Join our zoo community

Exhibit Designing Competition

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Indlovu, 6 Jul 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Indlovu

Indlovu Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I guess I'll post it anyway because otherwise I have been wasting my time :p

The park is split into 5 areas - Islands, Mountains, Forest, Plains and Desert - so here they are...
    The Forest
    The Forest is probably the second largest section of the park. The centre of the area is a large island for Western Lowland Gorillas, who are mixed with Zanzibar Red Colobus. Surrounding this are slightly smaller islands for Drill/Dryas Monkeys, Tana River Mangabeys and Bonobos. To the south of these Islands there is a paddock for Eastern Bongo/Jentink's Duiker and a pool for Slender-snouted Crocodiles.
    Islands
    Islands is basically one building. It houses wildlife from Madagascar and Mauritius, one on each floor. The bottom floor has indoor viewing for Red Ruffed/Black-and-white Ruffed Lemurs, Sclater's Lemur, Crowned Sifaka and Aloatran Gentle Lemurs. These also have Islands outside. Upstairs are a series of aviarys housing Pink Pigeon, Mauritius Olive White-eye, Mauritius Fody, Mauritius Parakeet and Rodrigues Flying Fox. An area of the Lemur's moat is an exhibit for Meller's Duck/Bernier's Teal.
    Desert
    Is probably the third largest area of the zoo. It features paddocks for Addax, Scimitar Oryx/Rhim Gazelle and Arabian Oryx/Dorcas Gazelle. There is also a large exhibit for Northwest African Cheetah and an aviary for Egyptian Vultures.
    Mountains
    Is quite coincidentally based on a hill. It is made up of three enclosures, one of which is for Nubian Ibex, another is for Mountain Nyala and the last and most interesting houses Ethiopian Wolves.
    Plains
    Is the highlight of the zoo. There are enclosures for African Painted Dogs and one for a male Eastern Black Rhinoceros, and there are two mixed exhibits:
    -The Female Eastern Black Rhinoceros, who is mixed with a small herd of Grevy's Zebra.
    -A mixed paddock with Rothschild's Giraffes, African Wild Ass and Giant Sable Antelope. These also have individual housing if required.

So I guess that doesn't comply with the rules. My 'back-up' entry is the Plains area along with the Crocodile Pool and Vulture aviary, but I thought I'd share the whole thing with you :).

2. Fossa dude

Fossa dude Well-Known Member

Africa in Danger

Hi. I am really new to ZooChat so I hope I am doing everything correctly.

