Join our zoo community

Exhibit Designing Competition #2

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by fkalltheway, 4 Aug 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jesse

Jesse Well-Known Member

Thankyou..:)

2. Fossa dude

Fossa dude Well-Known Member

Just to let you guys know the recent contest is now closed and I will be setting a new one.

Fossa dude :)

3. Fossa dude

Canine or Feline Canyon

1) You can only choose Canine OR Felines to put in your exhibits.

2) All exhibits must be on the canyon or where the canyon was. You can level it all out or leave it the way it is. Your choice.

3) Elevated paths are optional.

4) Minimum of 6 enclosures and maximum of 12 enclosures.

5) 10 animals that are usually prey to your animals can be added too.

6) There must be a demonstration show thats teaches people about how powerful these animals are and some of their special adaptations that make them one of the top predators.

7) All animals must be held in captivity but I will allow 5 that are not and don't worry too much about trying to find if they are in captivity. I know how that can be a little difficult.

8) Don't be afraid to make large exhibits. I will be looking for an amazing exhibit that takes up room and uses it well.

9) At least one exhibit should feature information about a tribal community from the animals area. The information about the tribe should include how they use the animal or any subject as long as it includes that the animal and tribe coexist.

10) The deadline is 7:00 p.m. Monday MTZ.

I hope you enjoy designing this exhibit. Good luck and have fun.

Fossa dude

4. Fossa dude

I can see how number nine is very challenging so if it helps, I will delete that one from the rules. If there are any other questions please ask.

5. KCZooFan

KCZooFan Well-Known Member

I keep wanting to make one, but I never have time. I'll try tonight or tommorow:)

6. Fossa dude

@KCZooFan - If you would like me to lengthen the time I would happily do it.

7. KCZooFan

Here is mine. I was a little low on great ideas, but its not too bad:

My exhibit is called World of Feline. It is on a leveled out canyon formerly home to several bear exhibits A sometimes densely planted and sometimes barren and sandy pathway leads by six different species of cat, as well as prey animals. All predator exhibits are seen across large moats, while the prey can be seen close up over low-lying fences.
    As you first enter, you will hear the roar of a waterfall. A large jungle exhibit of a jaguar is complete with a large pool and underwater viewing. From atop an Aztec ruin, the jaguar will be able to see a mixed species exhibit. Capybaras and chacoan peccaries live in a similarly lush exhibit complete with a stream.
    After you leave the jungle of Central America, the New World foliage is replaced by Asian plants. A Javan leopard is often hidden behind the large boulders that adorn his home. The largest rock allows the leopard views of its prey, a large heard of guars. The guars have a 4 acre exhibit giving them plenty of room to graze.
    As the hilliness of the terrain increases, the plant density decreases. Several Siberian tigers live in a snowy hillside exhibit. A side trail leads guests to a cave on the side of the hill for close up views of the exhibit. The tigers can also be seen underwater in an interpretive viewing hut. Across the path, red deer and wild boar share a flatter, more forested exhibit.
    Before leaving the mountainous area of this exhibit, you will come across a mountain lion exhibit, complete with many tall trees for these arboreal cats. They can be viewed close up in a trappers cabin, complete with several North American reptile exhibits. From several tall trees, the large cats can view their natural prey, Rocky Mountain bighorn sheep.
    The geographical section is Africa. Cheetahs live a grassy exhibit, which can be viewed from an elevated boardwalk over it. These speedy felines can be viewed doing a training session once a week where a lure is pulled through their exhibits, demonstrating their amazing speed. Visible in the distance from the boardwalk is a large group of Grant’s gazelles.
    The last and largest exhibit is home to a pride of over twenty lions in a six acre, lightly planted exhibit, covered in heated rocks for the lions’ enjoyment. From a large jutting rock, they can spy upon gemsbok and sable antelope.
    As you leave, you go through a building with guest amenities and a stuffed liger. Several televisions show big cats in the wild, while a family tree on the wall shows how all species of cats are related. Several boxes allow guests to donate money to conserving any of the six cats the saw. Outside was is 200 ft tall elevator observation tower from which people can see all of the big cat and prey exhibits from above.

8. Fossa dude

Very amazing KCZoo Fan. I can really envision the exhibit from a above view. thank you very much for taking the time to do an exhibit.

The deadline to 7:00 p.m. on Wednesday MTZ.

9. KCZooFan

Thanks:) I hope some more people decide to make one, as this exhibit was funner to make than I thought it would be.

10. Fossa dude

Ok so there was only one design so I guess it will be going to KCZOOFAN!!!!!!!!!

Good job and good luck with your design. I will return the favor you gave me by doing your competition. Thank you again

Fossa dude:)

11. KCZooFan

I am not sure if anyone is even paying attention to this thread anymore, but I make a challenge.

A zoo has a small collection of Asian animals that it needs to give larger, better exhibits.

1. The exhibit must have these animals: 0.1 bingturongs, 3.0 Francois langurs, 1.1 red pandas, 2.4 Sumatran orangutans, 2.0 Sumatran tigers, 1.1 wreathed hornbills, 1.1 Bali mynahs, 1.1 demoiselle cranes, 0.1 golden pheasants, 0.2 Mandarin ducks, 1.1 common shelducks, and 1.2 red crowned cranes.

2. The area has to be themed around south-east Asia.

3. You can include up to 30 other species.

4. You have to have at least 3 mixed-species exhibits.

5. There has to be at least 2 species of reptiles/amphibians, and one fish species.

6. The exhibit cannot be all indoor, but can be partially indoor.

7. There has to be at least 1 underwater viewing of a mammal.

8. Enjoy :D

(If you didn't guess, these are all the animals from the KC Zoo's Tiger Trail, and I'm hoping for an inovative idea for the area)

Last edited: 15 Oct 2010
  12. Fossa dude

When is the deadline?

13. KCZooFan

Sunday at 7:00 Central Time (GMT -6:00)

14. KCZooFan

I forgot about the end of the competition, and as no one has entered, I am extending it to 7:00 PM Central (GMT -6:00) on Wednesday.

15. Dibatag

Dibatag Well-Known Member

I will try to fit mine in, I have been quite busy.

16. Kudu21

Kudu21 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'll actually try and do this one. Hopefully I won't be that busy and I'll be able to get it in. Though you know, Red Pandas and Red Crowned Cranes are kind of hard to fit into a South-east Asian themed exhibit ;)

Last edited: 18 Oct 2010
  17. KCZooFan

Less than three hours to finish up your designs :)

18. KCZooFan

Once again I am extending the deadline to 7:00 pm Central Time Friday

19. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

By the looks of it this thread has ran out of steam!!

20. KCZooFan

The deadline is over, and no one has entered, I guess I am going to close the competition for good:( I guess if anyone else wants to start this back up, they can, vut I'm done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.