Join our zoo community

Europe's 50 must see zoos

Discussion in 'Europe - General' started by lintworm, 10 May 2018.

1. Ortolan bunting

Ortolan bunting Well-Known Member

what species are the 4 reptiles and amphibians

2. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

According to zootierliste Obterre currently has: European pond turtle, Red-eared slider, African spurred tortoise and Hermann's tortoise, so quite negligible compared to the 49 ungulate taxa.

3. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

Haute Touche is certainly an interesting choice on a list such as this!

The ungulate collection held there is certainly impressive, and I rather like the wholly uncommercial approach of the place - very few concessions seem to be made to the demands of the mass market. But, conversely, that reluctance to embrace the mainstream is also the place’s downfall, as a zoo: while it is delightful to be able to ride around on bicycles, and while the setting (sylvan woodland, mainly) is lovely, this is not a great place to see animals. The enclosure design is functional, at best, and often basic to the point of possible inadequacy. Visitor facilities are limited. There is an air of torpor to the zoo.

Yes, it is in the middle of nowhere - but it is only 30 miles or so from Beauval Zoo, one of Europe’s most successful, and most buzzing, zoos. Many great French zoos are located in out-of-the-way places.

I’m delighted to see Haute Touche gain recognition on this list (even if I probably wouldn’t have given it such a position myself!) and, having not been for 8 years or so, I very much feel it is a zoo to which I would like to return. Thank you, @lintworm, for an interesting review.

lintworm likes this.
  4. Okapipako

Okapipako Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Easily seen or not that ungulate number has me smitten. This zoo in general looks lovely, I really like most of the French places mentioned so far.

As someone who sees wild white-tailed deer multiple times a year the idea of them being rarities in Europe is pretty weird, but sadly unsurprising. The only European ungulates relatively common here are fallow deer. : (

Last edited: 1 Jun 2018
  5. lintworm

France - Ménagerie Jardin des Plantes Paris

Founded: 1793
    Size: 5.5 hectares
    Species and subspecies (including domestics):

Mammals 52
    Birds 67
    Reptiles & amphibians 52
    Fish 0

Whereas Europe’s oldest zoo is reinventing itself and combines old enclosures with novel ways of showing animals, Europe’s second oldest zoo is the best kept zoo history museum worldwide. The Ménagerie in the Jardin des Plantes, a botanical garden next to Paris’ Natural History Museum, seems to have hardly changed in the past century. Many old cages, houses, aviaries and paths have been carefully preserved and the only change seems to be that big species have left the zoo. The famous cat house for example is down to four species and Lions and Tigers have left the zoo completely. Though almost the whole zoo looks (and is) old, great care has been taken to replace bigger species with smaller species. Even now most enclosures do not belong to the most spacious of their kind, but are generally well fitted to their inhabitants. What is surprising for such a small zoo is the high number of Caprines present. No fewer than 7 species of wild goat and Takin are kept here. Many enclosures are dominated by fences, as there is no space for moats and combined with the 19th century atmosphere, this makes the Menagerie stand out against any other zoo in Europe. Though it may sometimes feel like a museum, the collection is well maintained and full of highlights for zoo-nerds like Quoll, Macqueen's and Little bustard, Pademelon, Gaur and Red-headed vulture. Attempts to immersion are completely lacking, but this zoo has something that is much harder to obtain: character.

[​IMG]
    @Bele , General view

[​IMG]
    @lintworm , Grande voliere

[​IMG]
    @ralph , Reptile house interior

[​IMG]
    @ralph , Przewalski wild horse enclosure

Zoochat gallery:
    Jardin des Plantes | ZooChat

Ménagerie, the zoo of the Jardin des Plantes

Zoo map:
    http://www.zoodujardindesplantes.fr.../documents/plan-4v-menagerie-avril2017_bd.pdf

Last edited: 4 Jun 2018
  6. lintworm

France - Zooparc de Beauval, Saint-Aignan

Founded: 1980
    Size: 35 hectares
    Mammals 92
    Birds 219
    Reptiles & amphibians 56
    Fish 118

Major zoos tend to be close to large cities or at least have a relatively densely populated hinterland, not so for Beauval, which lies in the middle of the French country side. Nonetheless Beauval has become the most species-rich zoo in France and has become a major player in Europe. Beauval can tick of all the possible ABC species from Giant panda to Koala to White tiger to the big five, but does not forget the zoo nerd in it’s developments. The Koala house is for example the only place in Europe to see two Tree kangaroo species and the Giant panda complex also features Takin and Steller's sea eagles among others. What is possibly the main highlight is the bird show, during which one can see 100 birds or more in free flight simultaneously, from Pelican to Kite to Marabou stork. Though Beauval’s collection of hoofstock, primates and carnivores is impressive, they cannot compare to the huge numbers of parrot species kept in the zoo and its bird collection is very good in general. Beauval is adding a major exhibit every year, with recent developments including a new Lion enclosure and a huge freeflight aviary for African birds with Common hippo on the ground level. The biggest development so far is set to open in 2020 and will be the highest Rainforest dome in any zoo. It will include a new pool for their breeding group of Manatee among many other species. Beauval is already France's most popular zoo, so one wonders what the potential would be if the zoo was actually located in a central location.

