Join our zoo community

Australia Zoo Expansion back on the agenda

Discussion in 'Australia' started by kiang, 11 Mar 2010.

1. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

AUSTRALIA Zoo will give the state government 200 hectares of Peachester forestry plantation and $400,000 to expand its Beerwah site.

In a proposed deal struck with the government, 114.6 hectares of land from Beerwah State Forest will be traded with the zoo.

The extra land will enable the zoo to expand to include a 300-room hotel and an open-range safari experience, incorporating landscapes and animals from places like Africa, South-East Asia and North America.

Sustainability minister Kate Jones told parliament the deal was the best way to accommodate the zoo’s expansion.

“It represents a significant step in enhancing the zoo’s already wide-reaching profile and provides an opportunity for it to demonstrate its commitment to nature conservation on a global scale,” she said.

“The Department of Environment and Resource Management and Forestry Plantations Queensland have given very careful consideration to the proposal put forward by Australia Zoo, and consultation has occurred with numerous stakeholders.”

Though the proposal was supported by the LNP, Member for Noosa Glen Elmes said he was concerned the zoo, as a commercial enterprise, stood to make millions of dollars through the exchange and it was “important that the exact details of the arrangement are made public and go on the record”.

A spokeswoman from the zoo said the deal recognised the contribution the zoo made to the local economy and its potential to increase Queensland tourism.

The economic boost to the local economy is expected to be about $90 million per year.

Land provided for Australia Zoo expansion - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

2. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

@kiang: thanks for posting the link. It is great to finally hear news of the long-anticipated expansion of Australia Zoo, and hopefully things can progress from here.

3. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Watch it jay - kiang is doing well with scoops from Australia!!!

4. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

So the Qld government swapped state forest for a pine plantation, so that the state forest could be turned into a 300 room hotel?

Who makes these decisions?

5. Steve Robinson

Probably the same people who are privatising the State forests anyway. Better to do the deal now rather than wait to negotiate with the new owners.

6. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

If the state forest is natural bushland, even if it has been logged before, makes me wonder about the enviromental cred. of the deal.

7. riseagainst

riseagainst New Member

Guys, just to clarify... there were 3 parcels of land in this deal which was more indepth then the tiny story suggests.

The Zoo actually swapped a parcel of land at one of the conservation properties (I'm can't remember which one) for the land next to the Zoo. The deal was set out years and years ago. Also, just so you know, the plantation next to the Zoo hadn't had any new trees planted in quite a few years. I haven't seen any on it since i've been here.
    Cheers

8. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I wasn't sure which Australia Zoo thread would be the best to post this in, but "Expansion back on the agenda" seemed so ironic.....
    Australia Zoo in crisis? | Sunshine Coast News | Local News in Sunshine Coast | Sunshine Coast Daily
    there's several versions of this article all over the news feeds

9. Monty

Monty Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I'm just reading all the comments after the articles.
    Very few are supportive and many complain about the hight entry price. Nealy $200 for a family of 5.

10. Steve Robinson

Paul .........?

11. Chlidonias

Terri Irwin unloads multimillion-dollar property portfolio as Australia Zoo struggles | Courier Mail

12. Electus Parrot

Electus Parrot Well-Known Member

The African Savannah to be open in december... Should I believe this?

13. Chlidonias

on past history.....I should say no :)

14. riseagainst

riseagainst New Member

Even better, September 17 2011 :rolleyes:

15. mstickmanp

mstickmanp Well-Known Member