Join our zoo community

eXceptionally Young Zoologists (XYZ) Club Memories

Discussion in 'Zoo Memorabilia' started by Mrhinuk, 30 Jan 2017.

1. Mrhinuk

Mrhinuk Active Member

Back in 1959, at the tender age of11, I remember sending off a completed form and postal order to the Zoological Society of London, to enroll as a member of the XYZ Club. In exchange I received a membership card, badge and magazine, together with free tickets to visit either London or Whipsnade Zoos. I remember persuading by mother to take me to London Zoo; a day's outing by train from our home in Reading. Although not a very active member at that time, the XYZ Club fired my interest in the animal world which has continued throughout my life, such that now in my retirement I can devote more time to it. I would very much like to rekindle my memories of the XYZ Club and would be interested in hearing from others who were members of the club. I am also trying to obtain copies of the Zoo Magazine issued by the club each quarter. If any members have spare copies for disposal I would be interested in purchasing them.

zooboy, pipaluk and Tim May like this.
  2. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I too joined the Zoological Society's XYZ Club when I was eleven (in 1965).

Like you, membership stimulated my interest in zoology in general and zoos in particular.

I always enjoyed reading the Zoo Magazine; unfortunately, I have no spare copies of this publication.

3. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I was a member from 1977 to 1984 I think, a while after you. I still have virtually all the quarterly magazines from that era.

Living over an hour away from both zoos, I wasn't a very active member ( the meeting times for trips to other zoos were always too early!) , but I did attend zoo quest days at both zoos in the late 70s ( basically a quiz you filled in as you went around the zoo).

4. Tim May

5. garyjp

garyjp Well-Known Member 5+ year member

i was a member in the early 1980s

6. Shirkeira

Shirkeira New Member

Hello, I am a new member and I have joined because as a child I was an active member of the Young Zoologist Society of London and spent many happy days at London zoo, I think I joined roughly around 1969 and was a member for a few years. I attended a lot of brilliant seminars in London organised by the society and spent a lot of time at London Zoo.

7. Mrhinuk

Mrhinuk Active Member

Hi. Welcome to Zoochat. I hope you will enjoy being part of this online community. Apart from Zoochat, I am a member of the Bartlett Society which has at its main interest the study of zoo history. I have written several articles for their journal and, as a former member of the XYZ Club myself, have considered compiling an article on the history of the club. When I do, I would be interested in getting your memories of the various activities in which you were involved. Do you have any copies of Zoo Magazine from your time as a member. These are a useful resource for compliation of such a history.

Look forward to hearing from you and, again, enjoy Zoochat.

Mike H

8. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Hello Shirkeira

I was a member of the XYZ Club from 1968 to 1976, so I may have seen you at some events.

9. zooboy

zooboy Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I too was a member from the early 1960s until able to "graduate" to becoming an Associate Member of the ZSL. Unfortunately distance was one of many factors why I was normally unable to attend the XYZ Club meetings, which I regret, but the magazines were excellent and I still refer to them today. Does anyone have surplus copies as I would like to fill gaps in the set?

10. Eddie Buckley

Eddie Buckley New Member

When I was a child my mum worked at London Zoo. She had the very dangerous job of ‘feeding the butterflies’ in the insect house and both me and my sister used to love the school holidays going to the zoo with her. This was back in the 80’s and whilst we didn’t have to pay to go into the zoo then I joined the XYZ club as a child and loved the magazines and everything that came with it. I remember being ushered through with my mum and sister while accompanying her to work one day and proudly handing in my tickets to gain entry (although I didn’t need to use them at the time). I haven’t been to the zoo in years but remember the enjoyment as a child visiting and the warmth and smells from the insect house especially.

Crowthorne, ZooBinh and Tim May like this.
  11. johnpea

johnpea New Member

In about 1964 my mum took me to a meeting in a big hall in London somewhere. I can't remember what was said but I do remember that on the stage were Peter Scott, James Fisher, David Attenborough and George Cansdale, the first TV 'animal man'. I still have their autographs.

12. Sean ODonovan

Sean ODonovan New Member

I was a member in the early 1960s. I also went to the meeting with David Attenborough & Peter Scott. A friend (with me) asked David Attenborough if he thought there was an animal in Loch Ness. He said it might be a Plesiosaur!
    Living in London I could get to the Zoo easily & it sparked a lifelong interest.
    I became a biology teacher & taught the ‘Exotic animal’ module in BTEC.
    In 2000 I was able to study Macaques in the jungle in Sri Lanka paid for by the lottery fund. I now give talks on CITES.

pipaluk and HungarianBison like this.
  13. Dassie rat

In 1975 Peter Scott proposed the scientific name of Nessiteras rhombopteryx, meaning "the monster of Ness with the diamond shaped fin" for the Loch Ness Monster so it could be registered as an endangered species. The Daily Tele said the scientific name was an anagram of "Monster hoax by Sir Peter S". Robert Rees took two photos of 'Nessie' and said the scientific name was also an anagram of "Yes, both pix are monsters, R."

Birdsage likes this.
  14. Karen Saunders

Karen Saunders New Member

I went to Kenya and Tanzania with the XYZ club in August 1969 with Tessa, the Newcombe twins, a snake expert etc. Had the most fab time... decade's ago now. Wonder if anyone else on here went. Karen Saunders

15. Tim May

I envy your visit to Africa with the XYZ Club; it would be interesting to learn more about it.

I think that your reference to the "Newcombe twins" should really be the "Newmark twins" (who wrote the book "To the Zoo in a Plastic Box").

16. Dassie rat

I met the Newmark twins many years ago

17. Tim May

The Newmark twins (John & George) used to be regular attendees at the Zoological Society of London's Scientific Meetings; it was rare for them to miss a meeting. I saw them there numerous times.