@migdog , Bird show

[​IMG]
    @Dianamonkey , Hippo aviary

[​IMG]
    @Maxime , Giant panda enclosure

[​IMG]
    @Maxime , Australian greenhouse with Koala, Tree kangaroo and others

Zoochat gallery:
    ZooParc de Beauval | ZooChat

www.zoobeauval.com

Zoo map:
    https://s3.eu-central-1.amazonaws.com/zooparc/pdf/plan_de_visite_2018.pdf

Haliaeetus, Diegooo, akasha and 13 others like this.
  7. lintworm

Germany - Zoologischer Garten Berlin

Founded: 1844
    Size: 35 hectares

Mammals 155
    Birds 304
    Reptiles & amphibians 107
    Fish 476

Often described as Europe’s best zoo it ticks the boxes a zoo is generally is expected to tick: an encyclopedic collection full of rarities, beautiful zoo architecture and generally ok to good enclosures, though very few outstanding ones. The Berlin Zoo hasn’t invented the wheel and could be described as old-fashioned in the way it is largely taxonomically organized, but the sheer breadth of the collection, blows many people away. The Berlin Zoo is the best example of an encyclopedic zoo worldwide, it is still the most species rich zoo, and very few major taxa missing. The historical aquarium building is often described as the best of its kind and it is true that it has a huge collection of fish and other ectotherms from all over the world combined with nice architecture. Other highlights include the cattle section with several historic houses, based on the origin of it’s inhabitants: Banteng, Gaur, European bison and Plains buffalo. The recently opened birdhouse is gigantic, but still a huge row of aviaries and two walkthrough enclosures. That it is home to some very visible Kiwi is nice, just as the species list, but enclosure wise it is nothing special and even small in some cases, pretty much exactly what can be expected from an encyclopedic zoo. Currently the carnivore house gets a much needed renovation and future plans include a new Rhino house based on the house lost in WW2. In many ways Zoo Berlin is what a zoo is about, but then on a larger scale than most others. The sheer size of it’s collection and the historic buildings is what sets the Zoo apart from others. But with the Hippo house excepted it is not the place to go to see new designs and innovative husbandry and taking away the surroundings many enclosures are quite boring indeed.

[​IMG]
    @lintworm , Jellyfish aquaria

[​IMG]
    @FunkyGibbon , Bison houses

[​IMG]
    @lintworm , Hippo house

[​IMG]
    @lintworm , Bird house

Zoochat galleries:
    Zoo: Berlin Zoo | ZooChat
    Aquarium: Berlin Zoo Aquarium | ZooChat

www.zoo-berlin.de

Zoo map:
    https://www.zoo-berlin.de/fileadmin/user_upload/zooplan_2018_en.pdf

JVM, Diegooo, akasha and 14 others like this.
  8. Fallax

Fallax Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The first zoo I have visited to be on the list. I doubt after Tierpark (if it is listed here) I won't see many for a while.

9. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Berlin Zoo's beautiful Antelope House is definitely my all time favourite zoo building.

10. lintworm

I almost have to agree, but Artis' aquarium, Vienna's bird house and the Budapest elephant house are also amazing (though in the last case not for the inhabitants...)

HungarianBison likes this.
  11. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I agree with you about Amsterdam's Aquarium and Vienna's Bird House.

I haven't yet visited Budapest (although hope to before long) but, from pictures I've seen, Budapest's Elephant House is an amazing piece of architecture but I'll reserve judgement until I've seen the building for myself.

