Join our zoo community

Exotic Mammals in Australian Zoos

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Chlidonias, 11 Jul 2015.

1. animal_expert01

animal_expert01 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

When I went to Alma Park Zoo, before it closed there was a relatively large group of around 10-15 squrriel monkeys. I am unsure however, of which species if squrriel monkey. Just putting it out there as some of the squrriel monkeys in Australia may be descended from this group.

2. animal_expert01

Sorry I just read Childonias post that they all died. Can you please delete this message and the above message.

3. animal_expert01

There are no long any Asian Short-Clawed Otters at Underwater World (Which is now called SEA LIFE Mooloolaba). A keeper told me all but one of the otters at Australia zoo died so they sent them there as otters are very social species. SEA LIFE Mooloolaba had three otters, Mayhem, Koas and Lou. Although only Mayhem was sent to Australia Zoo. I am unsure which, if any otters died at Australia Zoo as I have found no evidence (However the Australia Zoo website only has profiles for 2 otters, Mayhem and Rosie).Originally before Mayhem Australia Zoo had three otters, Rosie, Bonnie and Maria. Bonnie and Maria where acquired by the Zoo in 1999 as two sisters at the ages of one, meaning if they are still alive, they are both 18. However otters lifespans are generally only around 15 years so the two that died (if any died at all) where most likely Bonnie and Maria. There other otter is Rosie who they got in late 2010 at the age of 6, meaning now she is around 14 years of age. They got Mayhem in August, 2015 at the age of 14, which makes him currently at the age of 16. I am unsure where SEA LIFE Mooloolaba's two other otters (Koas and Lou) went.

Also Harare, the last African Lion at Melbourne Zoo as sadly passed away...

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp...s/news-story/0a21410ac74b416466dc6cf3c538465c

Last edited: 10 Apr 2017
  4. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

a new photo has been released of the three cubs. They are not king cheetahs.
    Cheetah cubs make debut in Dubbo

5. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

The last Matschie's Tree Kangaroo in the country died 21 April 2017 aged 21 - she was born in 1995 at Adelaide.

6. Chlidonias

normally I'm not too concerned in this thread with births (rather with species as a whole being added or deleted from collections), but they are worth mentioning when the species is so low in the country as polar bears.

Two cubs have been born at Sea World Gold Coast: Sea World Gold Coast - Polar Bear Cub Born

ZooBoyNZ and Coelacanth18 like this.
  7. Chlidonias

which makes the second species lost this year (Matschie's Tree Kangaroo and African Elephant).

In 2016 we lost Tree Shrews.

In 2015 we lost Bengal and Sunda Slow Lorises, Bornean Gibbon, and Dhole.

8. Chlidonias

I have just gone through the list and made some updates. All the additions and deletions are from what has been reported on the forums. There will probably be lots of other amendments which need to be made - for example, there are a number of elderly animals on the list which may or may not still be alive, but they are generally in zoos which don't bother with press releases.

The changes I made (in order):

*African Elephant: moved to the "former" list as the last individual, Cuddles at TWPZ, died on 22 March 2017.

*White Rhinoceros: since the last change to the list, Altina received their three new rhinos - male Mtoto from Auckland Zoo in September 2016, and in October 2016 females Mango from Australia Zoo and Tatu from "a German zoo". If anyone knows which zoo Tatu is from, that would be nice.

*Pigmy Hippopotamus: a female calf born at Taronga Zoo on 21 Feb 2017 (Fergus x Kambiri), making 3.2 in the country.

*Giraffe: Darling Downs Zoo was added, with two females arriving from Australia Zoo in December 2016.

*Peel Zoo was added to Fallow Deer and Red Deer and Alpaca following LaughingDove's visit last year.

*Red Deer: Monarto was also added.

*Caversham was added to Alpaca and Llama following Hix's visit last year.

*Ring-tailed Lemur: Oakvale Farm was added, with three lemurs arriving in September 2016.

*Geoffroy's Spider Monkey: Queensland Zoo was added, with three males arriving from Auckland Zoo in October 2016.

*Bolivian Squirrel Monkey: Hunter Valley Zoo was added, with four monkeys arriving in November 2016.

*De Brazza's Monkey: apparently gone from Mogo Zoo in late 2016? I left it on the list with a question mark.

*Francois Langur: Mogo Zoo was added, with apparently two arriving in late 2016 from Taronga (noted from a visit, and then corroborated by photos being found on Instagram: see posts #31 and #38 on Mogo Zoo - Mogo Zoo News)

*African Lion: the last one at Melbourne Zoo (Harare) died on 25 January 2017, but I'm leaving them on the list as three cubs from Werribee will be moving to Melbourne later in 2017. Billabong Zoo has been added however, having imported two cubs from Ukutula in South Africa in August 2016 (on show as of the end of September).

