Join our zoo community

Zoosafari Fasano Fasano Safari Park

Discussion in 'Italy' started by colobus, 7 Jun 2014.

1. colobus

colobus Well-Known Member

New births in Fasano Safari Park during the year includes:
    1 ring-tailed lemur,
    1 common hippopotamus,
    2 Scimitar-horned oryx
    1 Nile lechwe,
    3 Asiatic black bears

2. Nikola Chavkosk

Nikola Chavkosk Well-Known Member

Is the Fassano the only place in Italy with Western lowland gorillas, Piko?

I know that I can check on ZTL, but I would love to read from first-hand, from Italian like you.

3. Piko

Piko Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I've never been to Fasano Safari Park but I've read that there is the only Gorilla (just 1) in Italy (the official website tells this too)

4. Nikola Chavkosk

Nikola Chavkosk Well-Known Member

That's sad for the gorilla, I am asking myself why some other zoos with gorillas in Europe, are not sending 1-3 gorillas to join the lonely gorilla in Fasano. Actualy as I know the Fasano Safari Park it's not EAZA member.

5. TigerStripe

TigerStripe Well-Known Member

random question but does anyone know the names of the rhinos at Fasano, and their lineage?

6. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They have a young captive-born male white rhino Abasi and another older male is expected over summer from Germany.

Not sure if their old pair Anton and Uzima (both born early 1970's and wildborn in South Africa) are still living there. Zoosafari Fasano never bred rhinos till now.

TigerStripe likes this.
  7. TigerStripe

TigerStripe Well-Known Member

Kifarou the White Rhino from Duisburg, Germany, has arrived at Fasano :)

8. Mickey

Mickey Well-Known Member

This zoo should close, it' s not even considerable a modern zoo, it's for the pure enjoyment of the people, nothing to do woth conservation: they have A POLAR BEAR in Italy with temperatures that can go up to 41 C°, a lonely gorilla, most habitats don't even reach any EAZA standards, guests can feed the animals anything, their elephants have very small habitats and there are animals in the safari that shouldn't even meet (although it's not that big of a deal since they're in captivity but you know, just to let you know that it's a horrible place).
    This place has dolphins and rides as well as rollercoasters: it's not a modern zoo, it's an Amusement Park.

9. Jola

Jola Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Uzima was still alive last September. In September 2021 only Uzima and Kifarou lived at Fasano. Old male Anton must have passed away between 2011 and 2017 - he was not listed in the studbook 2017 any more. I have no idea when and what happened to young bull Abasi ...

TigerStripe and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  10. Animallover23

Animallover23 Active Member

Is Uzima still alive as of this year? She has not been mentioned recently on the zoo's Instagram page.

11. Animallover23

Animallover23 Active Member

Zoosafari Fasano

Does anyone know exactly when male southern white rhino Anton died?

12. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Is the male gorilla Rui still alive?

13. Mickey

Mickey Well-Known Member

Yes he is

Pertinax likes this.
  14. Pertinax

When did you last see the gorilla Rui? Blijdorp Zoo say he has died...

15. Mickey

Mickey Well-Known Member

It's Riú, maybe you're confused with another animal? Also why would Blijdorp know anything about an Italian animal not part of a studbook?...

16. Yassa

Yassa Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Because just a day or 2 ago, Blijdorp sent 3 of their gorillas to Fasano. So it`s obvious that staff from Blijdorp was in contact with Fasano very very recently. I guess gorilla keepers from Blijdorp are still there right now to help their gorillas getting acclimated.

17. Mickey

Mickey Well-Known Member

I was not aware of any of this, very weird situation: Riú is very (in)famous for being the saddest gorilla of Europe and recently gained national attention, his passing would have probably been on the news everywhere.
    Maybe they'll try to acclimate him to other companions? Though I don't know how a TV enriched gorilla would behave with other actual living gorillas after his last companion died over a decade ago...

Pertinax likes this.
  18. Pertinax

This week three gorillas are arriving at Fasano Zoo from Rotterdam in Netherlands- two females and a youngish (9 years) male. The idea was to give Rui a chance to breed with the females as he is the last wildcaught male with no offspring in Europe. But now Rotterdam say they will be only gorillas there until a newmale is chosen, and that Rui has died...

19. MennoPebesma

MennoPebesma Well-Known Member

Blijdorp never said Riu died. What they said is that the three gorillas from Blijdorp are the only residents of the recently renovated enclosure for now.

The social media post and the press release say some different things about a silverback. According to the press release, the three will soon be joined by a silverback. But according to the social media post, the studbook keeper is still looking for a suitable silverback. They do say that as soon as there is a silverback that Blijdorp will communicate about it.

By the way, the three animals left Blijdorp for Italy yesterday.

20. Pertinax

Yes they have now. Blijdorp have since responded to queries about Riu, and have said he died.

MennoPebesma likes this.