Join our zoo community

Exporting native (Australian) wildlife

Discussion in 'Australia' started by ZooPro, 23 Jan 2007.

1. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

i saw saying if the reason we are not exporting native species to private individuals because of money they will all reach private individual in the end like the nicobar pigeons did in aust

2. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

i presume you mean..

"if the reason we are not exporting native species to private individuals overseas is because of money, then its stupid because its likely any of the birds we do export will end up in private hands anyway, just like the nicobar pigeons did in australia."

is that right? (i'm not having a dig here either mate)

but who said it had anything to do with money? and there is already a wealth of exotic australian birds and reptiles in private hands overseas.

Last edited: 5 Feb 2007
  3. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

yeah, thats what i meant, lol.

If its not about money, Why dont we allow the export of birds?

4. ZooPro

ZooPro Well-Known Member

Sorry, I'm getting a bit confused here (but it is late in the day :) ). We DO allow the export (overseas) of native birds, and DEH will issue export permits on a zoo to zoo basis, but they will not allow the export of birds to private individuals overseas.

The export of native birds (or any other native species for that matter) is not at all about money - in fact, it is illegal to sell native animals to overseas institutions. Costs associated with the export (vet checks, crates etc.) can be recouped, but native animals cannot be sold. It's more often about adding to, or starting breeding programs in other regions, or in exchange for animals that are imported into Australia.

Zoos in Australia can however, sell birds to private individuals within Australia, provided that the birds have been offered to other zoos first, and they are unable to be placed in zoos. A number of zoos will sell birds to private individuals, generally via their state avicultural society.

Does that make sense?

5. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

Yep, and i was aware about zoos 'selling' birds to private individuals or Trading as in my case, (Purple Crowned Lorikeets for Crimson Chats, with Adelaide)

6. Coquinguy

Coquinguy Well-Known Member

talking of birds, what about the flock of 18 whooper crances wiped out by the florida hurricane the other day. they are the americans i feel most for ;)