Join our zoo community

Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo Expedition Omaha: A Milwaukee Man Review

Discussion in 'United States' started by Milwaukee Man, 19 Sep 2020.

1. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

After briefly hinting at it in the Zoo's news thread, here are my thoughts on this very well-known facility. Just like with my Columbus review a couple years ago, the review will be split into two parts as I spent two days here. Enjoy!

Review of Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium

Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium

Often considered among the top attractions in Nebraska, Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium opened in 1894. However, it was not until the 1970’s that Henry Doorly started to become a major force in the zoological realm. Great strides have been made in conservation and breeding, from the world’s first test-tube tiger born in 1990, to the first gaur ever born via artificial insemination in 1993. At this time, Omaha also began introducing some of the largest and most famous exhibit complexes (Lied Jungle, Cat Complex, Simmons Aviary, etc.) the country has ever seen, receiving vast acclaim and controversy alike – depending on who you ask. :p

A word to describe this Zoo is “BIG.” It is a large zoo at over 130 acres; it has some the largest exhibit complexes to be found not just in North America, but across the globe; it has an enormous collection of 17,000 specimens making up 962 species; and, in my opinion, it has a HUGE appeal. This is primarily thanks to the superb exhibitry and animal collection, both of which cover almost every aspect that one could think of. Top that with its numerous opportunities for visitors on the side, strong community support, a bright future, and extensive conservation programs, and the result is a zoological establishment that has just about everything one – whether they are a zoo fanatic or casual visitor – could ask for.

Part 1: Around the World in Seven Hours

Animal Exhibit Complexes

African Grasslands – The Zoo’s first project in the master plan to be completed. At about 30 acres, this 2016 addition is massive, taking up almost the entire right side of the property when looking at the map. Passing under the archway, the trail winds through some tall grasses, a highly convincing start to my experience in Africa. The grasses soon part, revealing a kopje section, which kicks off the animal exhibits. Up first is a magnificent mixed-species habitat for meerkat, klipspringer, and leopard tortoise; there is a lot of variation in elevation, branches, sand, and even an indoor room during inclement weather. It is a fantastic start, and perhaps the best exhibit I’ve seen for the superstar meerkats. An equally large and excellent enclosure is around the corner, this time housing rock hyrax and numerous birds (Kenya crested guineafowl, superb starling, and golden-breasted starling) in a mesh-enclosed area dominated by huge boulders. Of these animals, I only saw the birds and no hyraxes. The last enclosure here is sandwiched in between: a small white-throated monitor (a first for me) exhibit. Trekking down the hill, two major savanna habitats that take up almost the entire valley below can be seen. One can get several vantage points throughout, whether it is overlooking an entire section, getting bits and pieces at different points, or even looking upwards – rather extraordinary and something one doesn’t come across very often! The first was my favorite of the two – giraffes, ostriches, impala, white storks (didn’t see), and two male lesser kudu (recently added) share a long, grassy habitat that is gorgeous to gaze upon. With the enormous trees offering a good amount of shade, the savanna had a unique feel reminiscent of the one built in Fort Worth. A couple of intriguing components can be found at one end of this exhibit: first is a pavilion that allows for feeding and up-close encounters with the tall mammals, though this was closed off during my visit. Second, because the giraffe quarters are situated across the pathway, a gate has been erected for the gentle giants to cross from building to exhibit. I’m sure this is a great sight to see at opening/closing time! On a side note, a portion of this habitat was sectioned-off for a single white rhino that could be seen better from the bottom of the valley (Does the rhino not get along with the others? Is it to help with the kudu transition?). Near the end of the descent, the other savanna habitat emerges into view – this time housing African elephants, two plains zebras, and more impala (didn’t see). The Zoo’s herd of elephants, most of which consist of the 2016 rescued herd from Swaziland, were found in a dedicated enclosure that was a bit small for the number of animals it held, but came with lots of sand, some shade, and a few browse feeders. The main exhibit, which only held the zebras during my time, is apparently a little over three acres and is laid out a bit odd with the two main sections stationed at each end, and a narrow middle area connecting them. However, it appeared to be a great habitat with hilly terrain, and a mix of dirt and grass throughout; one section contained some protected trees, a good-sized mud wallow, and a large amphitheater for behavior demos, while the other is dominated by a massive, refreshing pool; it is certainly one of the better-quality African elephant exhibits I’ve seen. One final note I’d like to make here is that my visit marked the first time I heard elephants vocalize! While up by the giraffes, I heard trumpeting down below – I looked down and could see the elephants running around, ears fanned out in an intimidating show of nature. Then, I saw what appeared to be a wild white-tailed deer bolt past them. They surely must’ve been freaked out by the odd impala lookalike that unintentionally found its way in! :eek: It’s a pity I wasn’t at the exhibit at the time, but it was still cool to catch a bit of the action nonetheless. The last section found here is a little petting kraal with African pygmy goats that was closed off.

