Join our zoo community

Farm Parks & Children's zoos

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by tetrapod, 3 Sep 2012.

1. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I realise that the vast majority of the people that visit/post on ZooChat are primarily interested in wild/exotic species and don't have much time for domestic species in a zoo environment. However the fact is there are alot of collections that focus primarily on domestic animals (farm parks), not to mention the major zoos that feature a Children's petting zoo/farm, and that these are popular attractions for younger visitors.

I am interested to know are there any really good displays (any Wow! exhibits) that focus on domestic animals? What do they do that makes them a 'cut above the rest'? Are they focusing on rare breeds? Good hands-on species ie. minature breeds? Good interactive talks with keepers? Interpretation that connects the biology/history of domestic breeds to the conservation of wild animals? Do they feature 'unusual' farmed species - ie. ostrich, water buffalo, bison etc.? Linking in wild species that are found close to human habitation?

Please don't just give an example such as 'species A' at 'zoo B' - assume I will never see the exhibit. I would prefer to know what people actually thought and how successful they are.