Join our zoo community

Exhibit Designing Competition

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Indlovu, 6 Jul 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Indlovu

Indlovu Well-Known Member 10+ year member

African Indoor Rainforest

Here is my Indoor Rainforest:

Welcome to the African Indoor Rainforest. As you walk into the building, you are plunged into darkness, and after a few seconds of being completely disorientated, visitors realise they are in a small-ish room, where there are signs warning visitors that they are about to enter a walk-through Bat Enclosure, and if they do not wish to do so they can follow a different route.
    So for those who dare, they enter a dimly lit 'cave' with Egyptian Fruit Bats (Rousettus aegyptiacus) flying around. Hidden in the cave there is also a pair of vivaria with African Rock Pythons (Python sebae) - These vivaria are more brightly lit.
    So after walking round the winding path which leads through the cave, visitors pass through a 'rope' barrier and a door, where they are reunited with those who didn't enter the cave. They then pass through another door, and find themselves in a brighter lit room, where they can hear rainforest sounds. They go through another rope barrier and find themselves in a walk-through aviary featuring the following:
    Congo Peafowl (Afropavo congensis), Knysna Turaco (Tauraco corythaix), Violet Turaco (Musophaga violacea) and White-bellied Go-away-bird (Corythaixoides leucogaster).
    After exiting the walk through, visitors find themselves in a massive, well lit room, where they feel as if they are in a rainforest. On the roof there is a large net with branches and leaves hanging from it (to create the canopy), and the room is heavily planted. The path winds to the left, and there are signposts saying 'River'. They arrive at a pool for Slender-snouted crocodile (Crocodylus cataphractus), and as they travel down the now straight path, they see similarly styled enclosures for East African Black Mud Turtle (Pelusios subniger) and Nile Monitor (Varanus niloticus) (All of these appear to be part of a river). As the river gets shallower, visitors find themselves at a mixed aviary for the following:
    Hadada Ibis (Bostrychia hagedash), African Spoonbill (Platalea alba), Yellow-billed Stork (Mycteria ibis) and Spotted Thick-knee (Burhinus capensis).
    The river comes to an end in an exhibit for Allen's Swamp Monkey (Allenopithecus nigroviridis), and next to that there are other primate enclosure with Diana Monkey (Cercopithecus diana), King Colobus (Colobus polykomos) and Collared Mangabey (Cercocebus torquatus) the path then winds on towards the ungulates area. As they travel down this path there is a vivarium for Gaboon Viper (Bitis gabonica), and a mixed aviary for African Grey Parrot (Psittacus erithacus) and Red-fronted Parrot (Poicephalus gulielmi). They finally find themselves in the ungulates area, which begins with a clearing in which a family of Red River Hog (Potamochoerus porcus) reside. There are then two enclosures, one for Okapi (Okapia johnstoni) and the other for Western Bongo (Tragelaphus eurycerus eurycerus). A family of Natal Red Duiker (Cephalophus natalensis) have access to both of these enclosures along with their own quarters. Finally, the path reaches a door and visitors find themselves in the real world again.

Please tell me if I've made a mistake! I'm also a little bit after the deadline but it took me 20 minutes to type up, longer than I expected :(.

Harry

Last edited: 8 Jul 2010
  2. Indlovu

How about, so I have some competition, we extend the deadline by two hours?

3. Javan Rhino

Javan Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

If the deadline hasn't gone, I shall do one :) Just give me a little time to get a good idea...*ponders whether to do S. America, Africa or Indonesia*

4. Indlovu

I think we'll extend it until 2000 GMT+1 tonight.

5. Javan Rhino

AMAZON DOME

The Amazon Domes are two massive biodomes that hold species of animals and plants native to the Amazon Rainforest. The visitor enters the first bio-dome via a rectangular ‘entrance building.’ In this building are several small vivariums for poison dart frogs (Strawberry Dart Frogs, Dyeing Poison Dart Frogs, Blue Poison Dart Frogs and Yellow-Banded Poison Dart Frogs). There is also a large tank for Red-Bellied Piranahs and a large structure for Leaf-Cutter Ants.