Crossing a bridge over a scenic lagoon takes one past a lush island with African pink-backed pelicans, before taking on the final set of habitats, which is on a hilly loop trail. A large, well-vegetated habitat for bongo is up first, situated on an incline and also comes with a small pool. This is followed by a trio of small African spurred tortoise pens, a fantastic sable antelope savanna that is huge for the majestic species, and an extensive education plaza designed like an African base camp. Some of these features include a jeep, a research chopper, a group of white-pitched tents for overnight events, and even a crate that was used to transport one of the Swaziland elephants. There is also a small refreshment area to take a break from what might as well have been the blazing African sun. All of this theming was really top-notch, and highly effective in giving the complex that immersive touch. The abundant attention to detail transitions to the massive lion habitat nearby. Not only is there a jeep parked halfway through the glass at one point, but there is also a lookout tower much like those that rangers in African preserves use; I imagine keepers use this to observe the cats on display or during feedings. Nearby is an amphitheater that offers a look at lion behavioral training. Huge panes of glass and some open-air views gaze into the king of the jungle’s domain, which is a take I have not seen before. Most lion habitats focus on the open plains, but Omaha provides a gigantic mountain of rocks as the centerpiece, with an emphasis on representing the kopjes that cats in the wild often use. It’s a unique breath of fresh air, and is really well done – to have to actually look up to find two lions was quite a treat! Continuing down the hill, there is a separate fossil cave area that was pretty cool, and finally a great habitat for a pair of cheetahs, which offers grassy hills, and a nice view of the lagoon below.

Expedition Madagascar – One of the most extensive collections of Malagasy species in a zoological facility can be found here. A hallway situated within a large building is the first component, consisting of many nice features, and a few that can use some adjustments. The positive elements include some impressive terrariums for herps, as they are roomy and have many naturalistic details. Some of the species include: chameleon (panther and Oustalet’s), flat-tailed tortoise (another first), spiny-tailed iguana, Madagascar hognose snake, Madagascar ground boa, and several types of mantellas. In addition, as Omaha works hard with ex-situ conservation on the island, there is signage galore that spotlights these accomplishments, including the discovery of some new lemur species. The highlight, in my opinion, is the nocturnal area with a lush terrarium with gecko (don’t recall the species); a straw-colored fruit bat exhibit; a mixed-species habitat for Malagasy jumping rat and grey mouse lemur (both firsts); and the centerpiece is a large, branch-filled, height-varying habitat for aye-ayes and fruit bats. It was a nice appetizer to my experience in Kingdoms of the Night the following day. On the other hand, the lemur exhibits (containing ring-tailed, collared brown, and mongoose species) work nicely if they were just the interior, with an array of branches to clamber around on, and one of them even has a sandy substrate. However, because they are the entire habitats for these occupants, they are a bit on the small side, and it would be nice to give them outdoor access. This can be fixed via access to one of the existing outdoor habitats, or even some overhead trails to scurry through. Also, I feel that the visitor area could probably have benefited from more immersive details such as representing different biomes of Madagascar. Carrying on outside, a pair of fossa resides in a decent-sized habitat that is packed with foliage, followed by a trio of lemur habitats. First, there’s an island (with ring-tailed and collared brown lemurs) that is average in size, with its point of interest being the artificial baobab trees that take up a huge portion, along with some ropes and vines thrown in. Across the boardwalk is a tall, mesh habitat packed with climbing opportunities to occupy the two species (black-and-white ruffed and crowned), and is very nicely done. Finally, there is the walkthrough habitat with red ruffed lemurs and a few bird species (I couldn’t quite read the signs, but I could make out a type of ibis and heron), one of the few walkthrough primate exhibits in the country. The habitat itself looks excellent, with its large size and lush foliage. Sadly, this exhibit was closed off, but I can easily see this being a huge hit with visitors. On the whole, this complex does have some components that can be improved on, but it has many unique elements and species that make it well worth a look.

Asian Highlands – Constructed on previously undeveloped land, this project opened in two phases. Phase One opened in 2018, and starts without even going under the entry sign. A mixed-species habitat for red panda and Chinese muntjac greets the curious visitors before the steep hike. It’s a good size for the two different animals, and there are plenty of branches on offer, though some additional natural features would’ve been nice to see. As the multi-colored flags above, each representing the animals waiting to be experienced, sway gently in the breeze, the gray-brick archway beckons. Shortly after, there is a grassy enclosure for a pair of white-naped crane that allows for very close viewing, and also looks into the larger Indian rhino/Pere David’s deer habitat. Speaking of which, the two species share a large dirt habitat that has a couple bodies of water and is nicely shaded. The deer and two rhinos (a mother and one-year-old son) were exploring this area, while the large, male rhino was in a smaller paddock next-door. The final component of Phase 1 is a lush habitat for two tufted deer. At this point, the path splits up, with signs recommending one to trek along up river, which leads to the area consisting of Phase Two (opened in 2019). Crossing underneath the train bridge that bisects this complex, the sensation of being in a mountain forest truly begins, with the trail winding past boulders big and small, and tall trees offering shady relief. Soon, the first look into a massive habitat for a sloth bear comes into view. While the viewing is predominantly through mesh, the only drawback in my opinion, and there is only a single window at one end, the bear habitat is wonderful – a forest edge oasis that is almost entirely shaded, with tons of space and green hills to romp around, and several opportunities to clamber around, from the cluster of logs to some temple ruins. It is possibly the greatest habitat for this bear species I’ve come across thus far. Continuing the climb brings one to the “Foggy Forest,” an interactive nature trail to encourage children to explore and search for signs of animal activity; this unfortunately was closed off as well. Then comes an extraordinary sight – stone ruins that seemingly make up a lost civilization have been incorporated into viewing windows. This awesome display is set-up for viewing an awesome big cat – the Amur tiger. The temple court now serves as an educational spot for guests, with one example being its circular chambers, describing how tigers mark their territory. Looking into the feline’s territory itself, it is a solid exhibit. While the pool is on the small side, and it could use a bit more foliage (though it could also just be the fact that it needs time to grow), the defining feature is the grassy, shrub-filled hill that takes up the center and creates a scenic forest backdrop. Because of its design, the exhibit doesn’t seem very big at first, but upon closer inspection of the fence line, it’s easy to see that this is quite a large home for tigers. High-rising temple stairs in an adjacent area appear as if they were repurposed into a seating area to observe tiger demonstrations as an additional feature. Up next are two of the best habitats of their kind that I have ever seen – snow leopard and takin. Starting with the elusive felines, their good-sized habitat offers lots of height to take advantage of, from the grassy hills at the base of the enclosure, to the snow-capped cliff-face that towers in the background. It is truly an amazing sight to see the cats resting near the top of the “mountain!” :D Right next-door is an equally impressive habitat shared by Sichuan takin and a single Central Chinese goral. There is a nice-sized grassy hill towards the back, while front and center is a huge assortment of rocky crags. Tons of sections for the agile hoofstock to show off their tremendous climbing and leaping abilities are on offer, which the goral took advantage of during my visit. On one side is a waterfall that spills into a beautiful stream at the bottom of the cliff – a truly stunning scene to end this experience. Lastly, between the two takin viewing areas sits a tranquil oriental village, known as the “Yeti Camp.” This is a nice place to grab a snack, have a breather, and take in the authentic-looking buildings and scenery. Reflecting on my first day at this Zoo, this was my favorite exhibit complex. With its cast of astonishing creatures, the mostly excellent-quality exhibits they inhabit, the cultural attention to detail, and the sense of immersion, whether it is natural or man-made, all of these elements combine to make this journey from the lowlands of Asia, all the way up the highlands of the Himalayas a genuinely exciting experience. I can only imagine how fantastic this section would look in the wintertime…

