Join our zoo community

Extinct And Endangered

Discussion in 'Speculative Zoo Design and Planning' started by DragonDust101, 10 Sep 2016.

Tags:
  1. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I would choose American leopard American jaguar Madagascian hippo dinopethicus and giganthopethicus not sure I spelled the last 2 correct.

2. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Not. The suffix is -pithecus, that means monkey in Latin, and is also present in many extant genus. Also Madagascian is not correctly spelled (it's Madagascan, tough there were various species of hippos in Madagascar), and about the jaguar I don't know what are you referring to, since living jaguar is American...

3. Cyclone

I do apologize but I has seen a YouTube video last night and it was going through extinct cat species though u am not sure credible source thought I saw American jaguar be it species of North and south American and European if not the case then it be a substitute with the Caspian or Bali tiger

4. Cyclone

I correct my self on that it was the giant jaguar were I saw north American and south American

5. evilmonkey239

evilmonkey239 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

1. Stellar’s sea cow
    2) Giant sloth lemur
    3) Hispaniolan ground sloth
    4) Any species of elephant bird
    5) Tasmanian tiger

6. Daktari JG

Daktari JG Well-Known Member 10+ year member

will second the sea cow and tiger
    dodo
    great auk
    carolina parakeet

evilmonkey239 likes this.
  7. Anniella

Anniella Well-Known Member

As much as I would love to see dinosaurs or marine reptiles or pterosaurs or notosuchian crocodiles, they also all went extinct naturally, so I'm going to pick animals that either definitely or probably were killed off by humans. I'm also going to avoid species for which there is credible evidence in recent years and decades for their possible, although not confirmed, survival.

Pig-footed bandicoot.
    The Fijian mekosuchine crocodile Volia.
    Steller's sea cow.
    Elephant bird (any species).
    Meiolaniid turtles (New Caledonia's species).

I hate to limit it that much, but it is what it is. I could include thylacines, moas, koala lemurs, giant New Zealand geckos, adzebills, warrahs, and others, for instance.

evilmonkey239 likes this.