Join our zoo community

Fantasy Zoo Game 2016

Discussion in 'Fantasy Zoos' started by garyjp, 2 Jan 2016.

1. garyjp

garyjp Well-Known Member

Good evening everyone. I propose a new fantasy zoo game which we can play here on this forum. It will be a game of skill and chance.Initially you will be allocated a size of zoo, an amount of money and a list of objectives for the year. There will be good times and bad and you will have to manage your budget . Hopefully you will be able also to interact with other players including swapping of species etc.
    A bit of this is trial and error so we may have to iron out a few wrinkles so if you would like to play then initially just reply to this post and you will be allocated a zoo size , finances and your initial goals.

2. lowland anoa

lowland anoa Well-Known Member

I would like to play.

3. garyjp

garyjp Well-Known Member

Okay lets get you started You have been allocated a meduim size zoo !
    Which means your target is to build a zoo which houses 75 species of animals & birds and either a reptile house or aquaruim which holds a further 25 species.In your zoo you are allowed to build 10 large exhibits, 20 meduim exhibits & 45 small exhibits.Or you can buils a super mammal exhibit which contains 5 species or a super bird exhibit which contains 15 species.You will also need funds to buy the animals once the exhibits are built. If you build either super exhibit you are guaranteed more visitors which will give you more income. There are no other mixed exhibits and a large exhibit will hold big cats, great apes etc, meduim sized wolves , monkeys & small marmosets , smaller birds etc. (when you have finished building then i will give you your first set of 5 animals ).
    In addition you need to build for your zoo 2 restaurants, 2 gift shops,1 childs play area,4 food stands and 4 toilet blocks. restaurants, gift shops and food stands will generate you money, toilet block will cost money.
    the costs are as follows.
    small exhibit £10,000, Meduim exhibit £50,000, Large exhibit £100,000, super bird exhibit £125,000 & super mammal exhibit £250,000.
    restaurant £50,000,gift shop £50,000,play area £25,000, food stall £20,000, toilet block £10,000.Before you open your doors you will need to be able to at least feed yourvisitors and provide toilet facilities and sell gifts. You also need to open with at least 5 exhibits.
    unfortunately you only have £250,000 to start with. so spend your money wisely to open your zoo.

Last edited: 2 Jan 2016
  4. garyjp

garyjp Well-Known Member

Forgot to add the cost of aquaruim or reptile house is £75,000

5. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member

I would like to play.

6. garyjp

garyjp Well-Known Member

Thank you - you have been allocated to build a small zoo which houses 50 species & a reptile house . you must build at least 5 large exhibits,10 meduim exhibits and 35 small exhibits. you can also build as super bird or mammal exhibit as above .Build costs are as follows
    reptile house £75,000
    large exhibit £100,000
    meduim exhibit £50,000
    small exhibit £10,000
    super bird exhibit £125,000
    super animal exhibit £250,000
    2 x toilet blocks @£10,000 each
    1 restaurant £50,000
    1 gift shop £50,000
    1 play area £25,000
    2 food stalls £20,000 each
    you need to build at least 5 animal enclosures and have both eating and toilet facilities before opening. you are given a budget of £500,000. Come back once you have built your enclosures and allocated your budgets and I will gift you your first 5 sets of animals

7. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member

Oh, this sounds very fun! Since I finally have some free time, I'd like to play.

8. elefante

5 large, 10 medium, and 35 small exhibits is going to put me over the budget. Or do I just start with 5 animal enclosures and the eating and toilet facilities only to begin with? Sorry, I'm a bit confused.

9. garyjp

garyjp Well-Known Member

You have to build it up to open you must have at least 5 exhibits . So you build what you need to open so come back to me say when youve built 1x large 1 x meduim & 3 x small exhibits and your minimum visitor acilities and tell me how much budget you have left. I will allocate you 5 species free to start you off as the game goes on there will be the chance to earn more money to build further ok

10. garyjp

garyjp Well-Known Member

you have been allocated a meduim zoo 75 species & a reptile house or aquaruim .your aim is 10 large exhibits , 20 meduim exhibits & 45 small exhibits, a super mammal exhibit (counts as 5 large ) or a super bird exhibit (counts as 15 small).also 2 x restaurants, 2 x gift shops, 1 x play area ,4 x food stalls & 4 x toilets .If you look above on a previous cost you will see build costs etc.you can only open when you have built at least 5 exhibits & some visitor facilities. I will allocate you 5 species free once built. You are very lucky you have £1million to start with.Dont spend all at once as you never know whats round the corner .once ready to go come back to me with what you have built and how much money you have left.