Owen Sea Lion Shores – The Zoo’s newest exhibit complex (opened about two weeks ago!), and just a slice of what will eventually be part of “Pacific Northwest.” This 1.5-acre section took over what was once “Durhams Bear Canyon,” previously the home of various species of bears, before a colony of California sea lions moved in. Although a little smaller than I imagined, this pinniped section has an overall great execution, from the educational displays to the realistic feel of being on the west coast. The informative signage covers a lot of topics, from sea lion lifestyles, to water conservation both in the field and right in the state of Nebraska, to pollution and debris that is harming the Pacific’s fragile ecosystems. Several components combine to make this shore excursion feel like an authentic and entertaining experience, including an amphitheater where I’m sure behavior demos and/or feedings will take place; a big sand play area for children to dig around in search of miniature sea creatures; a narrow, declining trail with plant-dotted cliffs that tower overhead; the sounds of the sea playing in the background from the cries of seagulls, to the barking choir of sea lions; and a plethora of viewing opportunities, such as the large above-water views on the shore, and the colossal finale underwater window to watch the sea lions acrobatically flip, dive, and dart through the water. The sea lion habitat itself is high quality, with a few areas for the animals to haul their bodies out of the water to sunbath, and highly authentic rockwork adorned with sea stars and moss as a very nice touch. The large body of water not only offers plenty of swimming space, but it actually simulates large waves, leading to a series of crashes against the shores and seaside cliffs. The cherry on top is found next to the amphitheater: a pupping beach. This is a small cove where young pups can practice their swimming skills, under the watchful eye of their mothers. It’s something common in the wild, but the Zoo considers this to be the first of its kind in the zoo world; another fine example of how Omaha continuously tries to up the game in exhibitry. Overall, this is a great first step for what will hopefully be the Zoo’s next major geographical exhibit complex.

HIGHLIGHT OF THE DAY: With the intriguing takin and goral navigating their rocky landscape, and getting some phenomenal views of the impala and kudu through the tall grass (with some great photos to boot), it was an excellent day for viewing active hoofstock. :) However, there was one event that stood out among the rest – a pair of bongo was in a sparring match almost the entire time I was at their exhibit. With horns clashing and each animal trying to position itself on the little hill for the advantage, it made for an intense face-off. There was a brief moment of truce, but that didn’t last long before one bongo reignited the match. This was the most active I’ve ever seen bongo, as this is normally a rather calm antelope from what I’ve seen.

JVM, Jambo, Kifaru Bwana and 14 others like this.
  2. MGolka

MGolka Well-Known Member

This is a great read and it’s always nice to see what people say that don’t frequent the Omaha Zoo as much as those of us on here. Looking forward to part 2!

Also, to answer one of your questions, the White Rhino area has been sectioned off since the opening of African Grasslands. There are two white rhino, the other was back near the rhino barn (visible from Skyfari). They are sometimes on exhibit together.

I was at a professional luncheon one that Zoo Director Dr. Pate was presenting on the master plan back when African Grasslands was opening and the question of why the rhinos were separated was due to getting the giraffes acclimated to them. He said all of those giraffes were bred in captivity and haven’t seen a rhino before and were pretty scared of them, as giraffes are of most things they’ve not used to. It seems like getting them able to cohabitate without a fence between them is taking longer than they thought.

3. twilighter

twilighter Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thank you for walking us around this extraordinary place @Milwaukee Man ! Looking forward to the next part of your review :)

4. Milwaukee Man

I appreciate the replies!

@MGolka Very interesting regarding the giraffe/rhino adjustment. Giraffes can certainly be very skittish, but one would've thought that after a few years they'd be a bit calmer. Wonder if any new additions, like the kudu or other animal births, take priority over the rhinos in terms of adjustment as well.