You start in a masai village on a dirt trail. As you make your way through the village, you can go inside the masai homes and learn about what the masai think of Africa's endangered wildlife by watching a documentary and reading information placques. Once you make your way through the houses, you see a small dirt road that takes you to a small overhanging surrounded by a large watering hole. Rothschild's Giraffe, Giant Sable Antelope, Coke's Hartebeest, Grevy's Zebra, Western Giant Eland, and Zanzibar Suni come to this large watering hole in a mixed species exhibit. From the overhanging you can see many acacia trees, tall grass, rocks, and termite mounds. As you are along the trail walking, you come along a rest stop and a small safari style cafe. Once you make your way through the rest area, the dirt path widens. As you get closer and closer, you slowly hear the fierce call of the Wild African Dogs that lives in this large habitat. While your walking up the trail and listening to the Wild Dogs, you notice a small kjobe type building. As you enter the kjobe, you find your self face to face with the fierce and unknown Wild African Dog. Exiting the building you see a long high fence guarded by a rope fence. As you are still walking down further into Dog territory, you notice the grass is almost taller than you. You can barely make out a Wild Dog until you stop abruptly. You turn and see a moated part of the habitat. A small stream runs into the valley and down the rocky moat. This is where you can see the whole exhibit. As you go deeper into the exhibit, you see a artificial impala kill were keepers put there food and other enrichment. The carcass is put in a different spot every time so you really have to look. Once you've seen the exhibit, you notice a far away building and a gate the stretches farther then you can see. As you walk even father into the hot savannah, you notice one more building with the high gate. This is where the breeding area is for the Wild African Dogs and is almost invisible to the public so that they are less distracted and more natural like the ones in Africa. When you are walking along the wide dirt trail, you look down and find yourself on a bridge over a large and steep valley and then you see a baby Rothschild's Giraffe right under you and a mother looking right at you. As you are walking on the bridge, you walk up to a pergulla with a information placque and rest stop. You turn around and see a slowly elevated dirt area where the giraffe come in and out of the larger exhibit to their smaller one or night quarters. Once you get off the bridge, you see the smaller and night quarter exhibits for the Giant Sable Antelope, Coke's Hartebeest, Grevy's Zebra, and Western Giant Eland. The Giant Sable Antelope has a more wooded area and dead logs that keepers put treats in for enrichment. The Grevy's zebra, Coke's Hartebeest, and Western Giant Eland have each a large grassy exhibit with small ponds and fake termite mounds for enrichment. All the exhibits have the same elevated dirt path in the exhibit to get to the larger one. As you look at these enormous herds of endangered ungulates roaming through the exhibits something catches your eye. A smaller exhibit with many ragged rocks and bushes. It is like a normal kjobe exhibit but without the glass fence, large rocks and enclosed area. This seems larger and more open with a wooden safari fence. After you think it is just scenery, you hear rustling in the bushes. As you look closer, you see small horns and then a little Zanzibar Suni jumps right out of the bush and runs to another. After the little suni, you can finally see the larger part of the ungulate exhibit. You are at the side of the exhibit where the rotating usually takes place but in the corner of the side is a part full of thick trees, bushes and rocks. This is where most of the Zanzibar Suni live. As you walk along the path even more you see the larger exhibit clearer. You see many large herds grazing and resting with many young on an amazingly breath taking hill and valley. A small grove of acacia thorn trees is on the other side of the larger exhibit. This is where the giraffe herds spend most of their time. This is where you can get even closer to this rare giraffe. After you have seen the last part of the larger exhibit, rock will slowly become a fence to a large breeding area and rotation exhibit for the Critically Endangered Eastern Black Rhinoceros and South-Centeral Black Rhinoceros. Only three of the eight exhibits are visible from this point. The first exhibit is the male exhibit. The second exhibit is for females. and the third is for mothers that can take themselves off and on exhibit if they feel like it(these three exhibits are for both species). All of the grassy exhibits are very large with water, trees, and mud wallows. The other three exhibits cannot be seen but the fourth and fifth is viewed by a safari jeep tour. When you think it might be over, the highlight is just coming. As you load up in a safari jeep, you experience the animals up close. The first exhibit shows you a herd of females or one male Eastern Black Rhinoceros and the second part shows you a young male or mother and calf South Central Black Rhinoceros. As you go to the larger exhibit, you are amazed to see herds of many animals running in all directions. Once you come out of the larger exhibit, you might think you are going back to the masai village but you enter a unusual gate with hot wire all around the top. You get a feeling you are in Jurassic Park as you hear frightening sounds and then it sinks in. The jeep went to an off location were Wild African Dogs live. When you are driving through you think its not safe and you want to go back but you are way too deep in their territory. You can hear them all over but you can't see them. The car stops and you squeeze to your seat not wanting to look out the window but when you do, you see a feeding frenzy. The driver throws out clumps of raw meat and bones. After you see the feeding, you drive up to a large building with many netted exhibits connected to the building. Once the jeep stops and you unload, you look at the pitch black doors in awe of what could be living inside the large building. You open the door and get hit with a flush of hot air. As you walk in slowly, you notice you are inside of a long tunnel. As you look closer, you see other smaller tunnels with Giant Golden Moles inside. After a good look at the side of the mole, you notice The Giant Golden Mole is on the top of you the bottom of you and the side. You feel like your in a underground shark tunnel. As you exit the tunnel, you see a large Savannah desert looking cage with a small concrete and wooden fence. It is very rugged with many burrows and plants. After a while you might see the Critically Endangered Riverine Rabbit hiding in the rock and bushes. Or you may see little babies in the multiple burrows. The last animal in the nocturnal house you see are the Zanzibar Suni. The little antelope is more active at night and will be more likely to be seen. When you exit the building you will see netted cages for the zanzibar suni, Riverine Rabbit, and the final exhibits in the park are 3 large breeding aviaries for the Thyolo Alethe. These aviaries can connect to a bigger building so they can take themselves off and on exhibit if they want to and a large indoor vivarium where the geometric tortoise lives. It also has four other breeding areas ouside that are private so visitors can't see them. As you exit the park, you go back through the same masai village you entered.