Once inside the first dome, the visitor is greeted by 5 species of free-flying hummingbirds (I don't know which species are represented in captivity) that can be fed with small pots of nectar (purchased in the entrance building). A winding path takes the visitor through the first dome, in which is a pair of Two-Toed Sloths and a seperate island for Black-Handed Spider Monkeys.

The path leads the visitor out of the first dome and into a large, walkthrough parrot aviary with Scarlet Macaws, Hyacinth Macaws, Blue-and-Yellow Macaws and Golden Conures. Along the edge of the path are a trio of seperate, secondary aviaries for Scarlet Ibis, Keel-Billed Toucan and King Vultures.

The visitor is then led into the second dome, in which they will be greeted by a good amount of free-range primates (Golden Lion Tamarins, Golden-Headed Lion Tamarins, Pied Tamarins, Cotton-top Tamarins, Silvery Marmosets and Geoffroy’s Marmosets). Two large vivariums in this dome hold Green Anacondas and Emerald Tree Boas.
    The main feature of this dome, however, is the large, lush jungle in which resides a pair of Jaguars (one spotted, one melanistic).

This jungle is large, with South American trees and plenty of enrichment areas for the two jaguars. There are also well-hidden areas and off-show dens, as well as a large pool for swimming.

I think that's all right. Sorry it is not very detailed. I may edit some more in later if I have more time :).

6. Indlovu

There's still time for more entries with about 50 minutes remaining!

7. siamang27

siamang27 Well-Known Member

The winner is Javan Rhino!

Although haz_cat's exhibit was also very good.

Hopefully some more people can do this as well so it isn't just the 3 of us...

8. Paix

Paix Well-Known Member

I will join in for the next one, I just didnt have time for the past two! :D

9. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

Congratulations!

Now that's interesting. Do you know of any zoo where visitors feed hummingbirds? Lorikeets, parakeets, etc. I have seen many of. But my understanding of hummingbirds is that they'd never go for it. And given how territorial they can be, even with several species you'd have few birds for the visitors.

Not intending to throw water on the Contest or your idea... just hoping to learn something I don't know!

10. Javan Rhino

It is highly possible that this wouldn't work (I don't know much about birds, I just thought that it would be a cool idea :)). I certainly wouldn't try it in a real-life situation before consulting experts on the matter.

Anyway, my challange is thus:
    This is Haz_Cat's topic, so it all depends if this is alright with him, but I will give a deadline of 18:00 on Monday 12th July. This give a little extra time for people to get their entries in over the weekend :).

Last edited: 9 Jul 2010
  11. PAT

PAT Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The whole area of "Africa in Danger" would be planted with well established Acacias and Palms in the exhibits and in the visitors space to create a scene that evokes the stereotypical Africa that everyone's familiar with.
    As an entrance to the exhibit there would be a winding path through the immitated landscape to set the scene for the visitors. This path would lead out to an African style viewing shelter with windows seperating the guests from a pack of African Wild Dogs (about 2:4). All of the barriers would be hidden moats to allow for uninterupted views into the surrounding bush as well as a secondary exhibit for Black Rhinos(1:0) that seem to be in the same exhibit as the Wild Dogs but there is a hidden moat in between. On one wall of this viewing structure would be a large TV playing a short video on repeat about Wild Dogs hunting strategies, why they're endangered and actions being taken to fix this. Throughout the exhibit would be remote controlled feeders that the keepers can fill with certain treats and what not that will open at different times everyday so the dogs never know what to expect and these could be disgusied as logs, rocks etc.
    After the guests move off from this viweing area they will follow another winding path to another exhibit for Grevy's Zebra(1,3) Black Rhinos(0:1) and Slender-horned Gazelle(1:6). The Rhinos would be seperated into the front part of this exhibit by fallen trees, termite mounds and rocks so that the Zebras and Gazelles can get away if need be. This exhibit would be viewed over a small moat with a very minimal, natural looking barrier so visitors will feel part of the exhibit. Again this exhibit will have hidden barriers at the back and sides and enrichment would include a mud wallow for the rhinos and treat dispensers for the zebras. There would be off exhibit spaces for all the species as well.
    As you walk away from the mixed savannah you come across and island for Eastern Red Colobus (2:4) that is well planted with acacias and palms as well as lots of deadfall. The off exhibit areas would be hidden in a kopje inspired building and enrichment for the species would include more disguised treat dispensers that go off at random times.
    Just before you leave the area there is a builing off the path that invites visitors in to see what is being done for the species that have been represented in the exhibits as well as other species that are in danger throughout Africa and the causes (habitat fragmentation etc). One whole wall of this bulding would be an underwater view of a pool for Slender-snouted Crocodiles (1:1). The pool would be very natural and beautiful (and does this count as a terrarium?). Another view out of the conservation building would be into an aviary for Egyptian Vultures (2:2). The large, fine-meashed aviary would be rocky and have dead trees for the vultures to rest and nest in. After the guest have learnt enough they leave the "Africa in Danger area and join the rest of the zoo.