I'm still chugging away on Part 2, but will hopefully have it set by the end of the week or early next week. Until then, enjoy my photos from Part 1!

StoppableSan and MGolka like this.
  5. Milwaukee Man

At long last, here is Part 2 of my adventure in Omaha! So far, Henry Doorly has made a powerful impression with its superb outdoor exhibits, all of which are the most recent developments at the Zoo. Now, we're going to journey through the doors into the destinations that made this Nebraska attraction so well known...

Part 2: It’s What’s on the Inside That Counts

Desert Dome – Not only is this the largest indoor desert in the world, but this 2002 building is the biggest geodesic dome on Earth as well. An open rotunda greets visitors, serving as an introduction to the deserts of the world, such as detailing the various types that can be found on different continents. After this interesting set-up, the first taste of this “hotspot” is a tower of sand dunes, dotted with dry shrubs and plants; this is the first look at the very first desert environment in the Dome - the Namib. It does not take long before the first look at desert life is found – in a cave opening with a couple branches resides a pair of African wild cats (a first for me). Although this exhibit was on the small side and could use more natural features, it was a treat to see a feline seen so seldom in captivity. Winding past the dunes, the trail next ducks into a canyon out of the beaming sun, but not before viewing exhibits for blue-bellied roller and blacksmith plovers. A klipspringer is the first to be seen in the canyon, on a rocky ridge that differs vastly from the kopje habitat seen in African Grasslands the previous day, while a variety of turtles can be found swimming in a water moat below, and a bat-eared fox stares from the shadows of its tiny cave-mouth exhibit. Canyon walls rise all around, as the landscape takes the form of a gorge, dwarfing its inhabitants and visitors below. A pool for various waterfowl such as teals and yellow-billed ducks takes up most of this gorge, featuring birds flapping around and frequently diving in and out of the water. This flurry of activity is matched by a large pack of dwarf mongoose, which have an equally large habitat fronted by a stream, with its dominating feature being the varying levels of rockwork. Africa’s smallest predators also have different-sized logs to scurry around on; I spent a good amount of time watching the dynamic behaviors of these carnivores, making this one of the highlights of Desert Dome. Then, an opening in the canyon wall becomes visible, with its shady relief beckoning one away from the desert heat. Life in these dry environments, though, is just as bountiful in the caves as it is out in the sand. Cold-blooded denizens are the dominant species, residing in terrariums that differ in size and height, but the natural elements and details within make them stand out. Some of the noteworthy species include red-billed hornbill (the only birds in this area), puff adder, black mamba, giant plated lizard, and several other species of snake.

This cave setting is also where the second featured environment, Australia’s Red Center, begins. Various reptiles such as king brown snake, woma python, lace monitor, and many more lurk amongst the rocks, all cumulating with a massive area for a single Perentie monitor. Bright natural light calls from around the corner, and upon rounding the last cave wall, the astonishing sound of a waterfall welcomes one to a tranquil setting. This is an oasis of eucalyptus trees and feathered citizens from down under – specifically a mid-sized aviary for kookaburra, tawny frogmouth, and masked lapwing; I believe I recall seeing cape thick-knees in this area as well. A couple more mesh-fronted terrariums for Cunningham’s skink and spiny-tailed skink are the last animals of Australia to be found before passing through another cliff opening. The final area brings one in the middle of the Sonoran. The first impression is a marvelous sight with javelinas trotting around a water moat-fronted rocky enclosure, and a narrow branch-filled ridge for ocelots looking down upon the swine. Both enclosures, however, are on the small side for the species, with the ocelot exhibit also in need of improved viewing. After passing by some burrowing owls, gazing curiously from their decent-sized exhibit, the landscape opens up once more, exposing cacti in different stages of life and form, whether they are the towering Saguaros, or those that one must side-step to avoid prickly punishment off the beaten path. But cacti are not the only living things one must watch for in this part of the desert; bobcats (not seen) inhabit a cave-mouth exhibit that has several rocky crags, but little in the way of space and naturalistic features. Just ahead, past another mid-sized aviary with burrowing owls, quails, and roadrunner, lies another canyon with life hidden amongst the rock crevices, this time with more of a “bite.” This is “Rattlesnake Canyon,” home to some of the most dangerous herps in the Southwest U.S. The reptiles are housed in much larger, more varied, and sometimes mixed-species habitats than those in the caves, with the standout being the largest and greatest rattlesnake habitat I’ve ever seen. Tons of western diamondback rattlers have seemingly infested the entrance to an abandoned mine, taking shelter amongst the tracks, mine cart, scattered manmade belongings, along with the surrounding natural landscape. Other featured species consist of Baja blue rock lizard, chuckwalla, and Mexican spiny-tailed iguana, among others. Exiting the canyon takes one past a small alcove for Sonoran desert turtle and Mexican spiny-tailed iguana, before coming across two meat-eating animals: turkey vultures in an interesting habitat mostly consisting of an artificial rock slope, and another cave-opening exhibit that features minimal details for swift foxes (didn’t see). The little canines set the tone for one final reptile cave, this time starring various venomous species from America, such as beaded lizard, sidewinder, and many rattlesnakes including the Arizona black. The finale of Desert Dome is, in my opinion, the strongest of the mammal habitats to be found here; a decent-sized and detailed coati habitat allows for the unique mammals to clamber up and down the rocks and weave between the straggly dry plants. Soon after, the trail dips beneath the rocks and foliage, and out of the scorching sun, concluding this arid adventure. There are some habitats for mammals that would benefit from modifications (javelinas and felines to name a few), however these are vastly overshadowed by excellent reptile and bird displays (which also include several free-flying species like hooded oriole, white-winged dove, speckled mousebird, chestnut weaver, star finch, etc.) and a breathtaking attention to detail, all equaling a fabulous and immersive desert experience.

