Join our zoo community

Exotic Circus Animals - where have they gone

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Astrobird, 8 Jul 2013.

1. Astrobird

Astrobird Well-Known Member

I have often wondered what all the Australian circus's did with their Lions, Tigers, and other big cats, elephants and monkeys etc, when they decided to finish with "wild animal" acts.
    I know an elephant from Bullens has ended up at TWPZ, and the Australia Zoo eles were from a circus, but what happened to everything else?
    I remember Circus Royal used to have a Tiger and 3 leopards, incl a black one as well as monkeys,
    Circus Sonelli (spelling?) had at least 6 lions,
    Silvers Circus had lions (3 generations of girls all bred with the same male!) and Macaques (some of which went to the Alpaca Farm and zoo near Seymore (now closed)
    Perry Bros Circus used to have 3 trailers full of lions, and the last of their 4 or 5 elephants finally died only a year or so back (she was supposedly the last elephant left in an Australian circus) - did they actually put animals down, or did some go to zoos, or where they exported?
    Lions in particular, there would have been dozens in circus's once. I think there are only 2 Circus's still with Lions and Macaques touring Australia? Circus Stardust and Lennon Bros Circus....
    I'm not wanting to start another debated on whether they should or shouldnt have these animals, I'm just interested to know where they all went.

steveroberts likes this.
  2. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

I thought I should dig up this thread by saying that Australia currently only has two circuses with exotics: Stardust and Lennon Bros. An article by ABC earlier this month interested me as Lennon Bros circus set up in Lismore, a town which has banned circuses on council-owned land (the circus has found a way around this by being staged at Lismore Showground, which is privately owned): Lennon Bros sets up big top in Lismore, seven years after city bans animal circuses - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

3. MattyP

MattyP Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Considering Bullens claimed to have around 350 lions in the 80s, I wonder where they all went?

steveroberts and animal_expert01 like this.
  4. Astrobird

steveroberts likes this.
  5. Astrobird

steveroberts likes this.