p.s. I was gonna use wattled crane as my bird but found out they're only vulnerable.

Enjoy. :)

12. kbaker116

kbaker116 Well-Known Member

Do species have to be attainable in captivity, or could they be imported from Africa? For example I was researching Giant Sable Antelope which are critically endangered, but could they in this case be imported if not in other collections?

13. siamang27

I was just using whatever African species I wanted that were endangered or critically endangered, and most aren't in captivity. I've come up with the list of animals I want to include and will post the full exhibit tomorrow.

14. Indlovu

How about for the dealine we go for 18:00 on Sunday (GMT+1) and then extend it 24 hours if there aren't quite enough competitors :)

15. Indlovu

Also, just another question, do they have to be currently in captivity?

16. Javan Rhino

Questions Answered :)

@PAT: Yes, your crocodile pool counts towards the vivarium, since I was already going to alter it to be more of a 'reptile exhibit,' therefore crocodile pools and tortoise exhibits are fine.

@kbaker116 and Haz_Cat: Animals do not have to be represented in captivity. On the whole I disagree with wild animals being taken into captivity unless there is a real need (like with the California Condor), however since this is all a bit of fun, let your imagination run wild. I love the sound of Giant Sable Antelope (a great animal on Zoo Tycoon 2 for savannahs).

Haz_Cat's timeframe stands. The closing date is 11/07/10 at 18:00 British time. If there aren't enough entries this will be extended by 24 hours (I am at Chester Zoo on Sunday, so I will look when I get back).

17. EvilKittie

EvilKittie Well-Known Member

The "Africa In Danger" will be a large immersion exhibit which be planted with lots of African scrubs, grasses and trees such as Acacia and Baobabs, African Daises and Elephant Grass or Blackthorn Bushes.

There will be a path that winds its way through a walk-through aviary containing Thyolo Alethe (2.2) and Marungu Sunbird (3.3). This mixed walk-through aviary will be themed like a small African Village which is surrounding a shallow lake with a small island in the middle which will hold a Acacia Caffra Tree to act as a good nest site for some of the birds. There will 3 main viewing areas with information about the birds and what they are doing to help these species, which will be made to look like African Huts. There will be an off-show area for chicks and for hand-rearing the birds if the parents can't look after them.

As you carry down along the path you will reach a large river which will contain Slender-snouted Crocodile (1.1). This river is fed by a large waterfall. You cross the river over a wooden bridge that is built to show what the bridges are like in Africa. The path will than follow the river downstream until you get to a underwater viewing area for the exhibit. This viewing area will hold information about the affect on poaching on crocodiles across the world while focusing on the Slender-snouted Crocodile.

You carry down along the path and you will go through a small woodland which will highlight the dangers of forest fires to the habitat and to the animals. This information will be shown by information boards and a video that repeats its self which talks about what happens in forest fires and ways to control it.

As you leave the woodland you reach a raised walk way in the same style as the bridge over the Slender-snouted Crocodile exhibit this will go over a large open plan exhibit that will contain Addax (1.3), Giant Sable Antelope (1.3), Western Giant Eland (1.2), Dama Gazelle (2.7). This mixed exhibit will also contain Black Rhinoceros (0.1) this female Black Rhinoceros has got access to a male Black Rhinoceros which will be in a off-show exhibit. The other animals have also got access to a "rhino-proof" area which will be on show. They will be separated by several posts which will be disguised as either trees or rocks or termite mounds.

