Join our zoo community

Exotic Mammals in Australian Zoos

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Chlidonias, 11 Jul 2015.

1. Yoshistar888

Yoshistar888 Well-Known Member

I do agree that there are species that need captive attention but zoos refuse to give them attention. (Western Ring Tailed Possum) but we have plenty of resources to care for exotic species the problem is the mindset of thre government and by extension the ZAA.

Our import laws even for zoos are unreasonably strict meaning that zoos concentrate on easy to keep and money making (even non for profit zoos) species flushing out both natives and exotics.

The main problem though is the native mammals that do get attention, our most endangered mammals are small rodents, possums and the occasional macropod and a few others. Conservation efforts for the northern Hairy Nosed Wombat are abysmal, zoos need to constantly monitor the population so in case of an emergency they can take action if needed.

The worst problem is some of the places themselves. Phillip Island Wildife park for example has horrible husbandry conditions and has absolutely no benefit to conservation and is much more popular than moonlit Sanctuary who does a little bit for conservation but is 30 minutes to an hour away from the major holiday areas.

The issue is that zoos are solely focused on entertaining the public first and foremost but the other big problem is that major zoos are getting lazy and converting old and possible space into more kid and playground areas even if the zoo already has five.

The biggest enemies to conservation are children (like under 10), and Koalas .[/QUOTE]

Zorro and Dassie rat like this.
  2. toothlessjaws

toothlessjaws Well-Known Member

I don't think I agree with that statement. NHNW's have had a very slow but steady increase in population since serious conservation efforts were started. Its a slow mathematical climb from the brink of extinction - You can't expect much better than that when you a species numbers slip to as low the the NHNW's got.

I'm not sure if zoos need or do to monitor the population either. My understanding is that the zoos involvement was to start a concerted effort to breed the southern species as an analogue for the rarer northern one and develop husbandry guidelines. This is because, if I recall right, efforts to keep the northern species at Dubbo in the 90's had been abandoned with the animals failing to adapt to captivity.

Riley, Yoshistar888 and MRJ like this.
  3. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Some exotic mammal news from my visit to Darling Downs Zoo today:
    Darling Downs Zoo recently received 3.0 Bolivian Squirrel Monkeys and they are now on-display. They are the only ones currently in Queensland.
    The zoo doesn’t currently have Capybara. Their last male (Nigel) moved to a zoo in New South Wales to breed.

4. Yoshistar888

Just to confirm, I contacted Melbourne Zoo and they still do have Golden Lion Tamarins.

In other news the only rainbow boa in the region is on display.

Zorro likes this.
  5. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Did they mention how many?

6. Yoshistar888

No but I might be able to check next time I contact them.

Zorro likes this.
  7. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I fully updated all the animal lists (for both Aus and NZ) a week ago, and you're already making changes! :p

I'm sceptical of this answer from them. The only reason I had Golden Lions on there for Melbourne before was because I didn't know if they were actually still there or not (my last full update had been in 2017 or 2018, and I think they've been gone since around 2017). If they have them now then they must have just got them.

8. AWP

AWP Well-Known Member 5+ year member

What about Matschie's Tree Kangaroos? I saw it in the Bronx, but I don't know if it is a common species in North American zoos or that it is as rare as in Europe.

Singapore Zoo keeps a group of five Goodfellow's Tree Kangaroo. It kept Matschie's before in the Fragile Forest, at my visit in 2002.

Last edited: 9 Feb 2020
  9. drill

drill Well-Known Member

i know of a decent amout of zoos with Matschie's here. At
    19 according to the thread Marsupials in The United States. In Canada, Toronto should still have, though don't know about others.

AWP likes this.
  10. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

There are still lots of Matscie's around.

11. WhistlingKite24

Perth Zoo has announced the arrival of Common Marmosets.
    Perth Zoo

12. WhistlingKite24

D’Aguilar Wildlife has received Brazilian Agouti.
    Security Check

Chlidonias likes this.
  13. WhistlingKite24

D’Aguilar Wildlife has Pygmy Marmoset.
    Security Check

Zorro and Chlidonias like this.
  14. WhistlingKite24

Recently the National Zoo and Aquarium posted an image of their female Sri Lankan leopard on their Facebook page and a few zoo visitors mentioned a male leopard. I then contacted the zoo and they indeed confirmed that the zoo had received a male (Ankesh). He was imported from Zoo Santillana del Mar in Spain.

Last edited: 10 Apr 2020
  15. steveroberts

steveroberts Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Brilliant news!!! Theres now a Sri Lankan Leopard pair in Aus, good on Canberra Zoo. Hope Ankesh and Yakallah go well together with possible future cubs that would be exciting! Gonna have to get down to Canberra and see Ankesh and Yakallah hopefully next year.

16. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

With the second pair going to the Darling Downs zoo and a (possible) 3rd pair to Adelaide zoo

17. steveroberts

steveroberts Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Thats fantastic! good on Dalrling Downs and hope Adelaide follows through with the commitment to Sri Lankan Leopards. Wish Taronga, Melbourne and Perth would do the same.

18. WhistlingKite24

The region's last Puma passed away yesterday at the age of 19. :(

From Zambi Wildlife Retreat's Facebook page:
    Security Check

Chlidonias and MattyP like this.
  19. MattyP

MattyP Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I just read this and was about to post here, but you beat me to it. Such sad news

20. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There goes the last member of the recommended Americas species for the region. Can we just admit that there was not enough interest in maintaining pumas in the country... Disappointing result again.

steveroberts likes this.