Join our zoo community

Euthanasia in Zoos

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by JessicaPhelps, 24 Dec 2014.

1. JessicaPhelps

JessicaPhelps New Member

2. dean

dean Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Educate people positively, explaining why the practice is necessary or negatively to show they kill their animals? Your question is rather ambiguous.
    Also as it is your first post, an intro telling us something a bout yourself would have been nice, before asking for our opinions.

3. agumon42

agumon42 Member 5+ year member

Euthanasia should only be an option if the individual animal is either incredibly sick or in a world of pain, whether it be a zoo animal or someone's pet. However, it should still be a last resort. That's just me though.

4. Cassidy Casuar

Cassidy Casuar Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

I don't think that euthanasia should ever be used to decrease the number of animals in a captive population; there should always be another zoo that is open to having members of whichever species a zoo has too many of. I also think that it is cruel to euthanise an animal simply because it was found to be illegally owned in private hands.

5. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

6. JessicaPhelps

JessicaPhelps New Member

What is your opinion on Euthanasia in zoos?

Hi everyone! My name's Jess and I'm doing a project on what people think about the different reasons zoos cull their animals and want to know what you think so if you're interested, follow the link below and fill out a questionnaire! I would be more than happy to share the results once it is finished, thankyou!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1q89RQ9K1Kt_f-rRJFcTVTTMILx3I9qdMcGBQaiimA7g/viewform

7. khakibob

khakibob Well-Known Member

"when was the last time you visited a zoo?"

Why no comments section with this question? Things like "why you visited?" would be an interesting insight & ad some rigour.

No questions about employment or commercial connection to zoo's either? Are you only sampling a particular group of stakeholders for a pre determined opinion?

Khakibob

8. Jackwow

Jackwow Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think I would quite like to be euthanized in a zoo. Either that or a pub.

9. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

Or at a bar in a zoo?

10. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Interesting project. I do not know what you exact aims are, like which part of the society you want to sample or if you want a representative sample of society, because here on zoochat, you sample a very small (but in general very biased) subset of society, with many people not even from the UK...

11. Jackwow

Jackwow Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Even better!

12. dean

dean Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Nail on the head K this is the second attempt at this question this poster has tried I asked last time why they don't introduce them selves, and even tell us about them selves, but no response. Not even what sort of project and to what ends the answers -I dare say hopefully anti -will be used.

13. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I've now merged the two threads.

14. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

that's because they don't actually care. It is just a numbers game so they can write their paper (and you may notice that many of these kinds of surveys show very little understanding of the subject, or even basic grammar skills much of the time). The link to the survey will be posted on a number of animal sites and there is zero requirement for the poster to go back to check any thread on any forum for responses, because the only response they need is the survey being filled out.