Join our zoo community

Exhibits Zoos Are Lacking In

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by CMP, 21 Dec 2020.

1. CMP

CMP Well-Known Member

I have noticed that, at least in North America, there is a lack of some types of exhibits. For example, there are barely any exhibits focused on Asia other than China and Southeast Asia, with practically none for the Middle East or South Asia. Within aquaria, there are barely any seagrass exhibits, with the exception of some small seahorse tanks. Why are some of these areas lacking? Could there be improvements in these areas in the future? What other regions or types of exhibits are lacking in zoos in your region?

2. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

European exhibits, of course, are fundamentally lacking in almost all zoos, even those over here (though you do of course get smaller zoos with just native fauna).

However, as ever, there is a reason for this. European species (or subspecies) are much harder to come across in the US for good reason - they are generally smaller or less colourful versions or their American counterparts (apart from a few unique species: Wallcreeper, kingfisher etc.). Therefore the cost of bringing them across the Atlantic for no apparent reason other than to display European fauna seems understandably ridiculous.

However, I would say that it would be nice if more American and European zoos displayed native passerines. There are hundreds of intriguing and beautiful native bird species, especially your side of the pond, that are never seen in zoos and it is a shame.

3. Westcoastperson

Westcoastperson Well-Known Member

Mainly the reason is lack of interest in the species or area or lack of species, extant or in captivity. There is no reason for zoos to invest in these areas when they aren't as popular or intricate as other areas whether it is Indonesia over the middle east or coral reefs over seagrass exhibits. Both of those areas lack color and popular species.

CMP likes this.
  4. Westcoastperson

I do wish there were more European species in America. The best we have is Eurasia Wilds at Toronto which is a good representation on how to show off European species and make them popular.

dinosauria likes this.
  5. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

There are enough European species around in North American to make a pleasant (if small) European complex, there just isn't interest.

6. GiratinaIsGod

GiratinaIsGod Well-Known Member

Why would a zoo want to keept species that are both commen and native ? I realy enjoy theatgened native european species, But most passerines realy have no reason to be kept in captivity here.

7. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Asian exhibit complexes are generally pan-Asian, rather than focused on a specific country. For example, sloth bears (an Indian/Sri Lankan species) are commonly kept in Asian complexes, as are Indian rhinos. Lion-tailed macaques used to be as well. Tigers and leopards are found across India, even though we don't hold their subspecies specifically. Asian elephants are (I believe?) more populous in India than anywhere else. We also have several bird and herp species that are native to South Asia, and many desert herps from the Middle East as well as hedgehogs, hyraxes, baboons, vultures, and hoofstock. Large desert complexes in general are just not common in North American zoos, and the few large ones we have are mainly focused on our native deserts.

As for European species, my thinking is more in line with @amur leopard; there is a lot of similarity between European and American species and focus of our zoos is always going to be on the latter. Canada lynx instead of European lynx, American bison instead of wisent, grizzly bear instead of European brown bear, North American river otter instead of European otter, etc. We do have a few European species though, as @birdsandbats mentioned: European eagle-owl and cinereous vulture comes to mind, as does scheltopusik.

Keeping and breeding of native passerines might have some complications because of the Migratory Bird Treaty Act. However, it is my experience that some North American zoos do keep native passerines, many or most of which are probably rehab animals (as many/most of our native species tend to be). As @GiratinaIsGod just pointed out, though, a lot of our passerines are common and may not be interesting to the average American - as incensed as Europeans might be at our Blue Jays, Northern Cardinals, and American Robins :p Living Desert keeps some native passerines, yet I was far more interested in the local species I saw roaming wild there!

8. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

AZA is establishing a SAFE program for North American songbirds, quite a few facilities involved to my understanding. There's also more breeding going on than may be generally obvious.

9. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I think exhibits of native animals are important in zoos to help the visitors understand what species live around them.

Onychorhynchus coronatus and CMP like this.
  10. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Middle Eastern exhibits are rare. Which is surprising, as there are many endangered species, and species from Africa, Asia and Europe lived together there: lions, tigers and brown bears together, for example. And there is lots of possible cultural and historic theming. And rocky landscapes of the Middle East are pretty amazing.

