Join our zoo community

Exmoor Zoo Exmoor Zoo 2019

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by sidcup, 1 Jan 2019.

1. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Oh, maybe they do then!

2. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I enjoyed a visit in beautiful weather yesterday.
    I really liked the new parrot range, with a fine collection of species: pairs of Cuban amazon, blue-throated and grey-breasted conures, red-crowned amazon, greater Patagonian conure, Bodin's amazon and blue-throated macaw, plus mother and daughter thick-billed parrots. There are also a pair of Buffon's macaw and a mixed group of amazons on the other side of the zoo.
    As I didn't visit last year, I was pleased to see the Chacoan mara in the Marmoset House, but I was frustrated that I couldn't get a photo.
    There have been some nice arrivals. A young pair of bush dogs are settling into the old otter enclosure, which should suit them well; their keeper told me that one came from Chester and the other from Mulhouse, but she couldn't remember which one came from which zoo. I wasn't surprised that I didn't see the margays until they looked out of their nestboxes at feeding time, just before the zoo closed. The young male came from Jihlava to pair with an older female from Shaldon. But of course the animals I really wanted to see were the two fanaloka. They were curled up asleep until it was their turn for supper, just after the margays. Fortunately I had time to get a few decent photos (and a lot of poor ones). They are nice creatures and I hope that they will become a little more active as they settle into their new home.

3. ISOE2012

ISOE2012 Well-Known Member

Great news about Malagasy Civet now in the collection.

Exmoor Zoo

4. migdog

migdog Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The Exmoor newsletter states they have a pair of cacomistle!

Mo Hassan likes this.
  5. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I wouldn't get too excited, if I were you :p as there is a difference between cacomistle and ringtail!

Last edited: 14 Apr 2019
  6. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I'd think either would be worth getting excited about?

Mo Hassan, Brum and TNT like this.
  7. migdog

Pretty exciting addition to a UK zoo I would have thought. Only visitors of Burgers Zoo would have seen this amazing animal in Europe (carefully disguised as a ringtail).

8. TeaLovingDave

Oh, most certainly :D just thought it worth making sure no one jumped to any conclusions! It's still pretty exciting in-and-of itself.

9. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

I'm confused - are they cacomistle or ringtails??

10. migdog

Exmoor have cacomistle. Burgers zoo have ringtails. They look very similar though.

Zia likes this.
  11. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

Ah I see - thank you. I'd be excited to see either :)

12. TeaLovingDave

They both have Ringtails :p which is why I posted the above - Cacomistle would be a new arrival for Europe and hence even more exciting than Ringtail.

arctocephalus and giant_anteater like this.
  13. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Exmoor have released news on their website about their new ringtails - they arrived in autumn 2018 from a zoo in Texas, where they were rescued as orphans from the wild.

Quite a lot of inaccuracies in the article however - it says that they are the first ringtails ever held outside their native range, even though there is one other current holder in Europe (at Burgers Zoo) and as many as twenty former holders in Europe (as per Zootierliste).

The article is included below:
    Exmoor Zoo

14. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

I purchased a pair from Ravensden in the mid 1980s - a couple of years after Flamingo Gardens, Weston Underwood closed (if that helps with a timescale) - as we kept them in accommodation converted from buildings I bought from Christopher Marler. We had them privately for several years. They were two of four animals Ravensden imported. Ravensden called them Cacomistles, presumably to differentiate them from Ring-tail Lemurs - but the were definitely NA Ringtails.

Brum, TNT and FBBird like this.
  15. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

Edit - I have checked the few records which remain from the time and am annoyed that none can be found of where they went. The pair were housed together at the dealers. The first two had been sold and collected before we were offered these, so I can't shed any light on who had them. Our female only had half a tail, so was very distinctive - they were perfectly compatible, totally nocturnal and were only ever seen in their outdoor aviary by torch-light in complete darkness. They never bred, and definitely did not die here. My guess would be that they went back to Ravensden in exchange for something more visible (!) sometime around or before the opening of Hamerton. They were lovely, but in a public collection would require the right accommodation...

Brum, TeaLovingDave and Mo Hassan like this.
  16. dublinlion

dublinlion Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I remember Dublin zoo had a single Cacomistle? on display for a short while in the eighties. It was held in the old lion house (Roberts house) and when I saw it, it was always curled up on a perch motionless. I'm sure it was terrified hearing the Leopards and other Cats roaring nearby, plus the overpowering cat smell.

17. Zoovolunteer

Zoovolunteer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I was there today and got a brief glimpse of one of the ringtails. Unfortunately my photo was spoiled by the reflection. The Fanaloka were visible but sleeping in their boxes, as was the Margay, but I managed to see the Rusty-Spotted Cat. Heres hoping for a good breeding season for the new parrot centre as well - Exmoor is one of the top UK zoos for small mammals and uncommonly seen birds.

TNT likes this.
  18. Zoovolunteer

Forgot to mention - they also now have Dusky Pademelon.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  19. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Are they still in the small enclosure near the lemurs?

20. Zoovolunteer

yes - just 1 pair at present

TNT likes this.