Kingdoms of the Night – I got incredibly lucky with being able to see this complex because it reopened the exact same time I was visiting. It’s definitely a good thing too because from what I saw, I was absolutely blown away! :) Located beneath the Desert Dome, this is the largest nocturnal house on the planet, and it opened in 2003. After descending a staircase and being plunged into darkness, a small area called the “Exploration Cave” greets visitors. This is a cave setting with signage introducing one to adaptations in the dark, encouraging the use of other senses. The first animal encountered is a colony of naked mole rats, and they have a labyrinth of tunnels to scurry through. Just ahead is a pair of fossa habitats, with one animal in each, that are quite big and full of artificial branches to climb around on, followed by a mixed-species exhibit for springhaas and greater bushbaby (another first) that is average in size, and a few nice terrariums set within the cave walls (species include a couple types of boa and amphibians). Around the corner is an African mixed-species exhibit with an awesome animal line-up: aardvark, potto, brushtail porcupine (another first), springhaas, greater bushbaby, and sloth (residing here until old enough for breeding). A massive baobab tree set partly within the exhibit allows for curious explorers to get some cool up-close views of the interesting animals. Then, comes the first of three sections of this complex that left me awe-struck with how authentic and brilliantly set up everything is. There is a huge cavern with several stalagmites and stalactites, a couple of pitch-black pools that seem like endless pits, a waterfall, and, of course, a few animal exhibits. These consist of a blind cavefish tank that is gargantuan for the tiny fish, a banded knob-tailed gecko terrarium, and the main attraction of this section is a lair for seemingly hundreds of fruit bats (I believe they were short-tailed). An exhibit for South American nightlife is next, home to agouti, prehensile-tailed porcupine, douroucouli, and three species of armadillo (three-banded, hairy screaming, and nine-banded). This mix worked very nicely as the ground featured armadillos scurrying around, while the monkeys were climbing up above – a good balance of active animals to be found. Then the focus turns to animals of Australia; one side of the curving hallway has tammar wallabies and echidnas (didn’t see) together – it was spacious for the monotremes, but on the small side for the marsupials. The other side contains reptiles, specifically Johnson’s crocodile and four different Australian turtles, with a big, deep pool. Immediately after, the adventure reaches a climax, in which one finds themselves in the very center of a tall cavern, with glimmers of light shining down from the Desert Dome. Never have I been so mind-blown by this level of detail and immersion. Bats are the focus of this stellar section, with a wide variety of species like vampire, Indian fruit, and great bulldog. Last, but absolutely not least, the never-ending chirping of crickets invites one into “The Swamp.” At about ¼-acre in size, this is the largest indoor swamp to be found on Earth. It begins in a small shack that contains terrariums for tiny mice and reptiles, before taking the brave first steps onto a pitch-black dock. With the mysterious sights and sounds of the wetlands, and shadowy décor to add to the atmosphere, there’s no denying that this is the closest one could be to an actual swamp in the south. American alligators gliding silently through the water; beavers in various stages of activity; large fish sitting idly just below the surface; bullfrogs and turtles ducking in and out of a forest of lily pads; Indigo snakes coiled up in a large-sized terrarium; and spectacled caimans lurking in a cave pool. These are just some of the many experiences that can be found in this brilliantly designed area. The final exhibit in this area houses an American crocodile alongside some turtles in a good-sized area with underwater viewing, and before long, I was pushed back into the daylight. Out of the Zoo’s mega buildings, this was the one that stood head and shoulders above them all.

Lied Jungle – Note that the ground-level trail was still closed off during my visit (though I spied a shallow ocellate river stingray pool from above at one point), so this analysis will only be covering the canopy trail. After walking past some educational signage pertaining to the world’s rainforests, followed by a display that seems to resemble a research camp, exotic sounds and light calls from a world that seems as if it was once lost, and recently rediscovered. The first impression is truly a sight to behold, with a seemingly endless sea of lush and humid greenery, vines draped within one’s reach, and winged denizens piercing through the air. Surprisingly, these creatures do not just consist of birds (such as various types of waterfowl and tree-dwelling birds); lingering amongst the rocky crevices were several fruit bats, with several roost mates coming and going as I watched on. With the additional excellent habitats over in Kingdoms of the Night, Omaha definitely seems to shine when it comes to bats. Moving on to the jungle trail itself, three different continent ecosystems are in the spotlight here, very similar to the set-up at Desert Dome. In this case, it is the continent of “Asia” that introduces one to the world of jungles. Although there is a small white-crested laughing thrush aviary that is the first exhibit to be seen, it is a small island that draws the most attention to kick off this complex. White-handed gibbons reside amongst the branches, while Asian small-clawed otters frolic and splash in the water moat below; despite not seeing either species in here, I can see this serving as a great start with an active pair of mammals on display together. The lesser apes, however, may also be found on an island on the other side of the trail. Unlike the vegetation of the first habitat, this one emphasizes climbing opportunities, and a little more space for the ground dwellers. A white-handed gibbon was near the top of a tree, an Indian crested porcupine was trotting around the logs and dirt, and there was even a lizard species (it looked like a type of sailfin dragon from my view) warming up underneath a heat lamp. Past a waterfall is a cave that can be entered either from the main trail or a soaked bridge (closed off during my visit). A few lush and good-sized terrariums for herps such as quince monitor and blood python are viewed here, however the main attraction is a small, rocky exhibit for a single Eurasian eagle owl that is mostly dark, but has a scenic view into the jungle outside the cave. Slivers in the cave throughout also allow for not only additional looks into the exhibit complex, but also the possibility of bats to hang out quite close to curious, and sometimes nervous, explorers. Upon reentering the rainforest another mixed-species exhibit serves as the final stop of “Asia” – this time containing a troop of Francois’ langurs (including a couple babies) and Malayan tapirs. A frequent observation of this section I’ve heard is that the space could be larger for the tapirs; while I would agree with this, the space is actually a bit more than I anticipated. There is a variety of terrain with a few surviving plants, the langurs leaping from tree to tree must certainly add a dose of energy when the tapirs are dozing, and the water moat looks quite spacious (though would benefit from being downsized in favor of more land) and refreshing for the large mammals – I even noticed a small underwater viewing window amongst the water bank.