Further along the raised walk way you will reach a hill which the path will go up to the summit. This hill will be used for Ethiopian Wolves (2.6) this exhibit will be designed to look like the Ethiopian highlands with lots of rocks and lots of hiding places for the wolves to go out of view. There will be several holes in the ground for enrichment which keepers can put food in the holes and let the wolves get them out. The viewing area will have boards about how these wolves are being endangered due to rabies and other problems.

As you leave the hill on the other side you go head down hill towards the rest of the zoo and the you will walk down lots of boards on most of the animals in Africa that are endangered and why.

18. Swedish Zoo Fan

Swedish Zoo Fan Well-Known Member

OK, I’ll give it a try. ‘Africa in Danger’ is a new exhibit, showing only endangered species from the African wildlife. The first exhibit the visitors see is the river, where the pygmy hippos have their exhibit. The exhibit is viewed from a wooden bridge, where the visitors viewing area is located. The stables are open for public, and the hippos can be seen under water through big glass windows along the river. The hippos have some enclosures, not available for public, where they can be if they have babies etc. The next exhibit is just by the river, and it’s a big aviary for a pair of Egyptian vultures. Their aviary is high and the birds can fly for real here. The river ends in this aviary. There is also a second aviary for breeding of the vultures, not available for the visitors. Next enclosure is the big wooden exhibit for the group of African wild dogs. They have a huge exhibit, with not so much trees, so it will look more like a savannah, and the zoo keeps a big group here. There are isolation enclosures if the dogs have babies. Near the wild dogs is the house and exhibit for slender-snouted crocodiles. They have an outdoor exhibit, with underwater viewing, and they also have a glass house, and the public can come close to the crocs in the house. The house is warm, and the exhibit is decorated with plenty of tropical plants, so it feels like you’re really in Africa. Then, you come to the big highlight, the savannah for different species. On the savannah lives Black rhinoceros, Grevy’s zebra, Dama gazelle, Addax and African Wild Ass. The visitors see the savannah from different viewing points, where there are also info tables about the animals in Africa, and their status in the wild. Not visible for the public are the stables and the isolation enclosures for the savannah animals. The last exhibit in the ‘Africa in Danger’ is the netted enclosure for the rare Tana River mangabeys. Their exhibit is very big and green, the visitors can see them through the netting and glass windows. They can also be seen indoors, in a very modern indoor enclosure. In their enclosure also lives Marungu sunbirds. The last part of the ‘Africa in Danger’ is the fact centre, where the visitors can learn about the African wildlife, with different endangered species to read about. Here, the visitors can also see the mangabeys in their indoor exhibit.

Enjoy my ‘Africa in Danger’

19. siamang27

This will be divided into 2 areas: forest and savanna.

When you enter the exhibit, the first thing you see is a small lake with 2 islands. These islands contain Zanzibar Red Colobus and Preuss's Guenon and are heavily planted with African plants and trees. Further on you pass pools for Pygmy Hippopotamus and Slender-snouted Crocodile. Both of these also have underwater viewing and land areas. The next exhibit is an aviary for various African birds that are endangered. It contains a small pond surrounded by forest, with lots of vegitation. This is not a walk-through aviary however. It contains Meller's Duck, Madagascar Teal, Sociable Lapwing, Udzungwa Partridge, Pink Pigeon, Bannerman's Turaco, Uluguru Bush-shrike, Mauritius Olive White-eye and Usambara Weaver.

Now you leave the forest and come to the savanna. The main exhibit here is a mixed species one, about 3 acres for Grevy's Zebra, West African Giraffe and Speke's Gazelle. There are also large separate paddocks nearby for a male and female Black Rhinoceros. The last exhibit you encounter is a large hilly exhibit, about 1.5 acres for Saharan Cheetah which gives them plenty of room to hide from visitors.

20. Indlovu

Right, I've been doing a lot of planning and research and today I realise that it's only meant to cover African Savannah - I've been working on a whole zoo that covers Africa (as in Sahara desert right down to Mauritius) - would I still have a shot with this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.