Join our zoo community

Euros 2020 (2021)

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by amur leopard, 11 Jun 2021.

1. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member

The Euros are finally here! Already deep into the first game - unfortunately the first goal is an own goal by Turkey as they face Italy.

EDIT: And now two for Italy - getting sticky for Turkey - after all they've been on the back foot the entire game but defence looked fairly solid in the first half imo.

And again. Looking at Turkey's performance in the second half, I reckon Wales actually do have a good chance at getting at least third in their group, perhaps even second. Italy are almost definitely first by the looks of their performance.

Last edited: 11 Jun 2021
    HungarianBison likes this.
  2. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member

Italy v France one semi final both will win their group, other will be England /Spain, Germany or Portugal v Netherlands

3. amur leopard

Probably right - I do feel as if to an extent England have been unlucky with the knockout draw - they have to play either Portugal, Germany of France in the round of 16 - the winners of the last three major trophies in European football...

Speaking of difficult draws, group F is something else :D.

Personally supporting France and reckon they might have a good shot at the trophy if their egos don’t get to them.

HungarianBison likes this.
  4. pipaluk

Home advantage will probably be enough for Germany to come 2nd to France in group F. If that happens and England win their group it would be England v Germany at Wembley in the 2nd round. I'd reckon the winner of that could play France (or Italy) in the final

5. amur leopard

Hope to god Eriksen pulls through...

HungarianBison, Haasje and pangolin12 like this.
  6. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Been stabilised and take to hospital. Disgusted with BBC to not cutting from the pictures, I turned off as soon as I saw the situation and they were not cutting from the stadium. Heard they kept with it even when his wife was brought onto the pitch. (I know Danish TV direct it but still cut back to the studio).

Also credit to the Danish players for forming a bit of a barrier to try and stop it being shown.

7. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member

I am surprised that UEFA have allowed the game to be restarted shortly, but it seems that both teams want to go ahead - which seems to indicate that Eriksen's condition must be much better than everyone feared, thank goodness for that.

Benosaurus and pipaluk like this.
  8. taun

taun Well-Known Member

UEFA don't care its all about money, otherwise this shame of a tournament would not go ahead.
    1) Still in a global pandemic
    2) its crazy to hold it across Europe forget the pandemic and just think of the environmental impact.

Don't get me started on Fifa and next years would cup!

9. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Considering the reduction in fan numbers traveling, I wonder how the air miles combined does compare with a usual tournament.

10. taun

taun Well-Known Member

You do know this was the plan even before the pandemic? So fans not travelling is not really a positive.
    Even still its too much, its madness and pure greed from UEFA.

11. pipaluk

The fact Russia then Qatar were given the world cup was a joke, that much I agree on. The format for euro 2020 was the brainchild of a proven corrupt head of uefa, but once agreed what could they do apart from hold the whole thing in the UK & Ireland which I think was suggested!
    Glad the news on Eriksen is positive, I don't think the game should have gone ahead but I'm sure the Danish team would have been consulted! If they had refused to carry on I doubt uefa could have forced them,!

12. littleRedPanda

Actually, no I didn't. I'm a Scotland supporter so these silly get togethers don't really make an impression on me :D

13. littleRedPanda

Organisers Uefa said it agreed to restart the match "following the request made by players of both teams".

pipaluk likes this.
  14. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Ah make sense, so basically they hold a major trophy every two year alternating between the world cup and the european championship...;):D

Remember Euro 96 well and that Gazza goal, tbh I not really bothered by it all... so uninspiring watching England play. We will flop at some point like an like death and taxes the only guarantees in life.

15. littleRedPanda

I remember it more for Uri Gellar's 'touch' :D

16. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member

I read somewhere that Eriksen himself want the game to continue, so the players agree. I didn't watch the game, but judging from the mentality of the player (and the result to a certain extend), I don't think they should continue.

Jude T likes this.
  17. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Well he has promised to make Scotland win this time...:rolleyes:

18. taun

taun Well-Known Member

19. littleRedPanda

When I booked my visit for Edinburgh Zoo today, I hadn't realised the Scotland game was a 2pm kick off .... thankfully it was a good zoo visit and I wasn't tempted to leave and watch the match. Cracking second goal and good performance from their keeper too.
    During the coverage of the second game today, the commentator said "you have to be really bad to not get to the next round of this competition" .... I think that's a bit harsh.

Jude T likes this.
  20. amur leopard

Having now seen all the teams save Hungary and the three best teams in the tournament (in my opinion), I think of those that I am seen play Italy are perhaps the most convincing, though they played against what was, in my opinion again, a rather lacklustre Turkish side. Belgium were convincing as well, though Russia played quite poorly. Spain are looking fine, but absolutely lacking the clinical edge in the final third which is necessary against the best teams. England were convincing too but I thought Croatia were very disappointing for what it's worth.

HungarianBison, pipaluk and Jude T like this.