Join our zoo community

European elephants #2

Discussion in 'Europe - General' started by UntBwe, 3 Aug 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dragon(ele)nerd

dragon(ele)nerd Well-Known Member

Elephants are truely intelligent creatures, the points you bring up are very true, though they are much like humans, their motives and life experinces might have not just been triggered by life experince but perhpas due to that particular elephant, Musth is an issue as well, though most people know what to do and the dangers of it,

2. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

What a horrible video! I have sent a protest note to the zoo via its web site. I suggest you do the same.

3. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I would say the keepers reaction was very reactionary, taken by surprise, but there must be a gentler way to reprimand the elephant, btw where was the mother elephant?

4. taun

taun Well-Known Member

I agree but you can do some silly things when taken by surprise!

5. Yassa

Yassa Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Training of calves in Berlin is usually done without the mother, I guess because the mother could become protective of her calf and dangerous for the keeper. Seperating from the mother makes this sort of training even more stressing for the calf.

6. dragon(ele)nerd

Just wondering how throughly are the calves trained as in do they just learn basic commands or is there an elephant show in Berlin?

7. UntBwe

UntBwe Well-Known Member

8. dragon(ele)nerd

I agree we are always complaining about how people are saying no to infrigements of our freedom, elephants deserve better!

9. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

My final words on the beating of the elephant calf:

I am not an expert on the handling of big animals, but I am stilled appalled by the reaction of this German animal "zookeeper". HE KEPT ON HITTING THE LITTLE ELEPHANT CALF WITH AN INSTRUMENT MADE OF STEEL (the "bullhook") when the litle elephant was running away from him, scared as hell!

God damn it!

However, 30 years ago, having just finished my education but not yet found a job suited for my degree, I worked at a slaughter house in Sweden. There I led horses (as well as big bulls weighing up to a 1000 kilos) to their death. Sometimes they put me in literally life threatening situations, but I would never have dreamed of treating them the way that this German "zookeeper" treated this poor little elephant kid.

10. James27

James27 Well-Known Member

Vegetarian side talking (lol), but personally I think having them killed was more cruel. (Don't want to start another debate with this by the way).
    My final words: I don't think the keeper was right in reacting the way he did, but as Kiang said I'm sure that his reaction was purely down to self defence and surprise, and he must love the elephants he works with to put himself through the job of working with them, which I imagine is very challenging.
    They would need to show their dominance over the elephant but that was too much, especially hitting him as much as the keeper did, even as he ran off.

11. dragon(ele)nerd

Would anyone know the future of the keeper?

12. Animal

Animal Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A few days ago, Calvin moved from Hannover to Leipzig. Since today he is with the cows.

13. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Thats one well travelled elephant, last time I saw him he was in Canada

14. dragon(ele)nerd

That's interesting , I knew it was coming but are they planning to do anything with Mekong?

15. forumbully

forumbully Well-Known Member

they have 3 bull-enclosures in leipzig, so I don't think it should be a problem

16. dragon(ele)nerd

I see, hopefully with the arrival of Calvin Voi nam can be a big brother or cousin of some sort,

17. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Are they all adult bulls?

18. dragon(ele)nerd

At the moment there is Calvin 22 years old and Mekong, 26, the young bull Voi nam is 5

19. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Wow, thats good that there is place like this that house bulls. Sorry to ask such a silly question, but do they also house a herd of females, if so what are there numbers?

20. dragon(ele)nerd

No problem, there are zoos that house bachelors only so there is a valid reason for people to think that there are zoos only for bulls, in fact hat is the plna in the future because of the recent amount of male births so not all will be used in the breeding circuit,

From Hamburg there is Saida-1973, to stay long-term and her daughter salvana- 1996 to stay as soon as she falls pregnant, and then she'll be sent back to Hamburg,
    And from Vietnam,
    Don Chung-1982, Trinh-1982 (Voi nam's mother) and Hoa-1982, and plus the recently passed Rhani,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.