Join our zoo community

Fantasy Zoo coming to Greater Manchester

Discussion in 'Fantasy Zoos' started by poeticpenguin, 4 May 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poeticpenguin

poeticpenguin New Member

Hi all,

I am currently in discussion to bring a new type of Wildlife Park to Greater Manchester in the UK.

I have decided at the last minute to throw our hat in the ring on 'Pitch for Rich', which basically offers investment and support for the winners.

We now have 24 hours before the deadline and we have to be in the top 150 for number of votes to make the shortlist!

Nobody wants to see storage boxes winning again like last year, please, help this Wildlife Park win!

(link redacted)

VOTE for UKopia. It isn't a wasted vote, we need this to happen! Every single vote is critically important at this stage, please share with your friends too!!!

Any questions?

Last edited by a moderator: 4 May 2015
  2. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

I have a few questions.

Firstly, I am judging this to be real because it comes from a reputable company (Virgin Media) but what is to stop someone making a fake business, claiming the prize money for themselves and running?

Also, the idea of innovation. What exactly is completely new? There is already a British Wildlife Centre, many zoos have mixed exhibits or 'cageless' enclosures, conservation/education is (I could be wrong) a requirement of a zoo license etc. so I struggle to see anything completely unheard-of.

And finally, how far will 50K actually go? It certainly won't start a full zoo without further funding.

3. poeticpenguin

poeticpenguin New Member

Hi,

I'm glad you've asked some questions, the more coverage the better!

1. I assume (and I am assuming because I've not been through the process) that you'd need to have a pretty solid business plan to get through the final judging process, by which case, you'd be better off investing the money into the business. If there wasn't a strong business plan, they wouldn't invest the money into your business, so it's pretty likely to work and make a return. As it is also most likely that UKopia will be incorporated as a charitable organisation, it also wouldn't be possible to remove funds so easily.

2. For local species there are British Wildlife Centre, Wildwood Trust and New Forest, which are all based in the deep South (I actually visited Wildwood Trust last week). This would be a Northern first.
    Many zoos have mixed habitats, but not with the animals that I am proposing (with animal safety and welfare paramount of course), it is also fairly rare in this country, certainly within a natural setting.
    I have visited many zoos throughout Europe and only BioParc Valencia has come close to being truly 'cageless', what I am proposing is true 'immersion' - into the exhibit and blocked only by natural barriers, with genuine 360 degree views, you're in it - I have never seen this, other than Lemur walkthroughs, etc.
    Conservation through education is something different than what I am proposing. I am proposing on-display and off-display animals, for the continuous breeding and reintroduction of endangered species into the UK.
    Bearing in mind that this is simply a pitch, there are many design elements that I can't just post around the internet, at least until there is protection and/or agreements in place, but I will as soon as I am able.

3. £50k isn't the prize I am after. The prize I want is to have the support and guidance of the Virgin funding team (that is the bigger prize for this project). £50k will pay for marketing, website, design, land surveys, etc... it won't build a zoo. I'm confident though, that if we win, it would be enough to push it over the line.

Greater Manchester is the largest county in the UK without a genuine animal park. There is a potential market of £12.1m visitors (surrounding counties and annual visitors).

I'd suggest this is a case of when, not if. I've already held discussions with the Council and with Peel Holdings. Both of them have pledged their support. Chester Zoo have also offered us advice, but are unable to offer practical support due to their own current expansion.

A lot of research has been completed and there is still a long way to go. I truly believe it has to happen.

Hopefully, I've given you enough to encourage you to give me your vote!

4. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member

I feel that this falls under the site-wide prohibition on self-promotion and fundraising, as this is basically asking for votes which could *lead* to financial gain.

However, as the moderation team have not yet heard from Sim on his opinion of where this falls, for now I will merely lock this thread and remove the link. The thread may be unlocked, and the link reverted, if Sim feels this is an acceptable case. If he does not, the thread will likely be deleted.

5. poeticpenguin

poeticpenguin New Member

And if you're in the UKopia camp now... please help spread the message :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.