Join our zoo community

European Elephants #1

Discussion in 'Europe - General' started by Nisha, 1 May 2013.

1. loxodontaafrica

loxodontaafrica Well-Known Member

Surprised it has not been mentioned on this thread but two EEHV1 related deaths- a blow to the EEP Asian elephant program...

Arwen (1 yo) 0,1- Ant Bwe Lay x Homaline- Pont-Scorff
    Jamilah (2 yo) 0,1- Upali x Thi Ha Way-Chester

2. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

The Chester calf has not been confirmed as being EEHV1!

3. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Asian Elephant born at Rotterdam Zoo at 5 AM on Saterday August 10. Mother is Tron Nhi and the baby is prop. a girl.

4. lamna

lamna Well-Known Member

UK and Ireland

I'm trying to figure out what is going on with elephants in British and Irish collections.

By breeding herds, I mean facilities with bulls and cows.

African Breeding Herds
    Colchester Zoo
    Howletts Wild Animal Park
    Knowsley Safari Park
    Asian Breeding Herds
    Chester Zoo
    Whipsnade Wild Animal Park
    Woburn Safari Park
    Dublin Zoo
    AI Asian Cow Herd
    Twycross Zoo
    Retired Asian Cow Herd
    Belfast Zoo
    Blackpool Zoo
    Spare African Bulls
    Port Lympne Zoo
    African Cow Pairs
    West Midland Safari Park
    Blair Drummond Safari and Adventure Park
    Solo Cows
    Longleat Safari Park (Elderly Asian)
    Paignton Zoo (Middle Aged African)
    Skanda Vale (Asian Temple Elephant)
    Is this correct?

Does anyone know if the WMSP and Blair Drummond pairs are going to be artificially inseminated. I remember hearing that Five and Latabe were going to be, but I have no information about the ones at Blair Drummond.

Does anyone know why Anne went to Longleat alone, rather than to Belfast or Blackpool? And for that matter, what is going to happen to Duchess? She will probably live for 15-20 years. Are Paignton going to get more elephants, or is so going to be moved?

Last edited: 15 Aug 2013
  5. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Paignton will no longer keep elephants when / if Duchess passes on.
    Her exhibit will then form part of a new African savannah.

6. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Blair Drummond are a retired group: Down to 0.2 following a recent death and will most likely remain none breeding for the foreseeable (just built a new house with no facilities for a bull!)

7. lamna

lamna Well-Known Member

Odd, both of the elephants at Blair Drummond are only in their early 30's. Combined with Duchess, WMSP girls and a Port Lympne bull you could have a nice little herd.

Though expect that would be very hard to arrange, nobody wants to give up their elephants.

Also, I just found out about Valli. A Hindu temple elephant in rural Wales. The world is a strange place indeed.

8. Yassa

Yassa Well-Known Member 15+ year member

"Only" in their early 30's?? Female elephants need to have their first calf early in life - in their teens or very early 20's at latest. Otherwise, they will become infertile and in the rare case of a pregnancy, the risks will be huge for mother and calf. A 25 year old elephant who hasn`t bred is already too old for breeding. The 2 females at West Midlands are now pretty much there (=infertile), and the females in Blair Drummond certainly are.

Combining adult unrelated elephants into one herd is not something that can easily be done and very often results in serious aggression and death. If a small group is compartible, keep it that way, really.

9. lamna

lamna Well-Known Member

I had heard that they needed to breed continually, but I didn't know if it was true or not.

It just seems so strange to think that animals that will likely be alive in the 2040's are already "finished".

10. Yassa

Yassa Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Well, serveral US zoos tried to breed females in the age of 23+ years via AI in the last 10 years and the results of the few who got pregnant were distastrous - most calves stillborn and serveral females who died from the complications. So yes, it`s true. That`s death/infertility due to management mistakes, though - it can easily be avoided if young females are transferred to a zoo with a suitable bull in their teens. Bull elephants, however, can easily breed into their 50's (recent examples: Motek in Ramat Gan and Chieng Mai in Copenhagen) and females can at least breed until their are in their late 40's - but only if they have the first calves while still young.

11. lamna

lamna Well-Known Member

Thanks for the information. At least Jack and Tooth should breed.

I expect this was a pretty important factor in elephants never being domesticated.

12. Daniel

Daniel Well-Known Member

Nope. Why should it have been? Supply from the wild was ample and keeping elephants in captivity was/is very expensive, thus only productive animals were kept (adults which where able to work).

13. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I'm not sure they need to breed continually, though too long an interval beween calves, or too late a start, as Yassa points out above, can be harmful and result in failure.

It seems Elephant females are capable of breeding successfully at a much younger age than previously suspected- some have even become pregnant(e.g. at Chester) while still only half-grown and under 8 years old. In these cases they seem to carry on growing normally and no bad effects seem evident.

14. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Asian Elephants in western zoos are in most cases much heavier (very obese plus with a much quicklier growth) then wild elephants of the same age or those kept captive in range countries.

As an example - Prague has a 4-years old cow Tonya (born in Rotterdam) that is of the same height as the 8-years old Tamara imported last year from Sri Lanka (Pinnawela) and actually is already heavier then Tamara. The second imported cow Janita (9) is only a few centimeters taller but also much slimmer then Tonya.

Due to very quick growth of zoo elephant calves, they also reach adolescence very early, many of them around the age of 5 years. The ex-TP Berlin cow Cinta managed to conceive with 3 and half years - a record, I think.

15. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Agree, there are distinct differences in their development and physique. Wild Asian elephants and captive ones in the range countries always exhibit slim bodies and appear thinner skinned-and their hides are never cracked or rugose as happens with older elephants in Western Zoos. Possibly richer feeding may contribute to the faster growth and maturation rates experienced in Western Zoos? .

16. Jana

I agree. Way too rich feeding (boxes of fruit, cereals, bread..) plus food brought by visitors and limited exercise, all that probably has its impact.

17. Sitara

Sitara Well-Known Member

18. Sitara

Sitara Well-Known Member

19. Sitara

Sitara Well-Known Member

20. Jana

Hannover saw another birth, mother is Sayang, sex of the calf has not been annonced yet.

That makes a total of 15 surviving elephant calves in European zoos this year, I guess (11 Asians and 4 Africans).