Last edited: 11 Jul 2010
  3. Paix

Paix Well-Known Member

You know, that is one of the best fantasy designs I have ever seen on Zoochat, but a little point. You havent included atleast 1 aviary and vivarium! Add them in quickly!

4. Fossa dude

ok so sorry I thought the the mixed exhibit would count, my bad.

The final exhibits in the park are 3 large breeding aviaries for the Thyolo Alethe. These aviaries can connect to a bigger building so they can take themselves off and on exhibit if they want to and a large indoor vivarium where the geometric tortoise lives. It also has four other breeding areas that are private so visitors can see them.

Not sure how to add this to the original post. But would this work

5. Fossa dude

O sorry I fixed it.

6. Indlovu

@Fossa dude, that should work, and of course, welcome :)

7. Indlovu

For those that haven't realised, the dealine has now passed. Hopefully Javan Rhino will declare the winner sometime tonight so we can move on to the next challenge. So far we've had:

1) Orang-utan exhibit - Challenge by haz_cat, won by siamang27
    2) Indoor Rainforest - challenge by siamang27, won by Javan Rhino
    3) Africa in Danger - challenge by Javan Rhino, won by - well, definately not me.

8. Fossa dude

Thank you .

9. Javan Rhino

Javan Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I had a hard time picking a winner out of this bunch, but alas I must state one. Congratulations to Fossa Dude.

There were a few things that I liked most about this one. The first was the wide range of species not mentioned by anybody else. I also like the two rhinoceros subspecies instead of the one, as well as the use of Geometric Tortoises (breaking away from everybody using Slender-snouted crocs). The final thing was the jeep tour. This wasn't against any rules and it really added another dimension to the area.

As I've mentioned though, all entries were brilliant. @Haz_Cat, I liked that you also thought outside the box to bring us species from other areas of Africa :)

10. Indlovu

That wasn't thinking outside the box, it was a mistake :p

11. Javan Rhino

Javan Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Hehe, nonetheless I really liked the idea :)

12. Fossa dude

so do I make a contest?

13. Indlovu

@Fossa Dude, yep

14. Fossa dude

Continents of the World

So you are in charge of a new exhibit at a children's zoo. It's completely indoors and your task is to make seven exhibits that represent each continent. Here is the catch. In each exhibit there must be only 1 species of mammal, 1 species of bird, 1 species of amphibian, 1 species of reptile, 1 species of fish, and 1 species of insect or arachnid. They all have to be together in an ecosystem. They really don't have to match with each other, so be creative. With Antarctica you can do whatever you feel like putting in a cold exhibit. It just has to be from the area. You can only have one species but you can have multiples of that species. The deadline is in 3 days, July 14 at 3 p.m. Have fun and good luck.

15. Indlovu

what time zone is that?
    Plus do you have to have one of each? I don't know amphibians too well

16. fkalltheway

fkalltheway Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Just a couple of questions

So does this mean that all of those animals have to be found in the same exhibit space or that they must be found in the same ecosystem in the wild? I just think it'd be tough to keep insects alive for long in the same exhibit as the rest of those animals.

What does this refer to? The species in the exhibits or the ecosystems you choose for each continent?

So for this does the 1 mammal, 1 bird, ...etc. still apply?

17. Fossa dude

@haz cat- It is MTZ. It would be cool if you had amphibians but if you don't know much you don't have to add them. You could also look up on the internet.

18. siamang27

siamang27 Well-Known Member

My assumption was that it had to be 1 for each area like:
    South America=mammal, North America=reptile, Africa=fish etc
    Just 1 representative from that continent...That's what I thought as I can't imagine keeping insects in the same exhibit as reptiles, amphibians, birds and mammals successfully.

19. Fossa dude

@ fkalltheway- They do all need to be together but you can make barriers inside the exhibit for each one (an exhibit in an exhibit). Assume the animals will not harm each other.

@siamang27
    They do all need to be together but you can make barriers inside the exhibit for each one. You can be creative in assuming that they will not harm each other.

There is no limit to the size of each exhibit.

I hope this helps. If not, please send your questions.

20. fkalltheway

fkalltheway Well-Known Member 15+ year member

@Fossa Dude: So do all of the exhibits have to have each of the animal types? I have all of the groups represented but might have to go back and change some stuff if that is the case. And for Antarctic you never let me know if it's ok to include more than 1 species of a particular group since you said we could "put whatever we wanted" into it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.