Join our zoo community

Eurasian brown bear subspecies and ex situ conservation relevance

Discussion in 'Europe - General' started by Kifaru Bwana, 21 Jan 2022.

1. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

(moderator note - original discussion taken from Tierpark Dessau)

@Jana, I admit and would hope that would be a strategy for the European brown bear EEP. We are dealing too many rescuees and then not doing anything for their species right now.

Last edited by a moderator: 11 Feb 2022
  2. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I will admit I know nothing about activities of Brown bear EEP so can´t praise or critique it.

But in my opinion what bears need the most urgently is education of public in how to coexist with them in present overcrowded European landscape. Even last remaining wild area is overrun by tourists. People nead to learn safe behaviour, mitigation practices and at the same time view them positively or at least neutraly. Zoos did a lot education in case of prepairing public for return of European otter. Now it´s time they would do the same for bears - at least in places where bear population grows or this species is expected to emerge by immigration from neighbour countries. German Alps is prime example - reintroduced population in Italian Alps grows nicely and will spread there sooner or later. It would be nice if German public would react with less panic this time.

3. Kifaru Bwana

@Jana, fully in agreement there.

4. Kifaru Bwana

This is true of the populations in Cantabria, Pyrenees, Alps and Appennines. In Italy it is working as the Italian conservation authorities are well engaged in interpretation and educational work benefitting both Marsican bears and Appennine wolves.

I would though advocate for one functioning ex situ conservation breeding program for relevant brown bear subspecies in Europe and perhaps even 2 (given that both Marsican and Pyrenean would suit that criterium well).

Other than that I would say Syrian brown bear really do deserve an ex situ program coupled with recovery / restoration in Israel / Lebanon and Syria. Source populations: the last Syrian brown bears held captive in European zoos as well as near source groups from northern Iraq, south-western Turkey and Datca population of the Peninsula in south-west corner bordering on Lebanon \ Syria (less than 50 bears).

SOURCE:
    IUCN Red List of Threatened Species
    status
    Syrian brown bear – Bear Conservation.
    distribution \ range

Further, there must be loads in private hands in captivity near range countries (particularly in Turkey, Iraq, around the lesser Caucasus)?

Last edited: 11 Feb 2022
  5. Jana

All Syrian brown bears in European/US zoos and circuses are offspring of a single (sibbling?) pair. Their horrible genetics is the main reason why they got almost completely phased out since. To start a meaningful breeding program based on them is silly and could be excused only in case this subspecies/population would completely die out in nature and those were last representants.

Therabu and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  6. Kifaru Bwana

That sure is interesting. Not contesting, just do you have any source and/or scientific papers for the genetics of these highly inbred Syrian brown bears?

The species Syrian brown bear is extinct in Israel, Jordan, Lebanon and Syria.
    The nearest population is Datca (from which recolonisation could potentially happen).
    I do believe it would require education and public awareness as well as sourcing bears from SW Turkey (Toros East, Anatolia West and Datca).

7. Kifaru Bwana

Following up on the discourse over the desireability of Eurasian brown bear ex situ programs I would like to start a new thread here.

Currently, whenever Eurasian brown bear discourse comes up EAZA/EEP and accredited zoos only seem to restrict themselves to rescueing brown bears from substandard conditions or brown bear subspecies without any conservation importance ex situ objective (other than mere education).

Now this subject recently came up once more in the Tierpark Dessau thread as it deserves its own place in the General fora of the European zoos chapter.

I propose to start here and follow through on that discussion.

SOURCE:
    IUCN Red List of Threatened Species

8. Kifaru Bwana

9. Jana

I don´t have scientific papers. It have read it in EAZA Yearbook (2015 or 2016 or around, it was online and I can´t find it again) that all Syrian bears in Europe come directly from a single litter of young bears that were imported from Turkey by Vienna zoo Schönbrunn at the beginning of 20th century. They must be so inbred now.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  10. Kifaru Bwana

I would appreciate if moderators could transfer the brown bear discourse to the new thread Brown bears Eurasia just created in the General Europe thread forum.

Thank you.

11. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There are now good practices and manuals worked out by European societies of protecting wild carnivores, how to avoid conflict with brown bears and human economy, farming, tourism etc. They could be adopted to wild Syrian brown bears in the Middle East and within few years, help conservation very much.

In the past, all zoo spaces in Europe were blocked by enormous number of rescued brown bears from Eastern Europe and Russia - former circus bears, trained dancing bears, injured bears, poached cubs, bears from old, substandard zoo cages etc. I wonder whether this is still the case?

12. Jana

Most brown bears in Czech zoos and other establishments (castle moats) are old and are dying out pretty quickly. Youngest ones are in their 20ties. In most cases they are not replaced because their enclosures were not adequate. So they either are demolished or wait for redevelopment. Those that would wish to get new brown bears can easily get rescue cubs from Slovakia.

13. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Already did so, as demonstrated by the fact you left the quoted comment in said thread :p

Assuming that the information presented is correct, and there have been zero new founders in the captive population for a century, I would be inclined to suspect that for the population to still be extant now (and individuals living into their late 30's in some cases) the inbreeding will have reached a point where a lot of the resulting negative traits have been "bred out" through purifying selection.

Last edited: 11 Feb 2022
    JVM and Kifaru Bwana like this.