Africa’s “Congo” is up next, and it begins with a very similar set-up to the previous habitat. Two monkey species, de Brazza’s and Diana, share an average-sized island with an array of vines and vegetation. Peeking through the greenery, however, there is another large resident that lumbers amongst the non-stop antics of the primates. A single pygmy hippo makes its home here too, and was found lounging in a mud hole. It’s always cool to see a mixed-species habitat such as this, but the space seemed rather busy and on the small side for the hippo. The latter also applies to the next-door enclosure that is dedicated to pygmy hippo, particularly the land area. Life in the African jungles was also found across the pathway amongst a lush canyon; these habitats are all well designed for their occupants from the abundance of substrate on the ground, to the lush plants that adorn their personal oases. The species housed consist of Wolf’s guenon, giant elephant shrew, and spot-necked otter, along with several cold-blooded animals residing in humid terrariums. Lastly, the “Amazon” is a home to South American wildlife of several types. Yet another mixed-species island starts off this section; in this case, another Malayan tapir (it formerly contained Baird’s tapir) was hanging out on the rocky forest floor, and a family of black howler monkeys was resting on the branches far above – and at eye-level with guests. Of the two tapir exhibits in this complex, this is the less successful due to the smaller size and minimal naturalistic features; giant river otters would probably be a stronger alternative to the ungulates. Pushing through the many plants that seem to fan out over the trail, a large and great primate island shared by squirrel monkeys and red-backed bearded sakis (nice to see this rare monkey again after DWA by the way :D) emerges into view. There is a lot of space to be had here, and the climbing opportunities are abundant for the active creatures. Furthermore, the water moat is teaming with river life including redtail catfish and massive arapaima. The other animal exhibits in the “Amazon” include a blue-and-yellow macaw playground of branches in front of the monkeys, and a variety of herp terrariums that contain mostly several types of dart frogs, completing Omaha’s take on a jungle excursion. Despite not seeing this complex at its fullest potential, it is still obvious that this is a superb indoor rainforest on the whole, and without a doubt the strongest I’ve seen.

Suzanne and Walter Scott Aquarium – An aquatic building that originally opened in 1995, and has since been renovated in 2012 and early 2020. A dark hallway with a giant squid model hanging overhead leads the way towards a touch pool (closed at the time), along with the first tank for barred flagtail and African moony. With a curving glass wall and blue background, it serves as a nice introduction to the world of aquatics. The first section of the Aquarium calls, first drawing guests into the more frigid waters. “Ocean Birds” are the first to be encountered, specifically several common murres and tufted puffins splashing around in their deep pool or hopping up and down their coastal cliffs. Around the corner is a flock of superstar birds that is one of the biggest draws of the complex; a large Antarctic penguin habitat teaming with four species (king – including a chick, Gentoo, rockhopper, and macaroni) that stands as one of the strongest Antarctic exhibits I’ve seen. From the expansive glass views, one of which is a bubble window, to the amount of space both above and below the water’s surface, to the excellent design to resemble a variety of environments found at the bottom of the world, this is a very well executed habitat for penguins. I’ve also heard there is even snow that occasionally falls from the ceiling; this didn’t happen on my visit, but I can only imagine the extra sense of immersion and enrichment the birds must experience. Then there are a trio of good-sized tanks for a variety of fish (such as garibaldi) and Japanese spider crabs, the latter of which is in a darkened environment featuring several of the crustaceans floating about or scuttling along the sea floor. “Tropical Beaches” welcomes one to aquatic biomes in the warmer regions, starting with a really impressive mangrove habitat, complete with the occasional tidal wave surge. Several smaller tanks for little invertebrate and fish species are found across the hall – surely a delight for smaller visitors. However, the pinnacle of the Aquarium is just ahead. Diving beneath the waves, “Shark Reef” brings the sea’s most iconic species face-to-face with guests in a superb underwater tunnel that seemingly blends into the mysterious depths. Gliding effortlessly over the tunnel and weaving in and out of coral reefs are several sandbar sharks, zebra sharks, green sea turtle, wobbegong, goliath grouper, Southern stingrays, and an assortment of other fish. The massive tank is fantastic with a portion focusing on the reefs and oceanic rocks, and becoming more of an open ocean as the tank progresses. Moving along to the next gallery, jellyfish are found drifting through the blue abyss in a show of slow yet elegant grace. The one stand out species (along with others like moon jellyfish, upside-down jellyfish, and South American sea nettles) here was the West African sea nettle (another first), a species that Omaha proudly states to be the first to display. Numerous other tanks dedicated to Earth’s tropical reefs are encountered here as well. They are all very colorful, highly naturalistic, fairly spacious, and packed with engaging animals; some of which include bonnet head sharks, cow-nosed rays, several types of eels (honeycomb, undulated, green moray, purple mouth, garden), blue tang, yellow tang, seahorses, and angelfish. The Aquarium’s final feature is a lush, excellent Amazon habitat with toco toucans flying amongst their miniature canopy, and pacu, flagfish, arowana, red-bellied piranha, armored catfish, and more swim among the sunken tree trunks and tangles of branches.