Also, African exhibit is always either savanna or Congo rainforest, but Eastern Arc mountains are never exhibited, although they are very rich in biodiversity and hold many zoo species - like eastern bongo.

Dry forest or thorn bush and never exhibited, although it is an endangered ecosystem. And much of African game reserves are dry forests, not open savannah.

It is also hard to find an outdoor marsh or wetland exhibit, not a waterfowl pond but a shallow swamp. And many of the worlds most famous reserves are marshes.

Last edited: 21 Dec 2020
    Onychorhynchus coronatus and CMP like this.
  11. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

I think that while Middle Eastern themed exhibits or thematic areas of zoos are rare there are quite a number of mammal species commonly kept in zoos that are from that region.

Ones that come to mind are the Syrian brown bear, fennec fox, Hamadryas baboon, aoudad, hyrax and several oryx species etc.

Last edited: 26 Dec 2020
    CMP likes this.
  12. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

Honestly, I think the exhibits that are often notably lacking at zoos often tend to be ones with a strong conservation focus or a genuinely meaningful conservation education output.

Maybe it is just exceedingly hard to provide meaningful education for the average member of the public visiting a zoo ?

I see a lot of zoos that make their exhibits into Indiana Jones type set ups with fake archeological ruins (very tacky approach IMO) but they either get this spectacularly wrong or don't give any further context to this through providing signage and information about what these animals meant and symbolized to such ancient civilizations.

I think that much much more could be done in terms of exhibiting and showcasing smaller and taxa of conservation concern such as small mammals, small birds, reptiles, amphibians, fish and inverts from many different biogeographic regions (I would rather zoos shifted to this focus rather than the megafauna craze).

I think that emphasizing endemic and endangered native species and their conservation is always a wise management / curatorial choice and I believe that most zoos don't do nearly enough in that regard and often greatly underperform.

Last edited: 26 Dec 2020
    CMP and dinosauria like this.
  13. Westcoastperson

I am noticing a trend as a list of places and look through posts here, zoos criminally under exhibit places that are more barren. By this I mean places like Patagonia, The Middle East, Asian Steppe, Asian Savannah, Antarctica (not just penguins), and the Sahara Desert. These places all have species represented in zoos and have very cool aspects to them. They could be great for educational purposes in places that aren't very well known especially places of conflict like the Middle East. We can teach people these places exist and that wildlife isn't only on African Savvanahs or Asian Jungles. Africa isn't only savannah and Asia isn't only Jungle and can we please get more exhibits about Antarctica, not just penguins. We can obviously have these exhibits because zoos have done them before and we have the species.

Mathijs and CMP like this.
  14. Great Argus

It can be, yes. And I say that from experience. Maybe 20-25% of the people at an exhibit read available signage. I would dare say less than 5% actually read the whole thing. Many times I've listened to an "expert" guest rattle off multiple incorrect facts to their companions while literally standing right next to an educational sign.

Megafauna draws people and pays the bills for many zoos. Most often Joe and Jane Public go to the zoo for the tigers, elephants, giraffes, bears, seals, and other large, "dangerous", well-loved species. Now there are plenty of exceptions to this; fish-oriented aquariums, bird parks, reptariums, and small local facilities. But as a whole megafauna carries the wow factor than finches and beetles do not. Given how many of the commonly kept megafauna species are endangered, they are just as deserving. Several megafauna owe their existence to zoos, and this should not be overlooked.
    I am not saying zoos cannot/should not focus on small species; rather that by coming to see the megafauna, the public can be introduced to smaller and lesser known species as well. Animal ambassadors are often key in this regard, especially for reptiles since many people fear them.

