Join our zoo community

Exotic Amphibians and Reptiles in Australian Zoos

Discussion in 'Australia' started by zooboy28, 15 Dec 2013.

1. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

I decided to check on some of the remnant reptiles and their current status in Australia as they rarely receive a mention outside of this thread. I have added segments of the relevant emails I received from each respective zoo. A few losses unfortunately. I am waiting on a few emails so there could be a few more losses as well.

The bad news…

*the last Bavay’s Giant Gecko died a few years ago: “Unfortunately we have not had this species for a few years now! I have just spoken with one of our reptile keepers here at the park who was able to confirm that this was the case (they died out).”

*the Madagascar Tree Boa is no longer at Perth either: “I’ve reached out to one of our Reptile Keepers and can let you know that the Madagascar Tree Boa is no longer here.” This species is also no longer on the zoo’s interactive map on their website when it used to be on-display along their savannah trail.

*one of the species I was really hoping was still around but unfortunately isn’t was the Mata mata at Taronga: “Taronga no longer holds Mata-Mata’s.” This species was on-display at the zoo as recently as 2019 but by my visit of December of that same year it wasn’t. It must have passed/been placed off-display for the remainder of its days around this period of time.

The good news…

*The box turtles are hanging on. Perth Zoo still have their Three-toed Box Turtle but the last individual is off-display currently: “the Three-toed Box Turtle is, it’s just off display; so keep your eyes out for its return.” Taronga Zoo also still have their Ornate Box Turtle: “we do still care for Ornate Box Turtles within our animal population.”

*Ballarat Wildlife Park also still have their main remnant reptiles – Common Snapping Turtle, Mozambique Spitting Cobra and Uracoan Rattlesnake were all still accounted for as of a few days ago: “they are all at the park.” The last mention of the Yellow-footed Tortoise I can find was that it was living with the Star Tortoises as of November 2020 according to a Fb post by a photographer. It’s relatively safe to assume it’s still around. Just realised I forgot to check on the Siamese Cobras.

2. WhistlingKite24

Central Coast Zoo have announced their first exotic species - a Boa Constrictor: Central Coast Zoo

steveroberts and Zorro like this.
  3. ParusMajor

ParusMajor Member

I actually visited Ballarat Wildlife Park today and can confirm the Yellow Footed Tortoise, Monocled Cobra, Burmese Python, Siamese Cobra, Uracoan Rattlesnake, Star Tortoise, Rhino Iguana, Komodo Dragon, American Alligator, Dyeing Poison Frog, Red Tailed Boa, Reituclated Python, Aldabra Giant Tortoise, Burmese Brown Tortoise and Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake are all there and on display.

I have doubts about the snapping turtles as there were pig nosed turtles in three seperate enclosures within the reptile house.

Last edited: 12 Apr 2021
  4. WhistlingKite24

5. steveroberts

steveroberts Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Thanks so much for all the info WhistlingKite24

Chlidonias and WhistlingKite24 like this.
  6. WhistlingKite24

It's been relatively quiet on the Australasian forums as of late so I decided to see if I could further confirm a few reptile holdings that I didn't get around to checking for the earlier post.

*Australia Zoo no longer has Veiled Chameleon. The last one died a few months ago from gout-related issues around the age of four: “we no longer have Chameleons.” His enclosure now houses a Red-bellied Black Snake.

*A new reptile species can actually be added rather than removed from the list. It was discussed briefly in this thread already but I managed to confirmed with Malcolm Douglas Crocodile Park that they still have Brown [Spectacled] Caiman. They messaged me with a three-word answer, "yes we do!" and this can be corroborated with Najade's species list from 2018 which also lists caiman. I didn't get a chance to check on Niles unfortunately: Malcolm Douglas Wilderness Wildlife Park species list [Malcolm Douglas Wilderness Wildlife Park]

Last edited: 21 Jun 2021
    Chlidonias, animal_expert01 and Zorro like this.
  7. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I would of thought a Croc park would of been able to breed the Brown Caiman!

8. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

That's interesting! I had seen Najade's species list of course, but obviously glossed over the caiman on there! I've just taken off the Nile Crocodiles (moving them to the "removed" list at the bottom) because it seems likely they are no longer there.

9. WhistlingKite24

More reptile updates received today - all positive news with no losses.

*Hartley's Crocodile Adventures have Rhinoceros Iguana: "we certainly do. And very handsome ones."

*Melbourne Zoo still have their Horsfield's Tortoise, Spiny Terrapin, Painted Wood Turtle, Mississippi Map Turtle, Rainbow Boa and Kenyan Sand Boa. For any Melbourne Zoo regulars, the terrapin and rainbow boa are currently on-display which would be nice to see: "yes, these turtle and tortoise species are still in the Reptile House. Currently only the Spiny Terrapin is on display. I've just heard back from the Reptile House and one Rainbow Boa is on display at Melbourne Zoo but not the Kenyan Sand Boa."