12. lintworm

Germany - Tierpark Friedrichsfelde Berlin

Founded: 1955
    Size: 160 hectares

Mammals 180
    Birds 270
    Reptiles & amphibians 87
    Fish 96

Founded as an alternative to the zoo on the other side of the wall, Tierpark Berlin has grown to one of the most important zoos in Europe. With a size of 160 hectares this zoo can be too much to take in on one day. The zoo is not only large, but is also one of the most species rich on the continent. With close to 70 different hoofstock taxa it has the biggest collection of hoofed mammals in Europe. The collection is somewhat unbalanced though, hoofed mammals are everywhere, just as Carnivores, Birds-of-Prey and Parrots, but the Tierpark does not have any great Apes or Pinnipeds. With the closure of the Schlangenfarm there are currently also hardly any reptiles on show and there is only a small aquarium inside the main restaurant. What sets the Tierpark apart is the sheer size of many enclosures, most hoofstock species have a lot of space and the Vulture aviary is among the best in the world. Size seems to matter here more than structure, but at least there is enough green fence in the zoo that in case of a new divided Berlin there is enough to split the whole city again.... As bigger (than the west) was better in the communist era some of the houses are also larger than necessary. The infamous Alfred-Brehm house was the largest carnivore house when it opened, but just as the equally monstrous pachyderm house, bigger did not mean more space for the animals. The AB house is now being renovated again and species numbers have been reduced significantly there and the pachyderm house will follow the same route. Tierpark Berlin was the only zoo in Europe with breeding groups of both Asian and African elephant, but that will soon be a thing of the past. Even the biggest zoos must make choices of which animals to keep. Unfortunately for now that means a significant reduction in the bird collection.

[​IMG]
    @FunkyGibbon , Camel paddocks and Flamingoes

[​IMG]
    @lintworm , Pachyderm house with Asian elephants

[​IMG]
    @Maguari , Deer paddock

[​IMG]
    @lintworm , Crocodile house

Zoochat gallery:
    Berlin Tierpark | ZooChat

www.tierpark-berlin.de

Zoo map:
    https://www.tierpark-berlin.de/fileadmin/downloads/pdf/tierpark/plaene/tierparkplan_en.pdf

13. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

And now the question is whether Baby is enough to win Duisburg a guernsey on his own (assuming you are going to use the German spelling, otherwise the question will wait until after Cologne).

14. Okapipako

Okapipako Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Both Berlin zoos have been near the top of my bucket list for years, if mainly for the sheer variety and the architecture. They can give me conflicted feelings, though, like most zoos with humongous collections at some expense of quality of life for the animals. The Brehm house was a major example of that to me so I'm really happy to hear it's being renovated! I dont mind fewer species at all if it means improvements like that.

15. lintworm

Germany - Tierpark Chemnitz

Founded: 1964
    Size: 10 hectares

Mammals 45
    Birds 62
    Reptiles & amphibians 75
    Fish 10

Zoos with good mammal, bird, reptile of fish collections are relatively easy to find in Europe. Amphibians have often been forgotten though. Not so in Chemnitz, their Vivarium house holds about 65 species of Amphibians, an amazing achievement for a relatively small zoo. In 1993 they took over the large Amphibian collection from the Bertholdsburg castle and since then Chemnitz has been the unlikely location of the best Amphibian collection in Europe. Were it not for the Vivarium, Chemnitz would just have been a smaller ordinary German zoo. The other highlight is a small tropical house with Spider monkeys, Pygmy hippo and free-flying birds. The zoos further collection is relatively small, but with Stump-tailed macaque, Kulan, Rocky mountain goat and Arabian wild cat the collection is not standard. Enclosure wise the zoo is not very special and it is clear that this is a zoo located in a relatively poor region of Germany. Apart from Pygmy hippo, Lion, Tiger, Zebra and Leopard none of the larger ABC species are present. But when you have a good collection of Amphibians, who needs Elephants, Giraffes and Rhino?

Zoolex article on the Vivarium:
    ZooLex Exhibit

[​IMG]
    @cockroach , Bird of Prey aviaries

[​IMG]
    @SL70 , Tropical house with Pygmy hippo

[​IMG]
    @cockroach , Mountain goat enclosure

Zoochat gallery:
    Tierpark Chemnitz | ZooChat

www.tierpark-chemnitz.de

16. lintworm

I have now edited the first post in the thread to show the list so far with links to each respective post.

Cologne will indeed be next. We are now chartering again in more familiar Zoochat territory after excursions to France & Scandinavia, though there will still be some surprises along the way ;)

Crowthorne, TeaLovingDave and CGSwans like this.
  17. lintworm

Zoologischer Garten Cologne

Founded: 1860
    Size: 20 hectares
    Mammals 84
    Birds 234
    Reptiles & amphibians 121
    Fish 241

