Join our zoo community

Exotic animals on the loose in Ohio

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Mr T, 19 Oct 2011.

1. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

AZDocent: I think that there is truth in what you say in that there are people out there legitimately breeding cats for captive conservation purposes. You have made me aware that there are at least two legitimate cat facilities in California (Cat Haven and the Exotic Cat Breeding Center) that I previously thought were bad roadside zoo establishments or worse (like the compound in Ohio).

However there ARE people with big cats out there that SHOULD NOT have them. A few years ago a tiger got lose in Thousand Oaks (town north of LA) and was prowling through the neighborhood (http://www.toacorn.com/news/2005-03-03/Front_page/003.html). There was also the case of the people running the tiger "sanctuary" that had horrible, unsafe conditions for the tigers and for the people living around it and freezers full of dead tiger cubs: http://www.nytimes.com/2004/06/11/us/last-39-tigers-are-moved-from-unsafe-rescue-center.html

My point is that there is some truth that there are unregulated big carnivores out there and that idiots having dangerous animals is a REAL problem, albeit as you point out perhaps much more limited than media hype and extreme animal rights groups like PETA claim.

Last edited: 20 Oct 2011
  2. KCZooFan

KCZooFan Well-Known Member

Or large dogs like pitbulls and rottweilers, as well as others. That could also cause the number to grow.

3. Meaghan Edwards

Meaghan Edwards Well-Known Member

I'm also not against private ownership of exotics as a whole. Some exotic animal bans go as far as banning people from owning hedgehogs and corn snakes, which is ridiculous. People like this, though?

Ontario breeder selling lion and tiger cubs as house pets | News | National Post

*just shakes her head* I also saw an ad in a Toronto paper for a Japanese Macaque being sold for a price cheaper than some purebred dogs, "complete with cage."

4. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Dangerous exotics, but yes, there would probably be tens of thousands of dangerous dogs there as well, I'm sure.

5. KCZooFan

KCZooFan Well-Known Member

True, but animal rights extremists will do what ever they can to raise that number.

6. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

7. groundskeeper24

groundskeeper24 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I, like many Zoochatters have mixed feelings on this subject. It's not very realistic to think that a police dept in a relatively small town, or even a big city for that matter, would have the means to deal with this sort of situation in a way that's going to make everyone feel good about it. I have no doubt, stereotypical or not, that some of those police probably had the time of their lives with cart blanche to go mowing down a few dozen big-game animals. I'm sure it was a real Clint Eastwood moment for them. I hope I'm wrong about that, but I doubt it.

As for the exotics laws, there have been attempts to intensify them over the last few years. They've been trying to regulate venomous snakes and, big constrictors for years, perhaps for good reason. I have an odd perspective, as I keep a few reptiles in my home. No venomous or big constrictors, but exotics nonetheless. I spend hours a day maintaining them, not to mention finances. I truly care for them and take my reputation as a keeper personally, perhaps to an extreme extent if you ask my wife. Unfortunately, and it really pains me to say this, many of the folks I see at reptile shows and events do not share these sentiments. Many reptiles and exotics ARE impulse buys. They don't value the animal's well being in the same manner as they would a dog or cat. Many DO NOT think about the long term responsiblities and expenses of owning these kinds of animals. I've generally opposed a lot of exotics regulations due to the fact that the organizations and people behind them often paint exaggerated pictures of people like me. Accusations of mental illness seem to be all the rage with these people. At this point, however, if a common sense regualtory campaign were to come about, ie one that targets truly dangerous species and IMO the most important factor, SUBSTANDARD HUSBANDRY SKILLS, I'd be inclined to support it. I'm not talking about some nutball law banning leopard geckos and ball pythons, more like a licensing system that would do more to ensure that people buying exotics would have some kind of clue.

Tragic situation, even more tragic conclusion, but it would have been far worse if one of the fugitive animals would have actually mauled or killed someone.

8. tschandler71

tschandler71 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

That is a big reason you live in Australia not the United States. I love how certain people in here think that the Feds have any constitutional authority to regulate private ownership of anything, (including "dangerous stuff") .

