Join our zoo community

Favorite animal sound

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by savethelephant, 21 May 2015.

1. agnmeln

agnmeln Well-Known Member

They were definitely congregating up in our roof!

2. Okapipako

Okapipako Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Omigosh, so many... Tried my best to narrow them down.

- Fighting koalas. Unexpectedly horrifying.
    - Most all elephant sounds
    - All gibbon songs, siamang especially
    - Male orangutan 'long calls'
    - American porcupines while eating. Seriously, look it up.
    - All Panthera cat roars, lion and tiger especially. I see so many comments on YouTube expressing disappointment in how lions sound in reality as opposed to movies but hearing it in person is bone chilling. I love leopards for sounding so incredibly menacing though - stock lion sound effects are often actually leopards.
    - All cougar sounds. From blood curdling screams to sweet mews and purrs ❤️
    - Literally anything that comes out of spotted hyenas
    - Gray wolf howls, especially a whole pack. The one thing I desperately hoped to hear while in Yellowstone but didn't :(
    - Maned wolf 'roar barks', another awesomely scary sound
    - Zebras' "qua-gga" braying
    - Probably my favorite, bull elk bugles. Red stag roars as well

Not as well versed in bird calls, but some favorites are: ostrich 'booms', cassowary roars, cranes (sandhill and sarus especially), limpkin, most hawks & buzzards, barred owl, helmeted hornbill, kookaburra, capuchinbird (like an adorable little alien), bellbirds, wood thrush and screaming piha.

Lastly, American alligator growls and rumbles, and most every frog and toad call, especially a chorus at dusk :)

AnaheimZoo likes this.
  3. JigerofLemuria

JigerofLemuria Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I see you saw that corn cob video too! ;)

Okapipako likes this.
  4. Okapipako

Okapipako Well-Known Member 5+ year member

South American porcupines are even more adorable:

JigerofLemuria and Kakapo like this.
  5. agnmeln

agnmeln Well-Known Member

I concur!

6. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Try Tiger, in Indian jungle- at night...:)

I also like Deer rutting calls- particularly Elk bugling. A lot of the other 'Cervus' deer subspecies have subtly different rutting calls from each other. I also like Fallow, Sika and Swamp deer calls.

Okapipako likes this.
  7. AnaheimZoo

AnaheimZoo Well-Known Member

I can remember watching a video of males fighting for the first time very vividly, as well as the freakout/fit of hysterical laughter I had immediately afterwards. :D

8. AnaheimZoo

AnaheimZoo Well-Known Member

In my first post on here, I only mentioned the call of the Montezuma Oropendola. But there are definitely a number of other sounds I'm fond of that I just felt I'd mention:

- male elephant seal territorial calls
    - silverback gorillas' territorial calls (after all the hooting and chest beating, they almost sound like engines winding down, haha) (lovely footage of that on the "Primates" episode of BBC's Life series)
    - as mentioned by okapipako, the song of the wood thrush (an almost magical sound) (they're on their way back up to the Northeast and will hopefully be singing in my backyard again in the next week or so :))
    - the roar of a tiger is pretty impressive (obviously it's not as esteemed as a lion's, but I think it should be)

I had more in mind, but I can't remember them at the moment

9. BerdNerd

BerdNerd Well-Known Member

My favorite animal call is that of the African Fish Eagle. My favorite part about it is when they throw their heads back in the middle of their call.

10. Tetzoo Quizzer

Tetzoo Quizzer Well-Known Member

Not one that I’ve heard other than on TV (although I have seen a male in the wild), try Blue Bird of Paradise for sheer weirdness! Otherwise, more votes for Gibbons, Indri and Helmeted Hornbill

11. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

I think that there are several sounds that I find particularly beautiful / personally significant.

The one that stands out above the others is the shrill warning cry of the black lion tamarin in fragments of the Atlantic rainforest when you hear the animals before seeing them as you approach them on foot after radio tracking. Same ineffable and moving feeling with hearing the sound of the buffy tufted marmoset.

It is really very beautiful and meaningful because of how endangered these species are and hearing it is a confirmation that they are still out there persisting, enduring, surviving, despite the odds stacked against them.

12. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Though not my favourite sound I second the calls of oropendolas as being particularly memorable / singular. They are the weirdest sound to hear in the forest (always remind me of an electronic device or a kids toy) and the bird itself is extremely unusual looking and striking too.

13. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Whistling Kite :), followed closely by the Chiming Wedgebill:

14. Tapir Master

Tapir Master Well-Known Member

Any tapir sounds.

They’re oddly just as expressive as other pachyderms.

15. Onychorhynchus coronatus

During the day when you hear that squeaky whistle in the wild in the rainy season in the forest after it has been raining heavily and see them trot by with their curious noses it can feel as if you have been transported back in time and are witness to some scene from the Eocene or something.

When you hear it at night it can be a little bit unnerving as the sound tends to travel and despite them being such comparatively large mammals (in South American terms) they tread softly and blend into the darkness pretty well and so you have no idea if they are only a couple of yards away or at a greater distance.

Tapir Master likes this.