Join our zoo community

Everland Zoo Everland, South Korea

Discussion in 'South Korea' started by vogelcommando, 11 Sep 2013.

1. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Giraffe gave birth to her 18th ( ! ) young :
    September 11, 2013

Mother Giraffe Sets a World Record at Everland Zoo

1 giraffe
    A world record has been set at Everland Zoo in South Korea: Jan-soon, a Reticulated Giraffe, gave birth to her 18th calf on September 8, making her the world's most prolific giraffe mother in captivity. After the birth, mother and calf are both healthy and bonding well.

Coincidentally, September 8 was also Jan-soon's 27th birthday, a respectable age for a giraffe. The peak lifespan of a giraffe in the wild is about 25 years. Jan-soon gave birth to her first calf at the age of four. As a giraffe's gestation period lasts about 15 months, Jang-soon has been carrying offspring most of her adult life. She has even given birth to twins.

2 giraffe

3 giraffe

4 giraffe
    Photo credits: Everland

Watch a video of the birth:

Jang-soon had shared the record of 17 offspring born in a controlled environment with a giraffe at Paris Zoo named Lamba, who died in 2005. Everland plans to have the record certified by the International Species Information System, a group that keeps a global database on zoo animals.

Jang-soon belongs to the endangered Reticulated Giraffe subspecies characterized by white-lined polygonal shapes on a brown coat. There are less than 5,000 reticulated giraffes living in the wild, mostly in eastern African nations like Somalia, Ethiopia and Kenya, according to the Giraffe Conservation Foundation.

2. threewishes

threewishes New Member

Hi vogelcommando,

Thank you for this post. It was good news and interesting too!

How is the rest of the zoo? I will be in South Korea in October.

3. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I've never been there so I can't tell anything about this zoo. In the Zoochat-gallery for South Korea you can find some photos of this place and I guess alone the Golden monkeys are already a good reason to visit this place ! If you are going to visit the Everland Zoo, please let us know what you think about it, give a small discription, tell us which animals you've seen and make some pictures !!!.........please :)