Join our zoo community

Reid Park Zoo Expedition Tanzania

Discussion in 'United States' started by Arizona Docent, 27 Oct 2010.

1. gerenuk

gerenuk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Amazing that I am an active docent and I have to learn about my own zoo from ZooChat! I guess the official opening will be March 23, which is news to me (although I knew it would be sometime in late March).

3. Arizona Docent

4. gorgeousingray

gorgeousingray Well-Known Member

So excited to see this breeding herd develop as it's own entity. Any inclination as to who the other cow will be?
    It's either going to be Ndulamitsi or Listemba...

I would think SDSP would want to keep Ndula (because Vus Musi is so genetically valuable and can be bred with Khosi and Phakamille).

5. kelvin

kelvin Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I agree also. One of the recent news reports said that a female with a 5 year old and 1 year old male calves would be moving in mid-March. This suggests Listemba with 5 year old Impunga and 1 year old Tsandzikle.

6. Arizona Docent

The zoo website has removed the March 25 date and now says the exhibit will open very soon - stay tuned for an exact date. I do know there is a donor special preview (by invitation only) from 4-6pm on Saturday, March 24 (the zoo closes to the public at 4pm daily). So I cannot imagine they would let regular members see the exhibit before that (let alone the general public). I am sure a new official opening date will be posted very soon.

7. azcheetah2

azcheetah2 Well-Known Member

The others won't be moving until mid-March? With the public opening slated for March 25th, is there a place on the zoo grounds that can house the trio in quarrantine without the public being able to see them until the 30 days is up? I wonder why they chose to move Mabu and Lungile in time to go through quarrantine and have the opening in late March, but wait several weeks to move the other 3.

8. Upali

Upali Well-Known Member

I would have thought it would have been soonish as ive been watching the San Diego elephant cam and Litsemba and her sons are seperated in the old asian yard while the rest and the bull in the other yard. Also apparently Connie and Shaba have left Reid Park this morning.

9. Arizona Docent

Since the exhibit is brand new and it is an existing herd coming from the same locale, there is no need to have them off-exhibit for a quarantine period. Essentially their 30 day quarantine is in the new exhibit (which from the public's point of view is irrelevant).

10. Arizona Docent

OK, the zoo website now has the newly revised (and official) opening dates. Members only will be admitted to the new area during regular zoo hours from Sunday, March 25 through Tuesday, March 27. The exhibit will open to the general public beginning Wednesday, March 28.

Expedition Tanzania Members Preview - Reid Park Zoo, Tucson, AZ

11. gorgeousingray

A theory I have in the delay of Listemba's family unit's arrival is.... they're trying to breed her with Msholo before she arrives at RPZ. Since she's already had two calves with Mabu as the sire.

Or it's just taking longer to crate train her offspring.
    (Probably the latter) :D

12. Arizona Docent

Or it is too hard or risky to transport five elephants at once.

13. gorgeousingray

Connie and shaba left the zoo today.(information from the zoo's facebook)

14. Arizona Docent

Connie and Shaba are now safely inside their new home at the San Diego Zoo. Here is a nice video of their departure that Reid Park Zoo just posted.

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Jul 2017
  15. Upali

Upali Well-Known Member

It seems Litsemba and sons are being transfered at the moment. I was watching the webcam earlier and Impunga was in the crate visable surrounded by keepers, now the crate has gone and there are some trucks and a big crane behind the exhibit. Sorry if this is not correct as its not the best view, the cam is mostly focused on Musi trying the mate Khosi!!

16. Arizona Docent

It may or may not be correct (I honestly do not know), but it is not the best thing to post that publicly. The reason they do not even tell us docents when the move will take place is there are anti-zoo elements who might try to disrupt the trucks en route. Please keep this in mind for any future postings.

(I am sure you did not know about this or just did not think of it, so I am not upset, just something to keep in mind next time a situation like this arises in the zoo world.)

17. Upali

Upali Well-Known Member

Apologies i understand. I also understand zoo publicity as i worked as a keeper in a british zoo until 6 months ago. I would just like to say this opinion/info which was formed after viewing a public webcam on a public web page and obviously not kept so under wraps, therefore i think it was acceptable for me to relay what i see on the San Diego Zoo website. Cheers :)

18. Arizona Docent

19. Arizona Docent

20. Arizona Docent

In addition to the large main pool, there is a small mud wallow in the exhibit. The zoo has posted photos on the website of them enjoying it.

I have not seen the exhibit up close myself yet, but I look forward to getting photos like this. The docent preview is Saturday, March 24 after the zoo closes (member previews start the following day).

Mud Wallow Fun 3/14/12 - Reid Park Zoo, Tucson, AZ