Join our zoo community

Exotic Mammals in Australian Zoos

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Chlidonias, 11 Jul 2015.

1. Yoshistar888

Yoshistar888 Well-Known Member

Jungle Man likes this.
  2. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Both of these species have been mentioned in this thread already (marmosets arrived in July 2019 and tamarins in January 2020). They just aren't listed on the official list for some reason. There are a few other ones missing:

*Patagonian Mara at Hunter Valley Zoo (most recent Facebook post showing them in May 2020)

*Goodfellow's Tree Kangaroo at Australian Reptile Park and Featherdale (both regularly mentioned on their social media pages)

*Fallow Deer at Wildlife HQ (last one still going strong as of my visit a month ago)

3. Yoshistar888

My bad :p

4. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I don't know why the monkeys were missing - I'm positive I added both at the times of you originally posting about them - so I think I may have accidentally removed them again during the last big edit I did (probably there was confusion due to there being two Billabongs in Australia).

Not sure why the Mara at Hunter Valley and the Tree Kangaroo at Australian Reptile Park were missing either, but they are back on there now.

I'm not sure that Featherdale still has their Tree Kangaroo though.

Jungle Man and Yoshistar888 like this.
  5. WhistlingKite24

Featherdale seem to still have their tree kangaroo from their social media pages. These Facebook posts are only from a few weeks ago.
    Security Check
    Security Check

Jungle Man and Chlidonias like this.
  6. WhistlingKite24

An update on the Persian Onagers at Taronga Western Plains Zoo via email. The zoo is now down to only three (2.1) animals - males Juwani (1998) and Farsi (2001), and female Rani (1998).

7. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

A shame they went to so much trouble back then importing 8 animals from two different counties, they were well suited to the zoo and climate, they could of kept them going by importing a few more imports over time since they are endangered, A 2rd and 3rd collection could have been formed within the country, I believe this reduction of species will come at a cost at some stage in the future when the public feel its not worth the visit to see less species, At least we have Altina to thank for not losing the Maned Wolfs from the region and look how well are are doing with them now! :)

Last edited: 21 Sep 2020
  8. Yoshistar888

Also Melbournes Black and White Ruffed lemur is still on the list, it passed away last year as reported on by myself and WhistlingKite.

9. Jake1508

Jake1508 Well-Known Member

I don’t remember Mansfield having Himalayan Tahr, maybe the visitors got confused with Blackbuck.

10. Patrick Keegan

Patrick Keegan Well-Known Member

Taronga's youngest Asian elephant jai dee died yesterday.
    from their facebook page

It is with deep sadness we share the devastating news, that Jai Dee our three-year-old Asian elephant suddenly passed away yesterday afternoon. The preliminary cause of death has been identified as a torsion in the intestines, or twisted bowel as it is sometimes called.

Jai Dee started to show signs of abdominal pain Monday morning and was quickly treated by our Taronga Wildlife Hospital staff who administered medication to ease his symptoms. By midday, Jai Dee was displaying normal behaviour and was monitored closely by keepers and veterinarians, but unfortunately, his condition deteriorated rapidly yesterday morning and despite a full emergency response he devastatingly passed away later that day.

Jai Dee was an incredible member of the Taronga family, whose cheeky personality and playful antics which included his love of swimming touched the hearts of many, both locally and around the world. His name in Thai means ‘heart’ and yesterday we lost a piece of Taronga’s heart with his sad passing.

Jai Dee was three years old and was the fourth calf born at Taronga Zoo Sydney as part of our commitment to the regional breeding program for this endangered species. This is an extremely sad time for all who loved and cared for him, particularly our Elephant team whom he shared a special bond with. We invite all of our community to leave a message of condolence and support in the comments below.

#forthewild

11. WhistlingKite24

I confirmed via email that Taronga Zoo have received two Dromedaries (Ras and Storm) from Taronga Western Plains Zoo. They live in the former bull elephant/giraffe yard and are now shown on the zoo's most recent edition of their map: https://taronga.org.au/sites/default/files/2020-10/TZMap_Ed11v07.pdf

AWP, Jungle Man, Jambo and 2 others like this.
  12. WhistlingKite24

Amazing news! According to the Zoos SA Annual Report, Adelaide Zoo imported three female Black-and-white Colobus Monkeys from France! The relevant section:
    Full report: https://www.zoossa.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/Zoos-SA-Annual-Report-2019-2020.pdf

13. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Great news! :) Melbourne have an elderly pair left, so it’s nice to have some more genetics into the region. It’s good to know that at least one Zoo is not letting them die out!

14. WhistlingKite24

WILD LIFE Sydney Zoo have received 1.0 Goodfellow’s Tree Kangaroo. He came from Healesville Sanctuary. Full article can be found here: https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp...o/news-story/7b404e0a9b700950de1930e6bfc1de85

15. WhistlingKite24

Rockhampton Zoo have announced the arrival of Meerkats: Log into Facebook | Facebook

Chlidonias likes this.
  16. WhistlingKite24

Billabong Zoo recently posted an image of a Pygmy Marmoset on their Facebook page [Log into Facebook | Facebook] which got me curious as they haven't had the species before as far as I know. I then contacted them seeking more details about when they arrived. The zoo confirmed that they received both Pygmy Marmosets and Golden Lion Tamarins about three months ago. Both species are now on public display.

Recently, it seems like a lot of the Australian zoos are interested in the lion tamarins. In 2020 alone, Darling Downs, Gorge and Billabong have all added this species to their collections.

Last edited: 26 Nov 2020
    steveroberts and Chlidonias like this.
  17. WhistlingKite24

A short update on a few exotic mammals from the relevant Australian government website:

*Puma was added to the live import list in June 2020 however a condition was made that only desexed individuals can be imported (List of Specimens taken to be Suitable for Live Import Amendment (Puma) Instrument 2020).

*recent applications to import Red-bellied Tamarin (Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment) and even more excitingly, Bat-eared Fox (Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment) have been made. I hope they are successfully processed in due course.

18. toothlessjaws

toothlessjaws Well-Known Member

Seems like pretty nonsensical and unnecessary conditions regarding the puma.

If I recall right Darling Downs are behind the tamarin and fox applications. Not sure I like their chances with the foxes, might be more successful referring to them as "bat-eared canids".

DDZ is also has applied for Silvery marmosets. Whilst i'm all for more species in general, it sure is a lot of callithrids!

steveroberts and zoomaniac like this.
  19. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I believe to date DDZ have the largest range of callithrids in Queensland!

20. WhistlingKite24

Yes the document mentions that Darling Downs Zoo would like to import two unrelated pairs of Bat-eared Fox to begin with. Apparently there are three zoos interested with both the Silvery Marmosets and the Red-bellied Tamarins.
    They should have five to six species of callitrichids at the moment - Common Marmoset, Golden Lion Tamarin, Red-handed Tamarin, Emperor Tamarin and Cotton-top Tamarin. I am not 100% about whether they still have Pygmy Marmoset - they haven't been on-display for quite some time (of course that doesn't necessarily mean they don't still have them). If they do still have the pygmys then that would be the complete set available in the region currently.

Wildlife HQ (emperor, cotton-top, golden lion, common and pygmy), Halls Gap (same range of species as Wildlife HQ), Perth Zoo (same combination of species as Wildlife HQ and Halls Gap) and Hunter Valley Zoo (emperor, cotton-top, red-handed, common and pygmy) all have five species.

Last edited: 28 Nov 2020
    steveroberts and Zorro like this.