Join our zoo community

European elephants

Discussion in 'Europe - General' started by UntBwe, 21 Aug 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James27

James27 Well-Known Member

Does look like a nice house for them. But I'm a bit confused... The elephant mother in the video has had two sons, both by her own father... is that right?

2. Pygathrix

Pygathrix Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Looks like it. The same thing happened at Chester when Chang mated with his daughter Sithami who was only (I think)five and produced a male calf. I think it had been assumed that that was too young to breed so it was rather unexpected.

3. James27

James27 Well-Known Member

Hmm once can be accepted as a mistake but for it to happen twice to the same elephant isn't very good lol

4. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

I remember seeing Tika in Wuppertal this summer, when she was only three days old. What a litlle cutie :D

5. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

Sithami actually produced a female. Sundara.

6. Sitara

Sitara Well-Known Member

Nearly all L.A.s in Ramat Gan are children of the bull Yossi. Therefore the 4 ones in Sosto-Zoo have the same father! :rolleyes: Ramat Gan is the most successful breeding group for African elephants in captivity. Keeping-System: No contact! The EEP-studbook-keeping for L.A.: Ramat Gan! It is really very strange and not the right way, I think...

7. Vinch

Vinch Member

8. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Once again an elephant baby on youtube this time a male Asian elephant born at the Tiblisi zoo in Georgia.
    Anyone have any info on these animals?

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Jul 2017
  9. CZJimmy

CZJimmy Well-Known Member

10. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Genetically speaking then a very important birth in the European population.

11. CZJimmy

CZJimmy Well-Known Member

Also worth noting, that the female at Tbilisi Zoo is 11 years old. This means that she was roughly the same age as Thong Dee when she became pregnant... I wonder if there was an outcry;)

12. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think many of these animal libbers have a skewed idea about when animals are ready to breed. Because elephants have a similar lifespan to humans, they equate them with having similar stages of development too, whereas of course there's no reason for doing so..

13. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A propos - maybe some elephant-loving zoobeat member makes such a good database for african elephants as asianelephant.net ? ;) Would be great resource. And for rhinos, too ;) !

14. Pertinax

Rhinos- it has to be Jelle....

15. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Do not get me started, my friend ... I have the complete listings of both Asian Elephas and African Loxodonta at my disposal ... too! :eek:

16. Kifaru Bwana

Anthropomorphism is the word you are probably looking for! :D

Sadly, most animal libbers have zilch knowledge of wildlife in general and seem to want to mask the very dire state of our environment (release them to the wild, an option only rarely available).

Is wildlife so much better off in the wild? Are not most national parks surrounded on all sides by human habitation and in dangered of habitat encroachment, destruction etcetera? So in effect, our environment is already a big zoo (lest we do not call it that) and just some have no fences around them ........ :eek:

Coming back to the elephant topic: an elephant is ready to breed when she is ready. Whether she is 6, 8, 12 or 20 is simply irrelevant. Besides in a stable family group environment they are relatively safe (sure primiparous females have an increased risk of the first calf not surviving, but that is a common phenomenom in nature).

17. Pertinax

Of course I agree in principal with this, with one proviso. I think there's some evidence that rich diets in captivity(and particularly handrearing)stimulates growth and sometimes also encourages the earlier onset of oestrus in females of certain species, notably Gorillas- but it could apply to Elephants as well... The youngest female at Chester is 'Sundara' the daughter of the 'teenage' mother Sithami who was only six when she was born. I was told last year that now even the young 'Sundara' has been showing signs of oestrus at only THREE years old :eek: and they keep the bull (Upali) away from her during those periods.I do'nt believe it would happen in the wild, but what do you make of that....?

18. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yes! Yes! Yes! Ask Vinch for formula of his asianelephant.net page and fill it with other data and pics! I asked him some time ago about african page and he had not time. :) :) :rolleyes:

19. Kifaru Bwana

Yes, protein rich diets play a part in the earlier onset of sexual maturity and oestrus.

20. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

Do you want me to do one on hornbills?:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.