Join our zoo community

Exotic Species Living in the UK

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by garyjp, 24 Jan 2015.

1. Campbell89

Campbell89 Well-Known Member

I know this is semi irrelevant as its not in the UK but there are a lot of ring necks parakeets in Tenerife. Although these may be african ring necks that have migrated as opposed to Indian ring necks which are commonly kept as pets in the UK.

2. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Don't forget that some of the introduced species have been exterminated. Muskrats were eliminated before World War 2 and coypu in the 1980s. It's happening now with ruddy duck, which were introduced accidentally when the staff at Slimbridge couldn't catch all their ruddy ducklings to pinion them. They are being shot to prevent them spreading into Europe where they could hybridise with white-headed ducks, which are in enough trouble already. Even the black rat has been eradicated from many islands and mainland areas.
    On the other hand there seems to be no prospect of eliminating the worst pests including the brown rat, grey squirrel, Rhododendron ponticum or Japanese knotweed.
    If you want further information, there are 299 factsheets available from the Biological Records Centre Factsheet list | GB Non-natives Factsheet Editor

Alan

3. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Ironically, this is largely due to the introduced brown rat outcompeting them and causing them to go extinct in the UK barring a single permanent colony in the Outer Hebrides and occasional, short-lived populations at ports. One wonders if we should introduce some form of mongoose to deal with the introduced brown rat and grey squirrel, next..... ;) :p

There was an old woman who swallowed a cow,
    I don't know how she swallowed a cow!
    She swallowed the cow to catch the goat,
    She swallowed the goat to catch the dog,
    She swallowed the dog to catch the cat,
    She swallowed the cat to catch the bird,
    She swallowed the bird to catch the spider,
    That wriggled and jiggled and tickled inside her,
    She swallowed the spider to catch the fly,
    I don't know why she swallowed the fly,
    Perhaps she'll die.

4. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Black Rat.

I have a nasty feeling there are plans afoot to eradicate the Shiant Isles colony too- because of the presumed harm they do to the large seabird colonies on the Islands. This was done on Lundy Island too, to help the Puffins- despite no proven evidence the Rats were the actual cause of their decline.

Two species(both increasing) which can have an effect on Grey Squirrel numbers longterm are Goshawk and Pine Marten. Squirrels are a favourite prey of both (yum,yum...) More than once I have seen Grey squirrels give alarm calls and freeze or hide in response to a hunting Goshawk.

5. lamna

lamna Well-Known Member

I can't remember where I heard it, but I'm pretty sure I've heard Goshawks prefer Red Squirrels.

While it would be good news that they would prevent grey squirrels getting too numerous and damaging trees/taking nestlings and eggs, predators won't have a huge effect.

6. garyjp

garyjp Well-Known Member 5+ year member

its always amazed me we havent got a real top predator in the Uk now except birds of prey etc. perhaps we should re introduce wolves or the like

7. mazfc

mazfc Well-Known Member

We no longer have wild raccoon dogs, he's been found. Very battered though poor lad, bloodied and with lost teeth, he was 6 miles from home and appeared to have been run over.

Last edited: 28 Jan 2015
  8. garyjp

garyjp Well-Known Member 5+ year member

shame some of us are just not designed for outdoor life

9. Pertinax

For a European Goshawk, Red squirrel would be its natural prey, given Grey is introduced. So its possible the bird is better programmed to target Reds, though I think they will still hunt Greys in areas where no Reds occur anymore.

10. Pertinax

Beavers

Good news for the Beavers in East Devon too- they are being allowed to stay- for now. I am unclear whether they are going to try and prove in the meantime(DNA test?) if they are European or American though, and whether the result of that will affect their longerterm prospects.

11. lamna

lamna Well-Known Member

Grey squirrel are also slightly bigger, and possibly harder to kill. But I'm sure they'll make use of them if they have no other choice.

As introduced species go, the grey isn't that bad, ecologically. Not great if you're a red squirrel but they fill the same niche and don't seem to harm much else.

12. Johnny Morris.

Johnny Morris. Well-Known Member

I saw a Black Swan in a field near St Brides, Newport yesterday.

13. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

Yes there are quite a few around now, you often see them with Mute Swans, in fact I believe the two species have hybridized before.

14. IanRRobinson

IanRRobinson Well-Known Member

Grey Squirrels being bigger makes them slower and a more rewarding meal. It would be interesting to know how they fare against Goshawks in Wales or Northumberland

One of the reasons why Grey Squirrel has become such a nuisance over much of lowland Britain is the lack of non-human predation. Perhaps Goshawk, Eagle Owl and Pine Marten will be allowed to increase to a level where this ceases to be the case, and pro - active conservation of Red Squirrel outside its core range has a greater chance.

15. Pertinax

16. Communityzoo

Communityzoo Well-Known Member

17. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

18. jacks zoo

jacks zoo Well-Known Member

19. ISOE2012

ISOE2012 Well-Known Member

20. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member