And I like the term you used calling using extreme libertarians or whatever, better than slaves of the state.

Bad stuff happens, getting rid of freedoms because tragedies makes the tragedy even worse.

9. tschandler71

Exactly stricter licensing at the state level is the exact course of action in our federal system. It ensures responsible owners like you or potentially Docent keep your freedom, while keeping all of the nuttiest of the wackjobs off your backs.

10. Reedstilt

Reedstilt Active Member

To be fair, the relevant "interest group" for the claim of 5,000 tigers in the US is the World Wildlife Fund, not the extremists like PETA.

11. Rookeyper

Rookeyper Well-Known Member

I'll add my thoughts to this discussion. What happened was a tragedy on multiple levels. The owner seems to have intended for there to be harm. He let the animals out, damaged their cages making it difficult if not impossible for them to be contained, and opened the gates to allow them to roam freely. The authorities had no choice but to take the action they did. Jack Hanna has been an animal advocate for decades, but he knew that this situation was extremely dangerous for all concerned. I've met him a few times and know him to be a decent human being. Seeing him standing behind the sheriff I saw a man who was grief-stricken as we all were. I mourn the lost animals but I applaud the rational minds that attempted to save human lives. All of the zoo professionals should be praised for their input and expertise. It will profoundly affect them all.

12. Screvier20

Screvier20 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

13. team tapir

team tapir Well-Known Member

Your thoughts on the police department no doubt crossed our minds as well.

Team Tapir

14. CGSwans

Well, I think it has rather more to do with where I was born.

The problem is, millions of Americans demand unlimited freedoms without accepting the accompanying responsibilities, such as protecting the safety and rights of others. And does being entitled to own a machine gun or Bengal tiger really represent the pinnacle of freedom to you? Because there are lots of countries with plenty of privately owned machine guns and no protection of freedoms or human rights.

It's ok. Different world-view; I respect that. But when, for instance, I see the NRA respond to the latest mass shooting by rallying in the town that it happened, compounding the locals' grief, two words always come to mind. One is 'narcissists' and the other is 'thugs'.

It is always good for people to know how their country's politics are perceived in the world.

15. team tapir

team tapir Well-Known Member

Tonight at Boo at the Zoo in Cleveland we had the privalege of discussing the incident in Zanesville with a keeper who has over 20 years experience working with large carnivores.As with alot of us mixed emotions were involved and despite obviously not being there feels that authorities probably took it too far.We also discussed at length how hard it is for zoos to get animals vs private individuals at exotic animal auctions.

Team Tapir

16. tschandler71

The mentality that we can just exchange freedoms for security is bogus, and eventually you end up with neither.

17. CGSwans

That's a great six-second grab for the television cameras. It's just never been supported by evidence. I suspect you will find the vast majority of citizens in Europe, Canada, Japan and Australasia - in other words, every developed democracy in the world except America - will disagree with you. But go ahead - tuck that gun under your pillow at night if it makes you feel better.

18. Monty

Monty Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I dont disagree. I lived in the US for 2 years and know much of what we hear in the Australian media is one sided propaganda.

In much of the US you are much safer than in Australia. Criminals are not so brave if they think there is a chance their intended victim may have a handgun handy. Thats why in Australia we have a higher rate of most crimes. For example we have 17 times the US rate of home invasions. The only areas with higher crime rates are inner city areas with low employment and high drug use. It is not the freedoms which cause crime.

Where I lived many people including me owned handguns and there was almost no crime.

19. Monty

Monty Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Exactly. Unfortunately with a bias media and poor reporting most people in Australia don't even see we are loosing more freedoms every day.

"Australia's political system is broken and dysfunctional, characterised by a pathetic decision-making process that is aimed at getting good press rather than good outcomes for the country."

The media runs Australia and that is why we have become the true nanny state. I think England may be worse though.

20. CGSwans

Sporting shooter, by any chance, Monty?

Mate, such outlandish statistics demand sourcing. I suspect I know where you got it from, but humour me.