Join our zoo community

Exotic Animal laws for Victorian Zoos

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Astrobird, 7 Oct 2014.

1. Astrobird

Astrobird Well-Known Member

This is an enquiry for further information following my recent visit to Mansfield Zoo. Whilst there, in the feeding talks, the owners mentioned several times, new laws that have come into place since the start of the year regarding exotic animals in Victoria.
    A few points they mentioned were the DPI have put a ban on the breeding of all exotic animals, they mentioned lions, elephants, zebras etc. There is supposedly a 'sunset clause' meaning no breeding replacement animals.
    All exotics brought into the state must be neutered (as is the case with their capuchins, lions and bison)
    There is a apparently list of exotic animals banned from entering the state, of which the Rhesus macque is one example. They said their 2 new Rhesus monkeys were the last of their species to be allowed into the state, and they had to act quickly to actually get them before the ban came into place.
    Does anyone know more about these changes to laws? Obviously these laws would have serious and long reaching implications to Victorian Zoos in the future. I would love to be told I'm wrong here.....

2. nanoboy

nanoboy Well-Known Member

Wow. So much for conservation programs for exotic species.

3. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Moderator Staff Member

This is a minor point, but to those of us outside Australia the term "Victorian Zoos" conjures up zoos in England in the 1800's. At least that is what came to my mind when I saw the title.

4. Monty

Monty Well-Known Member

Altina has also been having trouble with NSW authorities.

They want to limit animals numbers and when they are allowed to breed and how many can be bred.

It is ridiculous and authorities must believe that bison or blackbuck will escape and breed in uncontrollable numbers.

5. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

That is exactly what I thought. I was expecting a thread talking about laws reguarding english zoos in the victorian era. :D

6. jay

jay Well-Known Member

I haven't heard anything regarding mammels but I was aware that the State of Victoria were looking at laws regarding exotic birds that could be kept by private individuals. I received the impression that it was going to be bad news for anyone wanting to keep finches or parrots.

7. Ara

Ara Well-Known Member

Under the guise of "protecting the environment" this is MORE government restriction in a supposedly free country. Animal Liberationists will be thrilled by all this.

When it comes to animal keeping, Australia is THE most restrictive country on the planet.

This is the thin end of the wedge. If they get away with this, next target will be your granny's pet canary and your little brother's goldfish.....

8. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member

that is the impression of bird-keepers only, not the actual truth (see my post about it in the Exotic Birds thread).

I would be interested in if anyone knows the truth (not hearsay) about the situation of this thread, regarding zoo animals, because it seems very unlikely and more like people getting hold of the wrong end of the stick.

9. Astrobird

Astrobird Well-Known Member

How do you go about finding out what the current laws are? Is there a section on the DPI's web site we could access?