*White Lions: Tasmania Zoo has been added, receiving four males from Canberra's National Zoo in November 2016; and Hunter Valley Zoo has been added, receiving 1.1 from Darling Downs Zoo in December 2016.

*Sumatran Tiger: although there are currently none at Taronga Zoo, I'm leaving them on the list because the tigers will be back on show later this year.

*Syrian Bear: moved to the "former" list as the last individual, Honey at Melbourne Zoo, died on 9 Nov 2016.

*Polar Bear: two cubs noted as having been born at Sea World Gold Coast on 26 April 2017

*Fennec Fox: gone from Monarto Zoo? Left with a question mark.

*Binturong: Adelaide Zoo removed from the list as their only individual died in January 2016.

*Small-clawed Otter: Tasmania Zoo added, with three males arriving in December 2016, from the closed Cairns Tropical Zoo (one) and Gorge Wildlife Park (two). Underwater World at Mooloolaba has been removed as they apparently no longer hold the species.

*Capybara: Hunter Valley Zoo added, with three animals received in November 2016.

*Matschie's Tree Kangaroo: moved to the "former" list as the last individual in Australia died at Adelaide Zoo on 21 April 2017.

9. Grant Rhino

Grant Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I visited Mogo and Canberra a few weeks ago. There is still a De Brazza at Canberra (the last one in Australia apparently) but there was no sign of Francois Langurs at Mogo though.

10. Chlidonias

thanks for that. I had a look on National Zoo's website - brand new since the last time I looked! I see they have Fallow Deer there, so I've added them to that species' list. The website also confirms that, as has been suspected, they just have one Brown Bear now (the female Darkle). No mention of the Puma which I suspect is long-dead.

I've modified the De Brazza's Monkey account on my list to note that the ones at Mogo and Tasmania Zoos are probably dead.

I guess the ZAA has now successfully achieved its phase-out of De Brazza Monkeys - but at least we have a healthy population of their replacement species, the Diana Monkey. Oh, wait...

I've left Mogo there for Francois' Langur because I don't know what the story is with them. Did you notice what was in the cages which had previously held the De Brazza's or Spider Monkeys at Mogo?

11. gabryatfendor

gabryatfendor Well-Known Member

Southern White Rhino Tatu is from Hodenhagen, Lower Saxony. She was born in 2013 to Kianga and Martin.

12. Chlidonias

excellent, thanks for that!

13. Chlidonias

looking through Instagram photos from Mogo I found one which looks like it might contain a Francois' Langur from January. It is at bottom right of the photo montage.
    Instagram post by JamateurPhotographerBonsaist • Jan 18, 2017 at 8:23pm UTC

14. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

I know people at Mogo - they definitely have Francois.

:p

Hix

15. Grant Rhino

From memory, they had binturong and ruffed lemur in them. But, I will be there again this week and I will make a point of checking what is in each of these enclosures and I will write it down just to check. I will also try to find out where the francois langurs are.

16. Grant Rhino

What's the story with Diana Monkeys? I had no idea that ZAA ever planned to bring them in.

17. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It would be nice to see Mogo add another bloodline if they are indeed two males!

18. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Does Europe have enough that they can afford sending any to Australia? If not, they might not available, because North America sure doesn't have enough to spare any; they're barely hanging on as it is.

19. Chlidonias

the De Brazza's phase-out was so that the zoos could concentrate instead on Diana Monkeys because they were considered to be in more need of "conservation". There were no Dianas in the country at the time, and none were ever brought in. The De Brazza's were from limited stock, but just importing some more individuals would have sorted that out. Instead they simply stopped breeding them and now we have neither species.

Grant Rhino likes this.
  20. Grant Rhino

Let's hope they bring in some more black and white colobus then and start focusing on that species at least. A few zoos in Australia have them, so why not increase the numbers...

It saddens me to see how Old World monkey species seem to be neglected so much in Australia. There are heaps of New World monkeys being bred, but the Old World ones are simply ignored: We have one group of Vervets at Werribee, one group of Dusky Leaf Monkeys at Adelaide (the most beautiful species in my view), a few Colobus in various places, a group of Francois langurs at Sydney and one at Mogo (apparently) - yet there seems to be no effort to breed any of these in large numbers...

What have the New World monkeys got that is so interesting that the Old World monkeys don't have......