Hubbard Orangutan Forest – There are two parts to this 2005 complex, which was interesting, as it seemed like two completely different sections. Up first is a boardwalk that takes one past two mesh habitats; while these are a bit small in terms of land area, they are grassy and offer a good amount of climbing space and height (though not quite as high as I anticipated). These both contain the namesake orangutans, however each exhibit contains a different species to coexist with: one has siamangs, and the other Francois’ langur, neither of which were to be seen. While the outdoor area was decent, the interior far below the hill is what helps this section stand out for me. The first indoor enclosure is huge, and greatly designed with artificial rock, climbing ropes, and what seems like flexibility to mix a variety of primates. On my visit, it was a family of siamangs that was occupying the space; I imagine the red apes are a major hit in this exhibit during inclement weather. Down the hallway are two smaller rooms dedicated to orangutans, both of which are a nice height and come with a large artificial tree, and each containing one male at the time (see more in my HIGHLIGHT OF THE DAY section). The only other animal exhibit featured here is a nice, good-sized terrarium for Gray’s monitor. Mention must also go to the educational features in this complex; large posters throughout are dedicated to palm oil conservation, the brutality of the orang pet trade, differences between the Bornean and Sumatran subspecies, and even a former male orangutan resident who was well known for his escapes in the 1960’s. These were very large, prominent, and informative, and helped enhance an ape complex that was not spectacular, but overall decent and worthwhile.

Hubbard Gorilla Valley – A long corridor shows the way for those who wish to see the world’s largest primates. I’ll admit, the design and set-up is a bit odd in concept, but in execution, it works fairly well thanks to the fascinating viewing options and overall decent quality ape exhibits. There are two outdoor habitats for lowland gorillas, with one being a more narrow and average-sized enclosure, but still has a variety in terrain, and is fairly lush. A trio of bachelors was patrolling and relaxing in this exhibit. Across the hall is another ape enclosure – this one being smaller and rockier. However, there are two unique viewing sections found here: one being a couple of pop-up bubbles, and another being an overhead passage, which one gorilla utilized as I was passing through. Moments of creativity like this can sometimes help give an exhibit a little boost! Lastly, the good-sized family troop (including a couple youngsters) was in a very nice indoor enclosure, complete with artificial rock, numerous climbing opportunities, and even mulch covering a good portion of the ground. The large primates could be viewed through expansive viewing windows that sometimes curve around the visitor hall, along with another pop-up bubble, which one of the young apes took joy in beating with its hands while I gazed back up at the little guy. :) Other exhibits in this complex (which opened in 2004) include a mid-sized exhibit with a mix of rock and grass shared by birds (Abyssinian ground hornbill, crowned crane, etc.) and yellow-backed duiker (didn’t see); a mock-rock exhibit for bush hyrax (another first) and Angolan colobus monkeys (didn’t see); and a tiny, all-indoor room with minimal details for eastern colobus.

Other Exhibits – Before heading into African Grasslands, there is a pair of shady habitats for okapi, a yellow-backed duiker, and Abyssinian ground hornbills (didn’t see) that are both average in size, but offer close-up viewing of these secretive creatures. Also, various types of macaws and parrots can be found on perches in the gorgeous “Garden of the Senses.” Lastly, situated in a lake placed in the middle of African Grasslands, a troop of spider monkeys have a large island with numerous climbing opportunities (including a massive artificial tree), while several koi can be seen swimming close by.

NOTE – Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, this meant that several interactive elements and areas described before such as the giraffe feeding area and the walkthrough lemur habitat were closed off, along with exhibit complexes with smaller visitor spaces like the Butterfly & Insect Pavilion.

Visitor Experiences

The layout of the Zoo is easy to navigate because it is based mostly around a loop, with animal exhibits that are either part of the main path or branch out and return to the walkway. Omaha very cleverly sets up some of its most significant attractions towards the front of the Zoo. First, the many indoor powerhouse exhibits are found near the main entrance, which while crowded, is an excellent idea during the cold winter months. One could enjoy being in the middle of a dry desert, a humid jungle, etc. for part of the day, and either leave satisfied right then and there, or brave the cold and see some animals in their indoor settings (like the apes, elephants, and giraffes), or make their own “Himalayan trek” to see Asian Highlands. Also, almost the entirety of the Zoo’s kid amenities are situated in one corner of the establishment; this is courtesy of the “Glacier Bay Landing” pavilion that serves all sorts of snacks and a solid rest stop – and likely the main plaza of the upcoming “Pacific Northwest” complex. The grounds themselves are primarily based around a forested hill that the Zoo’s front entrance area stands upon. One must wind down the hill in order to see the rest of the facility, which for the most part is on flat open ground with surrounding woodlands and hills. The only exception is found near the spider monkeys, and that is the fabulous “Garden of the Senses,” a massive oasis of exotic bird perches, memorial statues and paths, a cool Columbian mammoth sculpture (with signage that ties in very nicely with the nearby African elephants), and very pretty plant life.

