Join our zoo community

Euthanasia of healthy animals in zoos, and "Breed to Cull"

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by TeaLovingDave, 11 Feb 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I put a response to Toddy's general moral dilemmas in a separate thread.

So I am not the only one who finds stated motives of Copenhagen Zoo not really believable?

Indeed, actions of the zoo are indistinguishable in practice from breeding and killing cute cubs for profit.

I also wonder if what they want is showing people blood and gore, and only pretend this is teaching anatomy and some vacuous concept of cruelty in nature?

BTW, many civilized countries banned killing animals for education purposes (eg. school lessons of viviscecting frogs were replaced by showing plastic models). I would be interested why this is still allowed in Denmark?

Birdsage likes this.
  2. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I believe Animal was talking more zoos in general as oppose to just Copenhagen. And tons of private places mass produce babies for photographs, ect, and then just kill 'em. Zoos in general need to stop breeding all these excess animals. And maybe if places stopped breeding hybrid giraffes there'd be more places for the pure ssp, which we want, to go!

Okay, to suggest the zoo is breeding "cute cubs" just to slaughter them and show this to the public as some sick and cruel publicity stunt is pretty extreme. Come on now. Just because the zoo is more honest with what goes on behind the scenes with their public doesn't make them evil or anything. It's funny how easily people forget the good for the bad. Copenhagen I'm sure does some great work. They breed Tasmanian Devils for example.

I don't know which countries you're talking about because, here in the United States, I dissected frogs, insects, and crayfish in Biology class. And for the record, Marius wasn't put down for educational purposes, they just saw it as one since it was happening anyway.

~Thylo:cool:

Birdsage likes this.
  3. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

That reads as rather contradictory. Are you saying that it is unfair to characterize zoos as
    or that
    . Can you have it both ways? It is sick to say they do this AND they are honest for showing that they do this? :confused:

4. ThylacineAlive

I'm sorry, I should have clarified that better. I was saying that it's extreme to suggest they breed to cull just because the zoo is honest enough to let the public know when a cull is taking place. I certainly did not mean it as they're honest that they breed to cull.

Birdsage likes this.
  5. Animal Friendly

Animal Friendly Well-Known Member

Do I agree with Copenhagen Zoo putting down four lions this week, two of which were youngsters?, No. Do I agree with Copenhagen Zoo putting down Marius the young giraffe when a home was offered at Yorkshire Wildlife Park?, No. One thing I will say is , to a certain extent I respect the management for their blatant openness at what they did to these animals, similar recently happened at a well known safari park here in the UK, they were exposed for putting down lions, and later came out with a right old story to justify it, and I have also recently read that at the same park they shot two camels in the head, chopped them up and fed them to the lions, just like Marius the giraffe at Copenhagen. The Danes attitude and culture is of course different to ours here in the UK towards animals, one aspect of Danish culture I would dearly love to see being adopted here in the UK is the banning of Halal and Kosher slaughter, which became illegal in Denmark in February this year, this follows the ban already imposed in both Sweden and Norway. The Muslim council accused the Danes of being hypocrites, they ban this but condone the killing of a healthy young giraffe, rather feeble statement I would say.

6. ThylacineAlive

You're right. It's just a shame YWP only offered publicly once they knew it was too late instead of offering privately when the studbook was asking!

7. Animal Friendly

I think you will find that Copenhagen refused to send Marius to Doncaster as his brother is already placed there in their bachelor facility, therefore the genes of Marius were already represented in his brother so sending him there would be a "waste of space", what a dreadful expression to refer to something as majestic as a giraffe.

8. ThylacineAlive

And where did you get that from? YWP?

9. Animal Friendly

No, it was the statement made by the director of Copenhagen Zoo, not from anybody at Yorkshire Wildlife Park, Doncaster.

10. ThylacineAlive

Then perhaps it's true that the studbook didn't want to send Marius to the same collection as his brother but the fact remains that YWP's public offer to take Marius was not a true one.

11. Animal Friendly

It was not a true offer was it not, sorry I must have been mistaken, if you say it was not a true offer then of coarse I must have been mistaken, I sincerely apologise for contradicting someone as knowledgeable as your good self who obviously knows everything about this zoo in Doncaster, the reason most probably being that you live so near to it and are very familiar in how it is run, again, sorry.

12. ThylacineAlive

No need to get angry and defensive here. Don't judge a book by its cover my friend, just because I don't live by the zoo doesn't mean I don't know a thing or two. But just think about it. If the zoo knew they wouldn't be allowed to take the giraffe then why did they offer publicly, at the very, very, very last second at that, too. I do not believe I am the first and probably won't be the last to state this fact, which has been talked about on several threads.

13. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Now, now - no need for the passive aggressive retorts :p unlike Thylo, I *do* live relatively near to the collection in question, which I hope will meet your criteria for qualifying me to say that all the information I have heard does indeed indicate that, as Thylo says;

Incidentally, if you are who I suspect you are - didn't you vow never to return? Also, sockpuppet accounts are not permitted.

14. tschandler71

tschandler71 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Banning of Kosher/Halal would definitely not pass a 1st Amendment challege in the US.

15. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

16. dean

dean Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'm not sure what to make of this, it's rather in the form of Onion News, which I enjoyed when we got it on sky, this is amusing and I may say if it were true it may cause less of a reaction than the original giraffe.

The thing I find most disturbing is the comments section below, the Internet has avery dark under belly like all good fairy tails there has to be good and evil, but some of the comments are just plain nasty. The idea that this could be a spoof done to amuse Rather like Our Private eye magazine has gone over the anthropomorphic heads of most of the people who read it. It is said facts are the first casualty of war and also of Internet comment boards it seams.

Surprisingly it is the female of the species that are the most vindictive and least rational on such sites, may be it is the anonymityof cyber space I don't know.
    Sadly the Marius can of worms will fester for along time yet

17. Elephas Maximus

Elephas Maximus Well-Known Member

18. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Euthanasia.....

Can someone remove that last post please?

19. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Have just done so

20. Malayan Tiger

Malayan Tiger Well-Known Member

Totally not fair- you should understand; your avatars a giraffe. How could someone murder a giraffe in perfect health with his whole life ahead of him? Poor kid............

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.