11. elefante

Ok, how about 2 restrooms, 1 restaurant, 1 reptile house, 2 large exhibits, 1 medium exhibit, and three small exhibits?

12. garyjp

garyjp Well-Known Member

Elefun i forgot you will need to tell me what how much money you have left on each post.Also a small zoo needs to house 15 exihibits.Additional animals and reptiles can be purchased from me upon request.You will need to keep a note of how your exhibits are growing and again each post let me know.I will gift you 5 animal exhibits. 2x large( 1 pair of African Lions & 1 pair of American Black bears) 1 x meduim(1 pair of Patas Monkeys) 2 x small(1 pair of African grey parrots & 1 pair of Meerkats)
    You have only had a 1,000 visitors this week which has generated £10,000 unfortunately half of that has gone on expenses.The restaurant has generated you £2,000 and the rest rooms have cost you £1000.
    You have also been given a Trading card - this means you can trade species with other players in the game providing they also have a trading card.

13. elefante

I think this might be too much math for me...

14. garyjp

garyjp Well-Known Member

In short you have earned £6,000 !

15. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member

All right! This is gonna require quite a bit of thinking. I think I'll narrow my place down to being a themed zoo, focused on a specific region or environment, assuming that is allowed. I guess I'll go with Asia, if I get different animals later I'll just expand beyond the theme.

Starting out, I'll definitely want at least one large exhibit to draw people in. I guess you can't go wrong with Asian elephants. Going for a second large exhibit, Sumatran tigers! (200,000) I'll add two medium exhibits. I think I'll go with Rhesus macaques and Komodo dragons. (100,000) And, ten small exhibits! They'll include various small mammals, including the Sunda slow loris, Chinese pangolin, yellow-throated marten, island flying fox, and Indian brown mongoose. The rest are birds, including the Asian fairy-bluebird, rose-ringed parakeet, malabar parakeet, black hornbill, and spotted kestrel. (100,000) Visitor facilities... I'll go with one restaurant (50,000) and 2 toilets, (20,000) one food stall, (20,000) and one gift shop (50,000).

Visitor facilities add up to 140,000. Exhibits add up to 400,000, so it's 540,000 altogether. So I have 460,000 left. A good amount, but I want to ensure I have enough money to prepare for whatever is coming next.

This feels like D&D, and you're the Dungeon Master. Someone should totally make a zoo-designing tabletop game, ha ha.

16. MoleRat

MoleRat Active Member

I would like to play

17. garyjp

garyjp Well-Known Member

hopefully the D&d is what we are trying to achieve here and yes there will be pitfalls as well as good times. I was going to allocate you 5 species but its fine you picked them out. All your species are pairs so there is the chance they will breed.
    here is your update. Any further species may only be purchased, traded or gifted .you have earned £20,000 from gate recepits but half goes on expenses. £2000 for a restaurant and £2000 for a gift shop and a £1000 for a food stall are all earned but you loose £1000 per toilet block.
    Oh disaster you forgot your Zoo Licence - no income for 2 goes - sorry.

18. garyjp

garyjp Well-Known Member

you have been allocated a meduim zoo your target is 75 exhibits
    10 large 20 meduim 40 small
    2 restaurants 2 gift shops 1 play area 4 food stalls 4 toilet blocks
    your initial budget is £500000. You can see build costs in previous posts. I will gift you 5 species once you have told me what you initially built - any questions do come back to me

19. garyjp

garyjp Well-Known Member

A couple of game tips
    Trading Card can be allocated at random (this card allows you to trade species with other players) it can be purchased but is very expensive.
    make sure your finances are always in credit if you have no money left you can go bust.
    game cards which i allocate can also inckude free gifts of species if you havent a spare exhibit or funds to build it they will be passed onto another player
    additional species can be purchased from me and are always sold in breeding pairs
    breeding success is also allocated randomly

20. MoleRat

MoleRat Active Member

ok so I make the buildings you said.
    the first five exhibits are samll and they are : guinea pig, rock hyrax, dwarf mongoose, knight anole and draco volans