Join our zoo community

Famous no-shows.

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by ralph, 4 Sep 2017.

1. Mehdi

Mehdi Well-Known Member 5+ year member

This sentence made me think Baby was dead, I had to check ztl and the Duisburg thread just to make sure he was still alive! :p

Crowthorne likes this.
  2. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I'm booked to visit Duisburg in the very near future. Anything that makes it sound like Baby is gone sets me panicking :eek:

FunkyGibbon, TeaLovingDave and Mehdi like this.
  3. PicanBird

PicanBird Well-Known Member

The squirrels are a no show for me in Burgers, however the Pallas Cat in blijdorp was very easily spotted at the back of his enclosure, chilling.
    The Montserrat Orioles are also commonly found near the adventure route!

4. Ggrarl

Ggrarl Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The T.rex and the Dilophosaurus on the tour near the beginning of the first Jurassic Park film ("So much for our first tour: two no-shows and one sick Triceratops.")...oh wait, you meant in real life. I'm gonna say the water opossum at the Dallas World Aquarium. I've never seen the critter, and frankly, I'll bet there isn't one, but they didn't bother to change the signs.

Canihelpyou?, JVM, Kakapo and 2 others like this.
  5. JVM

JVM Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Sorry for the scare, heh. I was mostly using it because I'd mentioned Harapan, who is no longer on display, combined with my feeling that I won't have the pleasure to see Baby any time in the near future. If I ever book an international zoo trip though, and he's there, it'll be Duisburg. No question in my mind.

Mehdi likes this.
  6. Emanuel Theodorus

Emanuel Theodorus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

At the time I visited Berlin Zoo, there's no Okapis and Bongos. Which is sad as this is would my first time seeing them in real life.

7. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I find no shows can sometimes become very common, I spent several years trying to see margay and rusty-spotted cat. Once I had seen them, Chester and Hamerton respectively, I now cannot fail to see them anywhere.

8. agnmeln

agnmeln Well-Known Member

I tend to sruggle a lot with fishing cats and giant anteaters generally - but it’s all about timing!

Last edited: 5 May 2018
  9. Canihelpyou?

Canihelpyou? Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The green iguanas in burgers zoo. Despite being a common animal, id still like to see them one day.

10. Azamat Shackleford

Azamat Shackleford Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I hate to bump (please let me know if this isn't allowed, but I didn't want to make a new thread), but Toledo's brown kiwis are notorious no-shows, maybe considering that they're nocturnal they probably wouldn't want to be out in the first place during the day

evilmonkey239 likes this.
  11. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The first time I went to Stuttgart Zoo, The Kiwi House had CCTV in the inside enclosure, so visitors could see it. Why don't other zoos use this technique?

Azamat Shackleford likes this.
  12. Azamat Shackleford

Azamat Shackleford Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I think just a nocturnal setting for a kiwi would work wonders. Maybe a nice nocturnal house exhibit or something

13. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

London Zoo's Moonlight World once had kiwis.

14. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They were certainly visible there - although the enclosure was far from ideal to my mind. Paignton does have CCTV on its kiwi's nestbox, but all you usually see is a blob of hairy feathers. I suppose there must have been a reason why they put Bruce the echidna into the large enclosure when they had renovated the Nocturnal House - but I don't know why they didn't put the kiwi there instead.

15. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I want to know if anyone ever manged to find Bronx's Ruddy-Breasted Seedeater. I know the keepers themselves sure had a hard job of it!

~Thylo

16. RatioTile

RatioTile Well-Known Member

Bat-Eared Fox, Harpy Eagle, and Jaguar when I went to Los Angeles Zoo in 2018.

17. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Columbus does this and the kiwi is quite active.

18. grevy's zebra

grevy's zebra Well-Known Member

For Maryland Zoo, it’s between blue duikers in an aviary, kirk’s Dik Dik, or the ravens, since it’s in Baltimore, and ravens.

19. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'm pretty sure that, like Aye-Aye, kiwis tend to breed more readily when kept in a normal say-night cycle, this being the reason zoos do it.

~Thylo

20. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

They rarely breed when on display (in nocturnal houses) because they get stressed by the noise and constant disturbance.They don't seem to be affected by daytime noise levels when kept in outside enclosures because they are "safe" when in their burrows or nest-boxes. In New Zealand almost all display birds are either young birds or adult birds not needed for breeding. Young birds make the best display birds because they don't get stressed to the same extent as adults, and when old enough get removed for breeding and replaced with different young birds.

The following is rarely an actual situation but in a nocturnal house where there is no real disturbance (e.g. not open to visitors, or where the visitors only enter as part of a guided group to keep the silence) then the kiwi will breed fine.

Just as an additional, kiwi are a lot more active in nocturnal houses when there are no visitors in there and - even more so - during power cuts when all those "night" lights go out and the interior becomes totally dark. For the kiwi, being kept in an outside enclosure is far preferable, but obviously from a visitor perspective this isn't usually a good option.