*Adelaide Zoo still have their Aruba Island Rattlesnake and Amazon Tree Boa: "we have an Amazon Tree Boa and Aruba Island Rattlesnake in the Reptile House at Adelaide Zoo."

animal_expert01, Chlidonias and Zorro like this.
  10. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Thanks - I have added in Hartley's for the Rhinoceros Iguana.

WhistlingKite24 likes this.
  11. WhistlingKite24

I have some sad news. The last Splash-backed Poison Frogs have died at Australia Zoo. The region's last individuals were two females who were around the age of 20. Fortunately, the Blues and Dyeings are breeding well at the zoo. The zoo's response via email:

"Unfortunately the last 2 females we had passed away at the ages of 20. They were the last 2 of this species in the country. There are now only the tinctorius and tinctorius azureus. Australia Zoo has taken on the breeding program for this species to ensure its survivorship within the region."

Patrick Keegan and Chlidonias like this.
  12. WhistlingKite24

I can now confirm the whereabouts of all of the Komodo Dragons that were imported from Prague. Australia Zoo houses the remaining 1.1 dragons that were previously unknown meaning they have between 4 to 5 dragons at any one time as they do rotate males with the one at Snakes Downunder. Consequently this means Ballarat and Australia Zoo are the facilities with dragons stemming from both European and North American animals. The Australian Reptile Park's pair did also recently mate successfully. The total population of Komodos is about 14 (9.5) individuals

Los Angeles Import in 2012 of seven (4.3) dragons:
    1.0 Kuasa (Kozzie) at Hartley's Crocodile Adventures
    1.0 Naga at Taronga Zoo
    1.0 Raja at Perth Zoo
    1.0 Kraken at Australian Reptile Park
    0.1 Daenerys at Australian Reptile Park
    0.1 Lavaclaw at Ballarat Wildlife Park
    0.1 Indah at Australia Zoo

Prague Import in 2020 of seven (5.2) dragons:
    1.0 Balu at Darling Downs Zoo
    1.0 Toothless at Ballarat Wildlife Park
    1.0 Gili at Snakes Downunder Reptile Park and Zoo
    1.0 Naga at Australia Zoo
    1.0 Ragnar at Australia Zoo
    0.1 Cecilia at Adelaide Zoo
    0.1 Lagertha at Australia Zoo

Last edited: 28 Oct 2021
  13. steveroberts

steveroberts Well-Known Member 5+ year member

@WhistlingKite24 Oh cool nice research work, heaps good to know now exactly where all the Komodos are living from those two big imports. Perth Zoo from what I understand were fairly confident they would get at least one Dragon around 1995/1996 but when Wyndham Croc Zoo imported they gave them a 'bum-steer' and PZ had to wait 17/18 years for Raja to arrive in 2013, although I'm sure all the keepers at Perth would say well worth it as he is clearly an awesome fella and his keepers love him and look after him great from everything I've seen and read online (haven't seen him in person yet).

14. WhistlingKite24

I recently came across a video about a tour of Melbourne Zoo from this month. At 22:00 it reveals that Scheltopusik are now on-show being a new species for the zoo. The Kenyan Sand Boa are also on-display nearby as well.

15. WhistlingKite24

Blue Poison Dart Frogs are also at Ballarat Wildlife Park: Log into Facebook | Facebook

16. WhistlingKite24

A few updates for the exotic reptiles besides the Dumeril's Boas now at DDZ that has already been added now. I am sad to say there are two complete species losses for the list:

*The region's last Solomon Islands Boa died last year at Taronga after living to a great age.

*The National Zoo and Aquarium no longer have Blood Python nor Fijian Crested Iguana.

*Fijian Banded Iguanas are gone from the region as well with the Australian Reptile Park and Taronga Zoo no longer having them confirmed via email. The last one at Taronga died last year being an old individual. It was still on-show by December 2019 [Fijian Banded Iguana (Brachylophus fasciatus) - ZooChat].

Jambo, Patrick Keegan and Chlidonias like this.
  17. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Pretty poor that Australian zoos have let two species from the Australasian region, Solomon Island Boa and Fijian Banded Iguanas disappear from an already depleted exotic herp collection.

18. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Not really any surprise here in resent year’s

steveroberts and Patrick Keegan like this.
  19. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I do believe that the current legislation is not helping to conserve threatened exotic reptiles. And captive-breeding initiatives to benefit these virtually impossible sustainably.

Is there not a smarter methodology tor reptile managemen that would saves native wildlife too and not having a negative impact.

Last edited: 18 Feb 2022
    steveroberts and Patrick Keegan like this.
  20. WhistlingKite24

Shoalhaven Zoo now have an albino Reticulated Python on-display in their reptile house: Log into Facebook | Facebook