I think many do, though it may not be obvious much if the time. Species such as Grizzly Bears, river otters, Bald Eagles, and alligators are commonplace here in North America, and the public loves getting to see them up close. They often know the species lives near them but many have never seen a wild one. Exhibiting these species helps garner awareness and interest. Otters are everywhere, but kids adore their antics and love interacting with them.
    There are quite a few native endangered species being worked with and promoted in North American zoos, including California Condor, Sonoran Pronghorn, Red Wolf, and Whooping Crane. Numerous species are raised by local zoos for release, including frogs, salamanders, and even fish. SDZ Global always announces the first Condor egg and first hatch of the year, supplemented by the live cam watching Condor chicks grow up. I know of multiple smaller programs going on that participating zoos sporadically announce news on. Awareness could be better for some of these smaller programs, but they are at least occurring and being promoted occasionally.

CMP and Onychorhynchus coronatus like this.
  15. Great Argus

Many of the places you listed have only a handful of representatives in most zoos. This contributes to their not becoming a full-fledged exhibit complex. In North American zoos we have next to none in terms of Middle Eastern species. We have Dromedary, an limited assortment of birds and reptiles (Veiled Chameleon for one), maybe a couple gazelles. We don't have Marbled Polecats, Persian Leopards, coursers, or many other species common throughout the region.

Antarctica? What would you exhibit besides penguins? Weddell, Ross, Crabeater, and Leopard Seals aren't available. Petrels don't fare well. Icefish aren't kept. Orcas aren't feasible for most places (and are stuck where they are anyway), and baleen whales are a no go. Even Emperor Penguin is only at one place in North America, with breeding becoming ever unlikely as the birds age.

Mathijs likes this.
  16. BerdNerd

BerdNerd Well-Known Member

I’ve noticed that no zoo or aquarium I have ever visited or heard of has had a good Galapagos exhibit. It seems that besides the giant tortoises, and species that are found also outside the archipelago, Galapagos fauna is poorly represented in captivity. I read somewhere that it’s because the Ecuadorian government is very strict about exporting native species. But still, it would be pretty cool to see a marine iguana or a flightless cormorant or Darwin’s finches without spending thousands of dollars to fly to some remote island.

Mathijs and Dassie rat like this.
  17. German Zoo World

German Zoo World Well-Known Member

Here in Europe there are Not Manny North American Exhibits. There are North American Species in european Zoos but Not so Manny North American Exhibits. The Most North American Animal Species in european Zoos have some Enclosures that are random placed in the Zoos. Animal Species that live in such random Enclosures include

American Bison
    Wolverine
    Bald eagle
    Black Tailed Prarie Dog
    American Alligator
    North American racoon

Animals i woould Love to See in North American Exhibits are all mentioned Species and the following

Giant desert centipede
    Alligator gar
    Bowfin
    Channel catfish
    Mississippi Paddelfish
    Hellbender
    Amphibuma
    American bullfrog
    Alligator snapping turtle
    Several Species of rattlesnake
    American crocodile
    Snail kite
    Brown pelican
    Californian helmeted quail
    Greater roadrunner
    Turkey vulture
    Black vulture
    Californian condor
    Red Tailed hawk
    Common ringtail
    White Tailed deer
    Rocky Mountain goat
    Bighorn sheep
    Pronghorn antelope
    Wapiti
    Collared peccari
    Coyote
    American black bear
    Kodiak bear
    Mountain lion

The only North American Exhibits i know about Here in Europe are these two.

Burgers desert at Burgers Zoo Arnheim Netherlands

The Last frontier at Pairi Daiza Bruglette Belgium

BenFoxster and Mathijs like this.
  18. TZDugong

TZDugong Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yeah, you’re absolutely correct regarding import laws, they’re very strict and the reason why it’s unlikely that there will ever be a Galapagos zoo exhibit.

If I recall correctly, the only reason the Tortoises are in zoos is that they were established before these strict import laws were in effect. Other Galapagos animals that are around in zoos or the private trade - Marine Iguana for instance - were exported illegally.

Mathijs likes this.
  19. RatioTile

RatioTile Well-Known Member

Several species of notothenoid icefish are kept in Tokyo Sea Life Park and Port of Nagoya Aquarium.

Great Argus likes this.
  20. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Sheathbills and Skuas can be kept with a bit of effort

Dassie rat likes this.