Join our zoo community

Exotics in Australia not being held at Zoos

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by ZYBen, 28 Feb 2008.

1. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Go on Patrick you know you should live on a few acres

2. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

I have never seen carolina wood ducks, cdoesnt meqan you cant get em

3. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

a few acres! thats not enough space for my elephants! ;)

4. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

THey better be free range pat! not a small city block!

5. patrick

thats why i need more than a few acres ben! :rolleyes:

6. Ara

Ara Well-Known Member

I like pheasants! In the past I had Goldens, Amhersts, Silvers and Swinhoes. They are breath-takingly beautiful when in sunlight, even the common old Ringneck, and are ridiculously cheap to buy in comparison to exotic parrots.

The only drawback is that, being a gamebird they are flighty. I've had them scalp themselves on the wire when something scares them.

In the past Taronga had a good display of them but now there are just a few in Wild Asia. Do Melbourne and Adelaide zoos still display them?

7. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

@Ara: there are no pheasants listed in my Adelaide Zoo guide book, but you'll have to ask Patrick in regards to the situation in Melbourne.

8. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

Adelaide ZOo still has many speasants, Kalij, Silver and many others most are in teh Pheasdantry between tamarins and noc house and some are in teh jewels of asia aviaries

9. Monty

Monty Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Most people on this site seem very negetive about places like Tipperary and any hunting. I think it would be a good thing for larger populations of exotic animals if hunting ranches were legal. Tipperary would have put a lot more effort into breeding their exotics if they could make money from their excess males. I do not want to hunt on any of them but there are plenty who will pay big sums to do so.

10. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

i do agree with you on taht monty, if theres a drive for it then they would

11. PAT

PAT Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Melbourne does have them in the asia trails. I think golden pheasents.

And i should have mentioned that magazine was four years ago

12. Coquinguy

Coquinguy Well-Known Member

taronga has kalij, amherst and golden pheasants plus green peafowl and chukar partridge.
    you can get carolina wooducks but they are rare, exxy and suffering from....
    high levels of inbreeding with few options for out breeding due to restricted gene pool, as well as high levels of aggression in the males. as the years go by fewer birds are reproducing and this is having a bottleneck effect. the wood duck may be the next exotic waterfowl species of only a few in Australia to become extinct

13. patrick

pheasants (and other exotic asian birds) at melbourne....

last week melbourne had only goldens, amhearst's and a supposed green peafowl (which i'm sure is a green/blue hybrid). they collection of asian birds has changed much in the last 5 years, having lost a lot of asian birds they originally bred or kept.

gone are the luzon bleeding hearts and plum-headed parakeets. gone are siamese firebacks. i don't think they have any red-whiskered bulbuls anymore and may be down to their last nicobar pigeon.

they do however have some nice asian birds still. chattering lories and white-bibbed ground doves (which are actually PNG birds), pekin robins, mandarin ducks, various finches as well as the above mentioned pheasants.

14. Zoo_Boy

Zoo_Boy Well-Known Member

wow the exotics not in zoos, actaully is turing out to be all exotics in zoos!

15. patrick

well we were talking about what pheasants were no longer in zoos, so it was kinda on topic ;).....

um, but really thats it. i think we have pretty much listed everything now, so theres nowhere to go with it.

oh, hold on, what about reindeer? years ago i sure i saw a news report that had a "santa" in a shopping mall, or something similar, in australia, with live reindeer...

16. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

i dunno... Maybe just some other sort, seaworld could get some! lol

17. Jarkari

Jarkari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

No Zebra at tipperary. and I believe the national marmoset colony in SA was shutdown and moved to Monash and again may have been shutdown (not sure)
    Don't hold me to this but I believe the animals at RPA Hospital are owned or were owned by the Bullen's. I remember reading something about a group Called Bullen's primate Research Foundation or somehting along those lines. . . please correct me if I'm wrong, but would explain how they are able to support their collections.
    So also
    Bullens,
    Tigers
    Leopard (may not be any there any more, any info???)
    Puma (again not sure if they still have any)
    Lions (estimate over ten)

18. Faraji

Faraji Active Member

There use to be (6 years ago), so I'm sure there still is, a private facility in Dural (western Sydney) which hold a number of primates. When I visited there in 2002, the woman who owned it had Spider Monkeys, Pig-Tailed Macaques, Rhesus Macaques and maybe one or two other species.

Plus I'm not sure if the old, now closed, Mugga Lane Zoo in Canberra still has any old stock.

19. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

[ a private facility in Dural (western Sydney) which hold a number of primates. When I visited there in 2002, the woman who owned it had Spider Monkeys, Pig-Tailed Macaques, Rhesus Macaques and maybe one or two other species.

Bonnets, a de Brazza.

Plus I'm not sure if the old, now closed, Mugga Lane Zoo in Canberra still has any old stock.[/QUOTE]

No!

20. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

So that didnt exist steve?