Join our zoo community

Exotic Amphibians And Reptiles In New Zealand

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Chlidonias, 12 Mar 2011.

1. Kawekaweau

Kawekaweau Well-Known Member

Parts of me wish those brown snakes were successful.

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

yes, just what NZ needs. Another predatory invasive species, and a highly venomous one just for good measure. Brilliant.

3. animal_expert01

animal_expert01 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Are these Pseudonaja textilis? How did they get to NZ, and wouldn't they die in the cold winter?

Last edited: 22 Apr 2017
  4. Chlidonias

yes, no idea, and apparently they were doing fine in the Wellington weather. I don't know the details though.

5. Chlidonias

6. Kawekaweau

I went to the Dunedin Butterfly House at the Otago Museum on Friday and they no longer have Madagascar giant day geckos. Asked an employee about it and she doesn't know exactly where they went, probably to another facility. Sad, I remember seeing one years ago.

7. Chlidonias

thanks, I've edited the list. They have had a few individuals. The last time I was there (several years ago) they had one larger individual at liberty and one baby in a tank where the tarantulas are. Prior to that I have seen at least two adults at once at liberty.

Did they still have the scorpions?

8. Kawekaweau

Didn't have the scorpions either sadly, strange because I thought they'd be popular with visitors and thus worth keeping.

9. Chlidonias

they were Rainforest Scorpions which don't come out in the open during the day, so they don't make good exhibits anyway.

10. Kawekaweau

There's apparently discussion within MPI circles that fire-belly newts may eventually be banned at some point in the future. There's nothing official yet and I'm hoping it doesn't happen (too common maybe) but might be informative to watch this space.

11. Chlidonias

yep, that's been talked about for ages. It's probably popped up on NZ reptile/fish forums recently though (presuming that's where you got it from) because that sort of thing gets recycled regularly.

Kawekaweau likes this.
  12. Kawekaweau

Yeah, got it from forums and Facebook. It's been talked about since 2014, and there will apparently be a pest pet register in the near future. Not sure how long these things take, if they ever do happen.

13. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

One would think it would be Boiga irregularis - the wide ranging spp that has caused all the problems when introduced to Guam.

14. Kawekaweau

I've been in the NZ private reptile community for a while now, and I now think that all of the Asian box turtles, leaf turtles and spiny turtles are very rare nowadays, probably not breeding anymore (only one guy has bred leaf turtles recently). When was the last time you saw any for sale, if I may ask?

15. Chlidonias

I haven't seen a leaf turtle in a long time but for the other two I've seen them in the last few years. I haven't seen any for sale for ages - but they were never the sort of turtle you'd see for common sale. You'd mostly need to know who was breeding them. Only a handful of chelonian species were ever advertised freely.

Kawekaweau likes this.
  16. Kawekaweau

I see. I guess it might be something you'd need to prove your turtle keeping skills first to be allowed to keep them.

17. Kawekaweau

One last thing (sorry if this is a double post) is that shingleback skinks are technically a zoo license species (according to the zoo animal list on the old EPA site, which has appears to have been lost with a "mobile-friendly" update of the site), meaning they are illegal to keep privately (Cunningham's skinks, however, are not).

It might also be worth mentioning that rainbow skinks are illegal to hold in captivity as they are an Unwanted Organism.

18. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Brooklands Zoo have acquired two Leopard tortoise Leopard Stigmochelys pardalis.

The two females, Kobe and Kamba, were born at Auckland Zoo and came to Brooklands Zoo via Ti Point Reptile Park.

Brooklands Zoo has new tortoises, Kamba and Kobe

Chlidonias likes this.
  19. Cassidy Casuar

Cassidy Casuar Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

I'm not sure how notable this is, but Marineland apparently once had a monitor of some sort, too?
    Picture is from a guide book from the 1960s.
    monigon 2.jpg

Chlidonias likes this.
  20. Chlidonias

Wow, that's neat. I had never heard of that one before. A search on Google only gives me only one result that I can find, on the following link (you need to go to the button for page 17): Hawke’s Bay Photo News January 1963

• Keeping a watchful eye on the photographer this four-foot long Monitor lizard was captured in Pakowhai Road, Hastings, recently. According to authorities on wild life, the specimen is that of the Australian Monitor and could possibly have arrived in the country in a shipment of wood. The lizard, weighing about 8 pounds, has a skin with merging shades of grey, green and brown.

[​IMG]

Cassidy Casuar likes this.