Join our zoo community

New Etiquette Regarding Two Threads on the Same Topic

Discussion in 'ZooChat Community & Website' started by ZooElephantMan, 1 Apr 2021.

1. ZooElephantMan

ZooElephantMan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Obviously, one should try to avoid creating a new thread if another thread already exists discussing the same topic. However, I have struggled with this. Recently, I created two threads—one about memorials for animals in zoos, and another about zoo protestors. I will admit that when I made the thread about zoo memorials, I had forgotten to double check if a similar thread already existed. However, when I made my second thread, I made sure to look up “zoo protestors” in the search option, to see if any similar threads already existed. None did, that I could find. But after I actually posted my new thread, someone told me that a similar thread did in fact exist. I was just unable to find it earlier because the original thread did not use the word “protestor” anywhere in its title, so it did not pop up when I searched for it. Now, I am trying to figure out what steps to take to avoid making duplicate in the future. I have two specific questions:

1. Do you have any tips for what I should be doing differently to avoid creating a thread on a topic that is already being discussed on another thread?

2. If I do create a thread for a subject that has been discussed elsewhere, what should I do once I realize that the topic has already been discussed? Should I report my own thread? What is the proper etiquette?

Note- I checked if any similar threads to this one existed before I posted this. There was a slightly similar thread to this thread from several years ago, that I also made :rolleyes:, but that one was closed and it covered a slightly different question, which is why I made this new thread here instead of using the same old one.

2. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I am not sure there is a definitive answer. I have run into the same issue myself, where I search and don't find the topic but after I start a thread someone tells me there is a thread on the topic. If a moderator joins this discussion they may have a better idea on how to handle it. But my advice is just keep doing what you are doing. Search as best you can and if you don't find it then just start the thread. If you do find one later and you want it combined with yours, you can click report even if it's your own thread.

Simon Hampel and ZooElephantMan like this.
  3. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

I think @Arizona Docent has pretty much covered it.

As a general suggestion, I recommend the following:

1. do a search to see if you can find an appropriate thread to post in

2. if you can't find anything or aren't entirely sure, just start a new one

3. if you later discover a more appropriate thread, report your first post in the thread you created and suggest the threads be merged

From my perspective, I generally like having more threads - it's better for content discovery and SEO purposes - so don't try and shoe-horn discussions into existing threads unless they really do fit. If in doubt, start a new thread and we can fix it up later if required.

It's much easier for the moderators to combine multiple threads than it is to split them apart - so I would generally prefer people err on the side of creating a new thread if they are unsure.

JT likes this.