Join our zoo community

Exotic/Rare animals in Canada

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Gaz, 7 Oct 2010.

1. Gaz

Gaz Member

Hello,

I am writing in hope you can help me with my query. I have been trying a lot of forums and emailed a couple of people. A representative from Toronto Zoo recommended I contacted CAZA but no reply after about 4 emails still.

I am wondering what are the laws in Canada on owning exotic animals, for private zoos, breeding, rehabilitation, educational purposes etc. Do you know of a website where it clearly states all laws regarding Exotic ownership around Canada? Are there any areas, to your knowledge, that you can purchase an exotic animal ,like you would a rabbit, and take it home and that's that(Other than going through months of paperwork). Do you have to have a certain license to own animals like them simply to prove you have the land and resources to home such animals and from then on you can purchase exotic animals, like you would a rabbit, as I said?

I am curious on the laws in Canada and if you could fill me in on them all, and the laws of towns that might require the most minimum 'paperwork' I would be glad to know.

This is for educational purposes, of course.

Even a list of different species and the laws with keeping them would be great.

Regards,

Gary

2. Aglemar

Aglemar Active Member

I can't answer all your questions, but I believe the exotic animal laws don't generally have provincial laws that cover them. From what I remember, it looks like laws surrounding them are on a municipal level, which means what the exotic animal laws are can vary widely depending on what location you are in, and can easily be changed by a local community.

3. Gaz

Gaz Member

Ah, right. Has anybody more information on this topic, please?
    Also Aglemar, do you know anywhere that allows exotics or even is there a license like the.. USDA or something like that, that the laws should not change?

4. KrissyR

KrissyR Well-Known Member

5. Gaz

Gaz Member

Thank you very much. Are you aware of anywhere that owning such animals are allowed? That helped a lot though thanks!

6. KrissyR

KrissyR Well-Known Member

I've heard rumours of big cats & bears being kept as pets in Ontario and Quebec and a acquaintance of mine in Ontario has a small primate as a pet but she has permits.

7. Gaz

Gaz Member

Hm, right. Thank you very much, KrissyR!

Has anybody any more information, please?

8. bluebadger

bluebadger Member

Bear Creek Sanctuary

Probably contact them for more information? They are in Ontario but not all that near the main population area around Toronto.

There are a bunch more places in Ontario and Quebec that are privately run. Some are open to the public.

9. Gaz

Gaz Member

Thank you very much. I sent them an email, hoping on a reply. If anybody else has any ideas, please let me know.

Thanks a million!

10. Leptonyx

Leptonyx Well-Known Member

Hey Gaz

As far as I know Aglemar is correct on the laws regarding captive exotics being held at the Municipal level (Guelph for example doens't allow any snakes or venomous spiders :p) There are some laws regarding "exotics" goverened at the provincial level...for example I believe Saskatchewan doesn't allow pythons/boas and Alberta apparently has a "rat-free" policy :p The permits get messy too because as far as I know there is no clear-cut definition for what an "exotic" is...if it's something non-native then that weeds a TON of birds we all know are available in petshops (aka- parrots) :p

At least in Ontario; the "laws" requiring you to become a rehabilitator include the succesful completion of two courses offered through the government, and a home-inspection (at least that's what it was 3 years ago). Upon that you have to specify which wildlife you are rehabilitating and provide proof that you can adequately house/care for them...for the most part squirrels/wild songbirds are easy enough...you get into black bears/coyotes/raptors it gets a bit messy. You are required to keep track of each animal you admit via an ID and the government provides you a tracking book where you have to track the fate of the animal (released, euthanized, in-rehab, relocated, etc. etc.) If you plan to keep an animal that was admitted (i.e., as a wild animal) it has to be for the purposes of either "breeding" or "education" (I've seen multiple interpretations of what that is so I've quoted it :p) Based off that you need to obtain a Wildlife-in-Captivity permit; that's for native wild animals admitted via wildlife rehabilitation (as far as I know).

The permits regarding keeping other animals in Ontario (i.e., I'm thinking you're getting at Tigers/Lions/Non-native bears :p) gets a bit trickier. As far as I know the only way to *legally* keep these animals is applying for a zoo-permit (which I've been told is not that hard to do; see below...I believe they have now expanded it to include you have to reach X number of people for education purposes but the number of critiera haven't been increased substantially...it also carries the downside they can take your license away at any time and at which case you're in BIG trouble for rehoming those animals)

Wildlife in Captivity: The Licensing of Ontario?s Zoos - Eco Issues

My understanding is that this is more or less the "all-encompassing" permit that will allow you to keep exotics for the purpose of breeding, education, private display, etc. I believe this permit only applies to non-native species and doesn't believe apply for native animals (you might need to get a separate permit for natives)...or if it does it excludes Species-At-Risk/Endangered species and you are not allowed to breed them.

I'm not aware of any one "place" you can go and pick up an exotic in Canada (short of checking on Kijiji/ad sites for the scary posts, and the occasional run-down pet store that gets its animals from questionable sources...). In the states I know people can subscribe to the Animal Finders' Guide...I believe it was originally intended for zoos in America to swap/trade/purchase exotics but I think it's been expanded to private collectors (though other conditions may apply). They DO however have a nice section on permits for the US...if you're interested :p

about Page for Animal Finders' Guide - Your wildlife resource for exotic wild animals!

Anyways hopefully this helps :p