Join our zoo community

Monkey World Ape Rescue Centre Falling out of love with Monkey World

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by monkeyarmy, 26 Jul 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marmolady

marmolady Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Hasn't Monkey World been rescuing many more small monkeys recently than they have large apes?

Perhaps the focus has become tending to the many, many mouths they already have to feed rather than bringing more in. I believe they are not breeding orangutans or gibbons at the moment (probably because of a lack of space). I agree that breeding should not be a priority for a rescue centre while there are so many animals in need of an appropriate home.

2. Bele

Bele Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think that Monkey World have done a lot of good work over the years . I do not believe that they can be expected to rescue every primate in need of rehousing .

I find it interesting that they do not operate as a Charity , though they do have a couple of associated primate charities . This means it is not possible to easily view their Accounts - I could not see details of their Company number on their website and do not know what business name they trade under .

I believe that when they 'rescued' ex-laboratory macaques and capuchins they also received sufficient funds to build the housing for these animals . I see nothing wrong in this .

3. monkeyarmy

monkeyarmy Well-Known Member

I guess what's happened is I've held them on a pedestal, its like when you realise your partner is a bit annoying you don't stop loving them.

Absolutely labs should pay for the housing, they've made money due to t he primates its only right the should pay for their housing. The new marmoset house was funded by the RSPCA I belive, that makes me a bit uncomfortable seeing as the RSPCA is a charity.

I looked into Monkey World on companies house, ironically whilst defending it on a different thread on zoo chat, they qualify for some legislation that means they don't have to file full accounts with companies house. While browsing I clicked on one of the directors names which took me to another website and they perched a house for just under 1.5 million a few years ago so I don't think any of them are hard up

4. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Pretty sure the purpose-built housing for the ex Lab Stumptails was paid for by the laboratories. The Capuchins have largely replaced them in those enclosures as the Stumptailed groups diminished in size- I think there is only a single group of five or six of the latter now.

5. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

Yes I know the feeling. I was the first to reply to your thread, making constructive suggestions as to what you might do. But you appear to be much more interested in haughtily throwing stones than in building things.
    This has been evident in each of the threads you create or hijack.
    What a useless bore

6. monkeyarmy

Not really got time to work or volunteer for monkey world seeing as I have my own social enterprise focussed on ending the primate pet trade in the uk and building the business side so I can raise enough funds to open a sanctuary to rescue victims of the trade. But thanks for comments

7. Johnny Morris.

Johnny Morris. Well-Known Member

How would someone go about making a donation to your social enterprise? It sounds like a worthy cause, what's it called?

8. monkeyarmy

We're in the process of getting a website up and running where you will be able to donate through and gift aid your donation. You'll also be able to buy various products. All money goes towards our education and out reach work. I can inbox you the PayPal I use to raise money on eBay but if you'd rather wait for the website is up and running and have our CIC registration that's fine

9. stubeanz

stubeanz Well-Known Member

Don't feel uncomfortable, the RSPCA wastes plenty of millions each year faffing about with useless court cases, paying massive bonuses at the top and generally doing anything other than actually rescuing animals... to make matters worse people donate in their millions and put them in their wills out of sheer ignorance as to where the actual money goes.

If you want to support real animal welfare then go for the much smaller charities that don't have the giant marketing budgets.

10. garyjp

garyjp Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I thought you were going to volunteer for the place in Cornwall in October

11. Thaumatibis

Thaumatibis Well-Known Member

@ monkey army- what experience do you have with primates? How do you plan to operate this place? And if you're ever given a choice between saving one primate or another, what criteria would you use to choose which one to save?
    I hope you manage to build that sanctuary.

~ Thaumatibis

12. dean

dean Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Instead of banning the primate pet trade in the UK and not allowing people other than yourself to keep them. Why not try to change the law that makes owners more responsible and teach them about the care they need?

It is rather like saying some people abuse their children so you stop it by banning anyone from having children.

Have you ever thought if the trade is banned all the animals in private hands will go underground? Those kept out side in spaciouse enclosures by responsible owners will be moved out of sight indoors, and as they won't risk taking them to the vet the animals could end up suffering even more.

13. Thaumatibis

Thaumatibis Well-Known Member

Recently Mexico banned animals in circuses and many were abandoned or killed because no one could take them. Zoos don't stop caring for animals- they phase them out over time. Banning primates all of a sudden will result in many dead monkeys, I'm sure.

~ Thaumatibis

14. dublinlion

dublinlion Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Well said, some very good points.

15. monkeyarmy

Yes I am as part of a pre arranged deal.

16. monkeyarmy

17. monkeyarmy

Primates indoors and out door enclosures so any keeper keeping them soley out side, no matter how specious the enclosure, isn't meeting the needs of the animal

18. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Really, you know what they meant.....:rolleyes:

19. monkeyarmy

Did i? Nothing would suprise me on here and enclosures are just one of the many issues that make primates unsuitable pets

20. Lemurs

Lemurs Well-Known Member

I sort of know what you mean MonkeyArmy. I know that they do not struggle at all for money but have marketed themselves brilliantly, all they have to do is one little plea on Facebook and they make thousands.

However, it is still a great place and as an example of going out their way to save a primate, there was the slow loris last year who was going to be euthanised. The slow loris didn't even stay at Monkey World.

Therefore I think it's fair to have mixed feelings about MW, but as parks/zoos go they're still worthier than many or most.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.