Join our zoo community

Faunia Madrid Faunia Madrid

Discussion in 'Spain' started by vogelcommando, 3 Apr 2014.

1. SivatheriumGuy

SivatheriumGuy Well-Known Member 5+ year member

JurassicMax and Ned like this.
  2. SivatheriumGuy

Birth news:
    50 days ago, for the first time in Faunia, King penguin (Aptenodytes patagonicus) hatched at the park! It's apparently being hand-reared by keepers.

Randomname0183 and JurassicMax like this.
  3. SivatheriumGuy

JurassicMax likes this.
  4. SivatheriumGuy

New species:
    Faunia is now home to two male New Guinea ground cuscus (Phalanger gymnotis leucippus) that have arrived from the Praha zoo. They are the only representatives of this species in the country and are exhibited in the park's nocturnal house, Sombras Silenciosas.

5. SivatheriumGuy

JurassicMax and Haliaeetus like this.
  6. SivatheriumGuy

New species:
    - The Eastern quoll (Dasyurus viverrinus) is back at Sombras Silenciosas!
    Faunia used to house this species until 2019, and now a new group has arrived from Leipzig. Amazing news to have! Another great incorporation alongside the cuscuses that arrived earlier this year.

7. oflory

oflory Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

I'm going to Madrid at the end of the month - my question regarding Faunia is whether the Steller's sealions can still only be seen in the show?

8. Corby93

Corby93 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Is not the only moment, but is a great moment

The park is not specially big and if you really want to see them, is a great moment and not a great lack of time

9. SivatheriumGuy

I was checking Faunia's Google Maps pictures and saw a video of a Northern Luzon giant cloud rat (Phloeomys pallidus) in Sombras Silenciosas! Does anyone know anything of any recent movements of cloud rats? Really curious to learn more about them, the park hasn't made any statements.
    Another fantastic and unique in-the-country species for Faunia! It has had some amazing additions alongside the quoll and cuscus that arrived earlier this year!

JurassicMax, Haliaeetus and LiSom like this.
  10. matzek

matzek New Member

I visited 10 days ago and saw a pair of them in the very first enclosure of the Sombras Silenciosas complex.

SivatheriumGuy likes this.
  11. SivatheriumGuy

Glad to hear that! Did you see the quolls and cuscus?

12. matzek

matzek New Member

Yeah, I saw both of them. Especially the cuscus were surprisingly active and well visible at multiple times during the day, clearly one of my highlights. The quolls showed up only once and I saw no more than one animal.

13. SivatheriumGuy

New species:
    - Faunia has welcomed a pair of Macaroni penguins (Eudyptes chrysolophus) into the penguinarium! They are called Pesto and Carbonara and they arrived from the Antwerpen Zoo.

14. JamesB

JamesB Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Really enjoyed a visit here last week - happy to answer any questions. Have uploaded a selection of photos on the gallery.

A really well presented collection, if a bit aging in places. I managed to see 6 new Mammal species that I had not seen before. I think the Jungla house was the highlight, I had never seen Manatees before so that was fascinating! I would say the house needs some upkeep and the main hall looked very empty, did it once have any ground dwelling species? I could see a small deer species working there.

The penguin enclosures were great but unfortunately so many of the windows were covered in condensation which made it very hard to view and take photographs.

The venomous house was another highlight, very educational and well presented. The last big tank (holding reef sharks etc.) said about refurbishment. I wondered if something like an Octopus or Squid species would fit in well there?

I loved that there were lots of areas to explore and seek out, such as the underground exhibit. The lemur exhibit was also a highlight as all 3 species were very active around me.

The nocturnal house held a fantastic array of species including some very active Eastern Quolls! I felt the Ocelot exhibit was much too small and a bit depressing, especially with no outdoor access.

Aside from some of the aging exhibits, my only other criticism would be the Australian walk through being closed and no signs up why this was. I would definitely recommend a visit for anyone in the area. As mentioned before, the price is a bit steep for the size of the collection but I happily spent about 4 hours here.

(Just a note that the Zootierliste list is very out of date for the collection)

15. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Then update it ;)

16. twilighter

twilighter Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I returned to Madrid and Valencia's city collections after two years and all the places look well maintained and with some nice improvements. Faunia Sombras Silenciosas complex is the one I want to mention in particular, since not many of this type left on the continent. Without being too overexcited - this is probably the second best Nocturnal House in Europe at the moment.

Species list:

Northern Luzon Giant Cloud Rat
    Moholi Bushbaby
    Nancy's Ma Night Monkey/ Striped Skunk
    Aardvark
    Brush-tailed Bettong/ Moholi Bushbaby
    Eastern Quoll
    Binturong
    Egyptian Fruit Bat
    Seba's Short-tailed Bat
    Fennec Fox
    Ground Cuscus
    Fahaka Puffer Fish
    Southern Tamandua/ Southern Three-banded Armadillo
    Ocelot
    Crested Porcupine
    Brazilian Porcupine/ Moholi Bushbaby
    Beech Marten
    Hoffmann's Two-toed Sloth
    Four-toed hedgehog* - not entirely sure
    Electric Eel
    Dwarf Mongoose

17. SivatheriumGuy

Thank you so much for this species list @twilighter, we have quite the gem over at Madrid. It's really making a comeback species-wise for what it seems, there are some animals I was not expecting (Mostly the beech marten). I'm guessing the common genet and European minks are no longer at the park?
    Are the sloths signed differently when it comes to Hoffmann's and Linnaeuses? For what you said, I'd guess that the Hoffmann's are housed at the nocturnal house and the Linnaeus ones are the breeding group over at the Jungle building.

twilighter likes this.
  18. twilighter

twilighter Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Yes, the place is real gem, even without the Mazama. All your assumption are correct :)

SivatheriumGuy likes this.
  19. SivatheriumGuy

JurassicMax, Mo Hassan, Kalaw and 5 others like this.
  20. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

How many Macaroni Penguins are actually at Faunia?