The Koelner Zoo might be the best allround zoo in Germany, it has a strong collection of all major taxa, most enclosures are good to very good and the zoo is also heavily involved in conservation and has breeding results to match. In many things the zoo is not the best, but among the best. It doesn’t have the biggest reptile and amphibian collection, but it is still extensive with lots of rarities in beautiful terrariums. The same goes for the birds, which are mainly shown in about 20 nicely designed aviaries in the Fasanerie (though pheasants are a rarity here) and the waterfowl collection spread throughout the zoo is among the biggest as well. The problem is that also the signature exhibits don’t blow most people away. The rainforest house feels a bit cramped and rock-heavy, and Matschie’s tree cangaroo and Balabac kantjil can’t save it. The 2 hectare Asian elephant park is huge, but outdoors seems more built for African desert elephants than for Asian elephants, indoors is also big, but featureless. The Hippodom has large indoor pools for the Hippos and Crocodiles, but outdoors is a relatively small lawn for the Hippos shared with Sitatunga. The real stars in the Hippodom are however the many freeflying birds and the Sun squirrel and Rufous elephant shrew in a separate enclosure. The enclosure that is up with the very best in Europe is the one for Snow leopards. A speciality of the house are primates, with rarities like Red-shanked douc, Red howler monkey and Weddel’s tamarin. Most of their housings are not very pretty, but more than fine for the inhabitants. Especially the Ape house holds up well for a house built in the 80ies. The Kolner zoo is not a perfect zoo and won’t blow most people away, but allround it is among the best Europe has to offer. If you would have to show one zoo to an alien to explain the concept of zoos Cologne would probably be the best pick.

[​IMG]
    @FunkyGibbon , Snow leopard enclosure

[​IMG]
    @Malayan Tapir, Asian elephant house

[​IMG]
    @Goura , Hippodom

[​IMG]
    @Toddy , Reptile house

Zoochat gallery:
    Cologne Zoo | ZooChat

www.zoo-koeln.de

Zoo map:
    http://www.zoo-koeln.de/images/pdf/zooplan.pdf

18. lintworm

Germany - Zoo Duisburg

Founded: 1934
    Size: 16 hectares

Mammals 84
    Birds 58
    Reptiles & amphibians 27
    Fish 175

There is basically only one reason why Duisburg is a must-see in Europe and it swims…. Duisburg is a perfectly ordinary German zoo with a surprisingly strong Australian mammal selection: Koala, Wombat, Tasmanian devil, Echidna and Wallaroo are still pretty much rarities in Europe. Another strong point of the zoo are carnivores and Duisburg is famous for the amount of Fossa they breed. The problem of the zoo is however that many enclosures, from Elephants to Zebra and Lion to Bottlenose dolphin are all just rather ordinary. Two parts stand out though. The Aequatorium stands out negatively with its small indoor enclosures with bathroom charm. The collection is quite good with Roloway guenon, King colobus and White-naped mangabey. But except for the Gorilla outdoors, most of the enclosures are mediocre at best. Especially the Bornean orangutans got the short straw, even though they have stopped keeping Sumatran orangutan recently, the Bornean are still around. The Rio Negro building however stands out positively. Adjacent is a spacious enclosure for Giant otter and indoors there are free-roaming Toucan and Tamarin and some Sloth, Tamandua and Lowland paca as well. The highlight is off-course the only Orinoco river dolphin in Europe. For years zoochatters have been dreading the day he dies, but it hasn’t happened so far. The River dolphin is the last remnant from a Duisburg with Beluga, Commerson’s dolphin and Giant armadillo. Once the Boto has gone, Duisburg will have lost its main draw card for the zoo-nerd, though most visitors probably preferred the Bottlenose dolphins all along...

[​IMG]
    @Crowthorne , Koala house

[​IMG]
    @Crowthorne , Orang utan indoors in the Aequatorium

[​IMG]
    @Toddy , Rio Negro with the Boto

[​IMG]
    @FunkyGibbon , Spectacled bear enclosure

Zoochat gallery:
    Zoo Duisburg | ZooChat

www.zoo-duisburg.de

Zoo map:
    http://www.zoo-duisburg.de/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Lageplan_Zoo_2017.pdf

19. Goura

Goura Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Duisburg is one I seriously considered during my zoo trip in March/April of this year but ran out of time, mainly due to deciding to spend more time in Prague (and Plzen). I'd love to have visited, despite not being comfortable with the idea of cetaceans in captivity. Thanks for this great thread by the way.

20. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

The irony is that the Amazon River Dolphin is probably the cetacean species best-suited to captivity, as a vast amount of the past captive mortality for the species arose from trying to treat them like marine cetaceans and giving them tanks with uniform depths - the species needs varying pool depth, importantly including areas shallow enough for them to partially beach themselves to sleep. This kind of pool is much easier to provide than the large, deep pools which something like a Bottlenose Dolphin needs.

Unfortunately, the amount of individuals lost before this was realised means that collections will be incredibly loathe ever to attempt keeping river dolphins again.