Join our zoo community

European elephants

Discussion in 'Europe - General' started by UntBwe, 21 Aug 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Ostrava wish to receive a bull, but it still is not decided which one should come, it is up to the EEP-Coordinator.

In the year 2004, shortly after the new house was opened, a young bull named Jacky arrived. But he died few months later during the anesthesy, the operation of his broken trusk went good, but his heart failured during the "waking phase". The necropsy reveiled a non-detected congenital defect.

Both new cows should be united with the two old ones, Jumbo and Suseela from Artis, and form a herd. I think the planned capacity of the house is 1.5 (+ offspring) so the only thing they need now is a good breeding bull, which would arrange the further addition(-s) to the herd in a natural way.

Johti and Vishesh should reach Ostrava on Thursday, after 3 days and 2300km spent in the trasport boxes.

2. James27

James27 Well-Known Member

How long will Tina be alone for now? Al, I know you mentioned her being a bit anti-social, but will she get any companions?
    Also didn't you say the elephant house will undergo some renovation?

3. mfabrie

mfabrie Member

I'm curious which bull is going to Ostrava

4. UntBwe

UntBwe Well-Known Member

Alexander of Amersfoort is a possibility...

5. UntBwe

UntBwe Well-Known Member

The present accomodation is 5 boxes of ca 30 sq meters each. So they need some renovations for an 1.5 housing.

The outside enclosure is 2.000 + 2.500 sq meters. Which is capable for a small herd.

With the 40 years old Johti, Ostrava keeps three older females (Suseela is 47 and Jumbo is 37). Vishesh is the daughter of Johti and she is 11 years old.

The father of Vishesh is Luka of Natura Terra in Benidorm (Spain)

6. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

You are right, there are 5 boxes. I only thought the central pen (with the water basin) could be used as a temporary "sixth box" but it would not probably be sustainable for a longer period...

7. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I would figure the movement of a breeding bull to Ostrava Zoo is not far off. Clearly, the EEP is confident that Ostrava will be able to manage a bull given the fact that a young bull had already been shipped out there.

I assume that a separate area within the stall complex would be reserved for the bull elephant (once it is clear which bull will arrive for breeding). For the cows Jothi and Vishesh it is important a proven bull should arrive in due course as they have been so long without one and are almost unrepresented in the captive population (so breeding from them is unconditional as far as EEP is concerned).

8. UntBwe

UntBwe Well-Known Member

Perhaps they will use it temporary like they did in Antwerp with Alexander. Just for a short period of 6 months.

9. dragon(ele)nerd

dragon(ele)nerd Well-Known Member

there is a possiblity but i read that Alexander was going to Sevilla zoo ( a non-breeding facilty) because he has enough offspring. Though websites said that when Alexander was at Antwerp but then moved to Amersfoort another breeding facility

10. Al

Al Well-Known Member 15+ year member

After discussing it further with the elephant curator at the zoo, Tina isnt really that anti social she just gets on with certain elephants and her relationship with Johti wasnt the best. Our house will undergo some renovations including the knocking of the three front dens into one and the creation of one paddock rather than the two smaller ones. Following the EAZA recommendations we have enough space for up to four animals so we are looking up to three old females to come here to retire, preferably ones that are already together. Jothi and visesh were moved as there my be a chance Johti will breed again and Vishesh is just the right age!

11. dragon(ele)nerd

So Ostrava will become a breeding facility?

12. Al

yes that is the plan

13. dragon(ele)nerd

I'm just asking do you know exactly what elephant bull is going to ostrava?

14. Al

sorry mate I havent heard! If I do I'll let you know :)

15. dragon(ele)nerd

I must ask if ostrava will become a breeding facility it will only have one cow breeding cow, not like that is bad in much of a way i'm just asking although you haven't heard about the bull will their be any cows moving in?

Last edited: 21 Apr 2008
  16. Kifaru Bwana

Normally, I do not joke about counting .. but I can see 1 bull and 3 cows at Ostrava, so that makes 4! Both Jothi and Vishesh can still be mated.

What is your point here then? Do you mean to import more reproductive age females to Ostrava?

Anyone have any idea as to the possible bull? I hope Naing Thein may travel to Ostrava for 8-10 months to bring his good deeds and leave the breeding cows happy for 22 months onward! :D

17. dragon(ele)nerd

Sorry i meant one fully productive breeding cow. Yes Jothi can still be mated but i wonder how high are the chances? On the contrary their are four cows at Ostrava Jothi, Vishesh, Jumbo and Sussela. And if their was a bull that makes five. I do think Naing Thein will be a great sire. But apparently he has reached the point of the EEP descendant limit. But then again Prague did try to mate Naing Thein with Shanti and the former cow Praya. Also the main reason that Naing Thein was shipped away from zoo emmen was to prevent inbreeding to his daughters espicially Mingalar Oo.

18. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Feels like it's getting more and more important to get Boy out of Kiev... Almost every other bull is either too young or has too many offspring.

19. dragon(ele)nerd

I wish we had a time machine sometimes.

20. Kifaru Bwana

Jana,

It is a public secret and political! Hannover Zoo has been "lacklustre" in its treatment of Calvin on hard and concrete standing. He did have leg deformities from birth and since having grown into a large bull is now a totally paraplegic elephant. The management and keeper staff at Hannover has certainly not helped and exarcerbated this condition no end. Besides the elephant breeding record of Hannover Zoo is not particularly great (just 1 cow has had 2 calves with the second cow that makes .... 3).

I now fear for the welfare of Nikolai too! Drastic measures are needed if Hannover Zoo is to become a true elephant breeder instead of a consumer. :mad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.