Join our zoo community

Exotic Mammals in Australian Zoos

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Chlidonias, 11 Jul 2015.

1. toothlessjaws

toothlessjaws Well-Known Member

Also not sure if they still exist, but I believe Melbourne University had/has a colony of laboratory opossums. (Monodelphis domestica).

2. Yoshistar888

Yoshistar888 Well-Known Member

Also I don’t think melbourne has had golden lion tamarins and emperor tamarins for years now unless they are kept off show.

3. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Thanks for that excellent update. I have made all these changes to the lists.

I left Chital on the "current" list (rather than "former") simply because they are still in the country rather than lost completely, and possibly could be kept at some small collection(s) somewhere.

Like the African Buffalo and Bonnet Macaques, there are quite a few "remnant" species around which will be disappearing soon, but these leftover animals are often kept at zoos which don't have a large media presence.

WhistlingKite24 likes this.
  4. Astrobird

Astrobird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Doesn't monato have chittal deer?

5. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Glad I could be of some assistance @Chlidonias , maintaining a list of this size often requires a collaborative effort in my opinion.:)
    A few more updates regarding capuchin monkeys.
    Wildlife HQ no longer hold Black-capped Capuchins. Their eldest male (Simon) died recently and the other two males (Hoodlum and Pele) were integrated into a larger group at another zoo. Their enclosure now houses Cotton-top Tamarins as the zoo wants to focus more on this species.
    Following @Jambo 's post on the Melbourne Zoo news thread that their capuchin monkeys were no longer on display and potentially not at the zoo anymore, I contacted Zoos Victoria. The zoo informed me that their last capuchins (two males, Damien and Cale) moved to the new Sydney Zoo.

Jambo, Zorro, Zoofan15 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Damien originally came from Hamilton Zoo. Melbourne Zoo’s troop was founded in 2008 with three males from Hamilton Zoo (including Damien) and four females from Brooklands Zoo.

Aside from benefiting Melbourne Zoo, who got to establish a troop; reducing the numbers at Hamilton and Brooklands Zoo allowed them to recommence breeding, something they hadn’t been able to easily do due to each facility having a large population of closely related capuchins.

Capuchin monkey 'baby boom' at Hamilton Zoo | Scoop News

I believe most/all of the founders of Hamilton Zoo’s troop came from Auckland Zoo; including Crystal, who was born at Auckland Zoo in 1966, and was later transferred to Brooklands Zoo in the above mentioned exchange in 2008.

Jambo, Zorro and WhistlingKite24 like this.
  7. WhistlingKite24

As I briefly mentioned on their news thread, Tasmania Zoo recently received three Golden Lion Tamarins. The trio arrived yesterday.
    Santa brings three new monkeys to Tasmania Zoo

Jambo, Zorro and Chlidonias like this.
  8. Riley

Riley Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Chlidonias, Zoofan15, Jambo and 2 others like this.
  9. Riley

Another new species for Hunter Valley Zoo, 2 male Zebra are now out in display

Hunter Valley Zoo

Zorro, Chlidonias, Zoofan15 and 3 others like this.
  10. WhistlingKite24

Billabong Zoo has received Cotton-top Tamarins (2.0)from Perth Zoo. Apparently a female will join them at a later date.
    New arrivals monkeying about at Billabong Zoo

11. WhistlingKite24

Kangaroo Island Wildlife Park (formerly Parndana Wildlife Park) received Common Marmoset in October 2019.
    Security Check

Chlidonias likes this.
  12. WhistlingKite24

Darling Downs Zoo has just announced the arrival of a breeding pair of Maned Wolves from Altina Wildlife Park.
    Darling Downs Zoo
    I also recently contacted all three zoos about their snow leopards and only got a response from Melbourne. They currently hold 1.2 snow leopards - their current breeding pair imported in 2017 (Kang-Ju and Miska) and a female kept off-display, who was born at the zoo (Sundah).
    Their former breeding female and male have both since passed away. Their male (Leon) died in 2017 and their female (Meo) in 2018.

13. Riley

Billabong currently hold 2.1 snow leopards, a pair and then a single male which they rotate between the main enclosure and an off display area

14. WhistlingKite24

I just got an email from Billabong Zoo regarding their snow leopards. As @Riley mentioned they house 2.1 snow leopards - the unrelated pair (Khumbu and Samarra), and a male from the sibling pair (Sabu).
    The other female (Kamala) passed away. There was no mention of when she died.

15. Yoshistar888

I checked in with a keeper at Melbourne Zoo today and they said that they haven’t kept Golden Lion Tamarins and Emperor Tamarins for many many years.

Also there was a something exciting coming soon in the empty Black Capped Capuchin enclosure and the empty Black and White Ruffed lemur enclosure so I’m not sure what’s happening. There were also these signs in a few other enclosure including the carnivore sections phillipine crocodile enclosure.

Is it normal for Veiled Chameleons to be of exhibit for 4 months?

Jambo and Chlidonias like this.
  16. animal_expert01

animal_expert01 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Veiled Chameleons have an extremely short lifespan...

17. WhistlingKite24

Tasmania Zoo now have Cheetah (0.2 from Monarto).
    Two cheetahs welcomed to Tasmania Zoo

Chlidonias likes this.
  18. WhistlingKite24

Melbourne Zoo’s primate collection continues to shrink. I contacted Zoos Victoria and they no longer have Black and White Ruffed Lemur. They recently lost their last lemur.

Jambo and Chlidonias like this.
  19. LOU Y

LOU Y Member 5+ year member

A brief regulatory update:
    Silvery Marmoset were successfully added to the live import list in December 2019 (see here).
    Zambi Wildlife Retreat has brought forward a proposal to add Puma to the live import list (see here).

20. Yoshistar888

Although this brings hope it also dosent. There are many species of mammals on the live import list not in captivity such as 2 night monkey species, smooth coated otters and a lot of others.

Cassidy Casuar likes this.