Join our zoo community

Exotic Mammals in Australian Zoos

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Chlidonias, 11 Jul 2015.

1. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

As mentioned in the Tasmania Zoo news thread, Tasmania Zoo now has two caracal from South Africa (two sisters). :)
    Caracals at Tasmania Zoo, an Australian first

Jambo, Chlidonias and Goura like this.
  2. WhistlingKite24

Hunter Valley Zoo now has two Mara.
    Security Check

Jambo and Chlidonias like this.
  3. WhistlingKite24

Marking their 40th anniversary, Oakvale has received Meerkat (a sibling trio). Oakvale marks 40 years with meerkat exhibit launch

Jambo, Ashanti and Chlidonias like this.
  4. Ashanti

Ashanti Active Member 5+ year member

Never even heard of this place, how exciting. Does anyone know where these meerkats have come from?

5. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Probably Altina.

6. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Paradise Country Gold Coast added Common Marmosets this week!

7. WhistlingKite24

I contacted Paradise Country in regards to the marmosets recently, unfortunately they are only a temporary display.

8. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

They are there permanent!

9. WhistlingKite24

My mistake @Zorro. I just received another email from Paradise Country saying they are indeed a permanent exhibit.
    No idea why they initially told me they weren’t (presumably a typo).
    They’ll make a nice addition to the park.

Jambo and Zorro like this.
  10. WhistlingKite24

This Facebook post from Halls Gap Zoo mentions that their Cotton-top Tamarins live with conures and agoutis. I assume the agouti came from DDZ, however I cannot find any further information.
    Security Check

Chlidonias and Jambo like this.
  11. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Australia zoo now has 0.4 Sumatran Elephants, Christina, Megawati, Widya, and Raflesia.

Chlidonias and Cassidy Casuar like this.
  12. Yoshistar888

Yoshistar888 Well-Known Member

Does melbourne zoo still have binturong. I went about a month ago and there was a squirrel monkey including signage in the binturong exhibit plus the binturong was removed from the map.

13. WhistlingKite24

I just contacted Zoos Victoria. Their elderly male (Gangsa) was euthanised in July 2019 due to a number of age-related issues. As far as I know, he was their only binturong and therefore means the zoo doesn’t hold the species anymore.

Last edited: 10 Dec 2019
    Jambo likes this.
  14. kiwimuzz

kiwimuzz Well-Known Member

Melbourne zoo no longer has Binturong. The enclosure now holds a group of male squirrel monkeys, as seen on my last visit a few weeks ago.

Jambo likes this.
  15. toothlessjaws

toothlessjaws Well-Known Member

It appears there is no intention to maintain Binturong in Australia anymore.

What species other than Sumatran tigers are the zoos going to keep?

16. Iwerks

Iwerks Member

Are they removing the breeding pair of Binturong from Perth Zoo?

17. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Now that Sydney Zoo is open I have added in all these changes to the list. I also added in Blackbuck as they are on the zoo map. I haven't added Red Panda or Small-clawed Otter as I don't think they have them yet. White Rhino and Gorilla have also yet to be added to the zoo.

Jambo and WhistlingKite24 like this.
  18. WhistlingKite24

Sydney Zoo has Red Panda (a photo was posted by a visitor and shared on one of their Facebook posts).
    Security Check

Jambo and Chlidonias like this.
  19. WhistlingKite24

As we are reaching the end of 2019, over the past few weeks or so I have been emailing and messaging various zoos and wildlife parks for updates and further information on particular exotic mammals. This post combines all of these updates from various news threads, emails, messages and Facebook posts.
    Unfortunately, a lot of these updates are losses (including complete species from the region) rather than gains.

Cooberrie Park doesn’t have Rusa Deer anymore (they still have Fallow Deer).

Symbio informed me that they no longer have Fallow Deer.

Both Caversham and Hunter Valley Zoo informed me that they do not currently hold Chital Deer. Both zoos still have Fallow Deer (which are already listed).

Neither zoo hold African Forest Buffalo anymore.
    Werribee’s last buffalo died in 2018. She was 21 years old and was euthanized due to age-related issues. They also told me that they first received the species in 2005 (two individuals came from Melbourne Zoo to Werribee Open Range Zoo).
    Taronga Western Plains Zoo no longer has African Forest Buffalo either (that is all the information they provided me with, I tried to ask for further information surrounding when the last one passed away but I am still awaiting an answer).

Darling Downs Zoo doesn’t currently have Barbary Sheep. They haven’t had the species for a few years.

Taronga Zoo’s group of Himalayan Tahr left in 2016 and moved to Hunter Valley Zoo to make space for Tiger Trek and the African Savannah. They do not have any plans to bring the species back to Taronga.
    I then contacted Hunter Valley Zoo to enquire if they still have tahr however they do not hold the species currently. Himalayan Tahr is also not listed on their website.

There are currently eight Bongo (6.2) in Australia. Monarto, Taronga and Altina all house one male each. Up until recently, Monarto had two males, however they informed me that one of them had recently passed away. Taronga Western Plains Zoo currently has the breeding male, the two females and two male offspring (one male born in September 2018 and another male born in December 2019).

Common Marmoset at Banana Cabana (from website and recent Facebook posts).
    Banana Cabana | Banana Cabana Primate Sanctuary

Black-capped Capuchin at Banana Cabana (from website and recent Facebook posts).

Banana Cabana has Hamadryas Baboon (from website and recent Facebook posts).

There are no more Bonnet Macaques.
    Banana Cabana’s last female (Suzy) died in 2015. They were kind enough to also tell me a little bit about her history. She originally came from Mugga Lane Zoo, and along with the rest of the bonnet macaques, went to a private owner when the zoo closed. When the owner passed away, she moved to Banana Cabana where she lived out the rest of her days.
    Mansfield Zoo also informed me that their last male was no longer at the zoo (unfortunately they didn’t provide more information on when he died). They do however still have the Rhesus Macaques.

I was informed that the Francois Langurs (two males) at the National Zoo were actually transferred from Mogo Zoo. Therefore Mogo Zoo no longer holds the species.

Tasmania Zoo has two Sumatran tigers from Symbio (Auckland-bred).
    Sydney's favourite Sumatran Tigers 'Cinta and Jalur' are bound for Tasmania [Symbio Wildlife Park]

The National Zoo also received two female tigers (Sumatran tiger hybrids) from Dreamworld in October 2018. They still have the other two males.
    Tiger Cubs | Dreamworld Wildlife Foundation

Last edited: 18 Dec 2019
  20. toothlessjaws

toothlessjaws Well-Known Member

I've pointed this out before on the thread but perhaps it was missed: There is an additional deer species in Australia that is not listed: Sika.

Cassidy Casuar likes this.