As it is a large zoological facility, the amenities are plentiful at Henry Doorly. The majority of the Zoo’s eateries, play areas, gift shops, etc. are towards the front gate – which is a large, open-air plaza that looks well prepared to accommodate its wide audience. To begin, near the main “South Entrance,” are three eateries (one in Lied Jungle, another outside of the Scott Aquarium, and the third a concession stand in the big screen theater); two gift shops (one of which is at the end of Scott Aquarium); statues that make for great photo-ops; and lots of space for groups to congregate. “Glacier Bay Landing” down the hill consists of a snack shop, a carousel, and the “Alaskan Adventure” splash park that looks really cool with its several animal sculptures. Other noteworthy areas include the Tusker Grill and fossil cave area in African Grasslands, the “Yeti Camp” and “Foggy Forest” sections in Asian Highlands, and an elevator that conveniently transports exhausted guests from the top of the Zoo to the great ape areas below. One final note worth taking here is that there is the smaller “North Entrance,” which is not only further down the hill, but also almost adjacent to “Glacier Bay Landing” – very smart move for families! Additional attractions found at the Zoo include a train ride that loops most the property, a big screen theater that plays short films next to Desert Dome, the Skyfari sky ride that glides over the African Grasslands (only one of the two stations is opened), the “Holland Meadowlark Theater” where I imagine animal ambassador and bird shows take place, and a tram that takes weary explorers from one station to the next all around the Zoo. Another primary concession area near Asian Highlands or Expedition Madagascar would be nice to see on account of the hike to either major area in both directions, but aside from that the Zoo has a magnificent assortment of opportunities for guests.

HIGHLIGHT OF THE DAY: With so many unbelievable indoor complexes to take in, it was very hard to figure out what was the best part of my second day of experiencing Omaha’s great zoo. So – how about two? First, in terms of animal exhibit complexes, being able to see Kingdoms of the Night by the skin on my teeth truly was a great treasure. I already talked about it early in this part of the review, but I couldn’t help but be so awe-struck when walking through this dark labyrinth. The bat cave and swamp areas in particular are something that are very hard to replicate elsewhere. In terms of animals on display, that would have to go to my time in Orangutan Forest. The two males in adjacent indoor rooms were playing tug-of-war with an enrichment blanket. At times the two red apes would heave-and-ho with the blanket, but then there were moments where one would fake losing interest, or sneak back into battle with another tool for assistance! Orangs are sometimes considered the most observant, insightful, and/or patient of the great apes – this was a great show of such behavior in action!

OVERALL: Reflecting on my experiences over the last two days, Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium gave me a rather different feeling compared to other zoos I had been to. Similar to when the elusive okapi was discovered, I felt like I came across something truly extraordinary. From the astonishing collection of wildlife; to the top-notch quality of the exhibit complexes, some of which are easily amongst, if not the best of their kind; to the numerous ways it caters to guests; to the strong sense of education and conservation - this is a zoological facility that leaves nothing behind. These traits help Omaha stand out from the crowd in a way almost no other can, truly earning its legendary status. Not only does this make Henry Doorly a must-see destination for anyone out there, but it has proudly earned the title as my current all-time favorite zoo. :D

The Zoo is currently embarking on an ambitious master plan that has, and continues to transform the majority of the establishment. African Grasslands, Asian Highlands, and Owen Sea Lion Shores were part of this plan, and up next is a revitalization of the central part of the property, including an Event Center, a new stingray experience, and a renovation to the colossal Simmons Aviary – all planned for a Spring 2021 opening. Further down the road, I’ve heard plans for Equatorial Africa; the sea lions will be joined by bears (both polar and brown), sea otters, and more to complete the “Pacific Northwest” complex; and a South American complex is being considered for the next expansion plan.

6. MGolka

MGolka Well-Known Member

Well done @Milwaukee Man! Glad you posted your much anticipated second part. I agree with your assessment on a concession area near the Asian Highlands entrance/Aviary/Madagascar/Gorilla Valley needs to be added. There was a concession area that was located between the Gorilla Valley and Sea Lion Cove area, but that was recently closed and removed to construct the night quarters for the sea lions. In addition to that concession that was removed, the former sea lion pool had one as well that was removed when the bongo night quarters was constructed.

Milwaukee Man and StoppableSan like this.
  7. geomorph

geomorph Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Thank you so much for your review, it was a joy to read and reminded me that I need to return there!

MGolka and Milwaukee Man like this.
  8. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Thanks for the review! It was probably fun to write about your "all-time favorite zoo". I agree that Omaha is spectacular and it is one of the best zoos I've ever visited.

9. Milwaukee Man

Thank you all for the replies!

@MGolka Nice to hear we agree on the additional concession area. Although the plans didn't seem to indicate it for the 2021 Central Zoo plans, I wouldn't be surprised if something was eventually added in (even if it was something small), especially with the Stingray Experience being an eventual hotspot.

@snowleopard Yes - I had an absolute blast! Since it did become my new favorite, and the fact that it is one of the world's most famous, I wanted to try and make it special, and try to give a more "immersive" feel to the writing. :)

snowleopard, MGolka and StoppableSan like this.
  10. Milwaukee Man

Photos from Day 2 (and a few from Day 1 I was initially having issues with) are now in the gallery. Enjoy this little Christmas treat, and hope everyone had a happy holiday! :)

twilighter and StoppableSan like this.