Join our zoo community

Europe's 50 must see zoos

Discussion in 'Europe - General' started by lintworm, 10 May 2018.

1. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I would add at least two zoos.

One is Askania Nova in Ukraine. It is Europe's and world's biggest zoo by area, with a single enormous ungulate paddock covering approximately 3 x 2 kilometers! It has also such species as saiga, probably worlds largest captive (?) herd of Przewalski's Horses, and led unusual experiment to domesticate Eland. It also contains (even bigger) nature reserve of European steppe. Certainly unique. I wonder if any Zoochatter been there?

Another is Orsa Björnpark in Sweden for its giant exhibits located in native boreal forest. See for example the polar bear enclosure:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

lintworm, Batto and FBBird like this.
  2. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I knew of Askania Nova, but think this may be the first mention of it on Zoochat!

3. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

4. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Brum likes this.
  5. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

Whilst I totally understand Copenhagen not making the list, I think this is a bit harsh. The Arctic Ring is special, although not without its flaws. Ditto the new Elephant House (more emphasis on the flaws there). It's real pity that the old Elephant House was knocked down rather than renovated, as it was also magnificent. The Australian section and the Scandinavian section are both first class, at least for a city zoo. The savannah is actually quite remarkable in terms of how it all fits together with so much intermingling possible. Obviously the major problem is the chimpanzee enclosure, but I really think it's a zoo with a lot to offer.

lintworm likes this.
  6. Hvedekorn

Hvedekorn Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I have one last question about an omission:

You're including Borås Djurpark because it's a very well-done zoo with huge exhibits for the relatively few species it has - with the African and Scandinavian areas being the highlights - and because the fact that it manages to mix African elephants with other savanna animals is quite the unique experience.

Now, I don't disagree with this (I don't know if Borås would make it into my personal 50 must-see list, but probably my 100 must-see list), but there happens to be one zoo that is very similar to Borås Djurpark - Ree Park in Denmark. It's also a zoo with a big area, relatively few animals (most of them being big mammals) in huge exhibits and a major focus on African animals (and North American animals instead of Scandinavian ones). While Borås has its successful mix with African elephants and savanna animals, Ree Park has successfully mixed black rhinos with various savanna animals which is - to my knowledge - just as unusual.

Is there a particular reason for choosing one over the other?

Though thinking of it, you also regularly mention zoos that are heading in a good direction, such as Magdeburg Zoo. Ree Park's direction isn't exactly the best, having downsized its collection by around 300% during the last 15 years while only building 3-4 major new exhibits. If that continues, Borås will definitely be more of a must-see zoo in 15 years.

7. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Subsequent to a visit last week, an up-to-date list of onshow species in the Amphibian House can be found here:

Tierpark Chemnitz - On-show stocklist for Amphibian House as of 10/09/2018

lintworm likes this.
  8. TeaLovingDave

I thought I would bump this thread to pose a question which I don't think anyone has already asked, nor answered; how many of these 50 "must-see" collections have each of us visited?

My personal total at present is 27/50, with solid plans to visit another 3 this year.

FunkyGibbon likes this.
  9. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

25/50, which isn’t terrible considering I’ve had only half a year at my disposal.

TeaLovingDave likes this.
  10. TheGerenuk

TheGerenuk Well-Known Member 5+ year member

5 out of 50 (Antwerp, Pairi Daiza, Cologne, Apenheul, and Amsterdam, to be exact).

11. FunkyGibbon

Twenty out of fifty, with solid plans for eight more this year and enough tentative plans that I might make it to thirty overall by Christmas.

TeaLovingDave likes this.
  12. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

0/50 I'm doing great. :D:p;)

13. TeaLovingDave

Even better when one considers the fact that a fair few of these places are more obscure, whilst for obvious reasons your trip skewed towards the more well-known collections :)

14. Daktari JG

Daktari JG Well-Known Member 10+ year member

0/50
    closest I've been to Europe is...…..New York. LOL

15. FunkyGibbon

Can we agree that one person making this joke is enough and that after that the rate of return drops off pretty sharply? :p

16. Jakub

Jakub Well-Known Member 15+ year member

32/50 with a plan of visiting some important French collection next year.

17. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

12 out of 50, which is not so bad if you consider I have not spent much more than a month in Europe for all purposes in my life. Some were over 20 years ago, though. Expecting to visit 3 more in early July.

18. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

40/50 - although I’m not sure that all of those would belong in my own list of the top 50 zoos in Europe...

FunkyGibbon likes this.
  19. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I have visited ten out of the 50 listed zoological facilities: both the Belgian facilities, and Antwerp I've been too dozens of times, all four Dutch zoos, three of the German zoos (Duisburg, Cologne and Walsrode) and one of the French zoos listed (Nausicaä).

Unfortunately given constraints of distance, unlikelihood of multiple day travel and low energy levels it's highly unlikely I'll be visiting anymore any time soon, although I am hoping/planning to revisit some later this year.

I haven't even visited 50 different zoos yet myself and I've only visited zoos in five countries so I couldn't make a list like this, however, personally I would argue that a few of the zoos I have visited might deserve a place on a list like this, and would perhaps not put some others on it.

20. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I am also on 27/50! I have plans to visit five or six in the coming year or two