Join our zoo community

Monkey World Ape Rescue Centre Falling out of love with Monkey World

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by monkeyarmy, 26 Jul 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. taun

taun Well-Known Member

How? They are about saving an individual the rest of the zoos are about saving species.

2. banham.tiger

banham.tiger Well-Known Member

Yes but monkey world are famous world wide due to the animals they have re housed such as the 88 Capuchin and a obese orangutan as well as monkey business and monkey life the TV shows. These are the main reasons why they are so popular.

3. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Yes and 2 some of us they are famous for the animals that they were offered but turned down,because there wasn't any money or publicity in it for them,which atleast makes the dump in South Wales a better place,as they took animals that Monkey World turned down!!!!!!!!!!

4. monkeyarmy

monkeyarmy Well-Known Member

I wondered when you'd pop up with the same anger. Monkey world wasn't founded to rehome chimps from British 'collections' who had bred irresponsibly or just didn't want the animals any more. Its a rescue sent not a dumping ground

5. Johnny Morris.

Johnny Morris. Well-Known Member

Didn't they have that Chimp from a British Circus?

Dumping ground? Those Chimps were in a Zoo that had closed and were to be shot.

6. monkeyarmy

Yes Trudi was rescued because Mary Chipperfield was filmed on several occasions beating and abusing trudi. So she was rescued because she was abused by a disgusting pathetic excuse for a human being not just because she was in a zoo

7. Lemurs

Lemurs Well-Known Member

Ha, how many zoos can you honestly say are there for the animals rather than people?

8. Devi

Devi Well-Known Member 10+ year member

This is not a thing.

You've got this one backwards. There are thousands of monkeys kept in private homes, yet only a few of them end up in rescue. The reason for this is that most keepers are very responsible people.
    In fact so responsible that it is now near impossible for some numpty to get any at all, most marmoset breeders keep their young until they have carried siblings and are reaching sexual maturity and will only allow them to go to an established group or as an unrelated pair to found a group.
    You see many people coming to exotic pet sites looking for a 'baby monkey' and they are quickly shot down.
    Many are much better than in zoos. Once you go further to the larger or rarer primates the hoops you are jumping through get even higher.

9. monkeyarmy

Sorry to disappoint but there is Children Act 2004

No you have it the wrong way round if and are nieve if you think it is hard to buy a marmoset or any other small monkey. I'm interested in what hoops you feel there are? The DWA is there mainly to protect humans with a small piece on welfare and certainly does not asses ability to care for a primate or any other animal. The DWA is also weak and not fit for purpose as standards etc vary council to council

10. monkeyarmy

Also being better than some zoos isn't that big of an achievement

11. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

"Falling Out Of Love With Monkey World" would make an awesome title for a country western song.

12. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

I realize that this is an old argument, but expecting a zoo to be "for the animals rather than for people" is like expecting the newspaper to be for wrapping fish rather than reading. Perhaps you are conflating animal rescue organizations with zoos? Zoos are, and always have been, for people. That is what they are created for: from LZS to WCS (and all the letters in between)

Last edited: 28 Jul 2015
  13. Thaumatibis

Thaumatibis Well-Known Member

You say it's better to save individuals than species? Let's see.
    The following is a list of species that would be extinct without zoos and their population numbers.
    California condor 425
    Whooping crane 437
    Black footed ferret 1,200
    Arabian oryx 7,000
    Kihansi spray toad Several thousand
    American bison 500,000
    And these are just a few, well-known conservation efforts. These animals wouldn't be here now if zoos saved individuals, not species.

~ Thaumatibis

Birdsage likes this.
  14. Devi

The spelling is 'Naive'. DWA does not apply to marmosets in any way so not sure what you're on about there.
    By all means, go try to buy one. Better yet try for a squirrel monkey, you will be in for a shock!

15. monkeyarmy

Who said it was better? It's up to the organisation to decide if they want to take a macro or micro stance

16. monkeyarmy

No you're right it doesn't and i never said it did. You said for bigger rarer species you have to jump through more hoops, I simply asked you what these were. The main one I'm aware of is the DWA but I await your response to what other hoops there are

I don't wish to buy a marmoset but have seen selling on fb groups and local pet shops. I have also heard time and time again from owners who were given poor advice by breeders. If everything was rosey in the primate pet trade there wouldn't be waiting lists at sanctuaries for marmosets that need rehoming.

17. Devi

The hoops as I explained in my first post are in obtaining the animal, those who have spent decades setting up a successful breeding program are not giving them away on street corners.
    The ones for sale on facebook are often scams, what local pet shops have you seen them in and what is their sale policy? The ones I know are incredibly strict.
    Equally, if you know of owners who are struggling to keep their primates why have you not reported these to the RSPCA?

18. taun

taun Well-Known Member

They are waiting so they can "rescue" them to have their own "pet" :rolleyes:

19. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Without people they would not exist, same with your beloved zoo Monkey World. :rolleyes:

20. Lemurs

Lemurs Well-Known Member

No, that'd be Howletts. Somewhere that has lots of off-show animals, releases many back into the wild and has a large project in Madagascar. That's the kind of zoo that is about 'saving species'.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.