Join our zoo community

Favorite Bear?

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by ZPA, 7 Jun 2020.

?

Favorite Bear Species

1. Brown Bear

3 vote(s)
    3.4%
  2. American Black Bear

6 vote(s)
    6.7%
  3. Sloth Bear

20 vote(s)
    22.5%
  4. Grizzly Bear

3 vote(s)
    3.4%
  5. Giant Panda

8 vote(s)
    9.0%
  6. Polar Bear

12 vote(s)
    13.5%
  7. Sun Bear

19 vote(s)
    21.3%
  8. Andean Bear

18 vote(s)
    20.2%
  1. ZPA

ZPA Well-Known Member

Inspired by @amur leopard's poll, I wanted to make one for bears. So here you go.

2. ZPA

ZPA Well-Known Member

So I chose pandas, mainly because they are my favorite animal. I don't really know why, maybe because they are rare in captivity outside of China. I remember the first time I ever saw one was Bao Bao at the Smithsonian Zoo. Polar Bears are definitely second tho.

BenFoxster likes this.
  3. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

For me it's a difficult one because I love them all but I think I just prefer the Sun bear over the others. Really cute yet still sizeable, probably the most able in the trees and basically a wolverine-bear-marten :D

ZPA likes this.
  4. The_melford_manatee

The_melford_manatee Well-Known Member

Bears are one of those animals that I never get bored of.No matter how many times I see them they still excite me.Of those bears species there are three that I have only ever seen once :(.They are the Polar Bear,Sun Bear(I have been to more zoos that exhibit them but never saw one)and the Giant Panda.There are none which I have never seen.

Due to the environments they live,their strange cuteness and a variety of other reasons,I love South Asian Bears.Of those bears,my favourite is probably the Sun Bear.

5. Yoshistar888

Yoshistar888 Well-Known Member

Mines the sun bear, although I’ve never seen one I just like their goofy looks.

Ive unfortunately only seen Brown bear (Syrian subspecies) and Polar Bear.

Also I thought I’d point out that the poll is incorrect as Grizzly bears are a subspecies of the Brown Bear and Asiatic Black Bear (Moon bear) is not on the list.

6. CloudPardus

CloudPardus Well-Known Member

I chose the Sun Bear as well,Not biased because they are native to my home country of Malaysia but they are such odd bears compared to the other species. (Besides the Sloth Bear of course)

As for bear species i've seen in zoos So far are Giant Panda,Sun Bears,Sloth Bears,Asiatic Black Bears and Brown Bears (I could have seen a Polar Bear at Singapore but i went there after Inuka passed :()

BenFoxster likes this.
  7. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I've seen all the bear species in captivity but only one in the wild - American Black. I picked that one since the experience of unexpectedly seeing a wild one was so cool.

8. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I've seen all bear species except American black. For the poll, definitely not Giant Panda as they are rubbish and is a waste of money. I would say sun bear because it is more active and have a different build than other bears. Sloth bear is also great too because of their fluffiness.

9. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

Mine is most definitely the spectacled bear as I find it the most interesting and charismatic species.

I've seen all species in captivity but up to this point have actually only ever seen one species in the wild which was the brown bear. The wild brown bears that I saw were of the Cantabrian variety and I was very fortunate to see several of these in Northern Spain.

BenFoxster and amur leopard like this.
  10. Fallax

Fallax Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Sun bears are weird and that's why I like them most, which seems to be the most popular here too.

11. The_melford_manatee

I am surprised the Giant Panda is so popular.I thought it would be one of those animals that the general public loves, but Zoochatters consider overrated and not particularly impressive.I wonder what makes Spectacled Bears so loved?

12. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

13. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

I consider myself to be somewhere between the general ignorance of the public and the 'nerdiest' of zoochatters and have voted for Panda. I don't usually vote on these things, but bears and cats in general are my favourite subjects at the zoo, their youngsters being an influence on my votes. Young panda are hilarious and make up for their parents lack of energy. However, the frantic excitement of Madrid's male when keepers were building his indoor feeding throne was something of a highlight of my trip to Spain three years ago.

14. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I voted for Polar bear and am surprised to see I’m currently the only one. To see such Inuka up close at the Singapore Zoo was an experience I’ll never forget - his claws were immense. I’ve always liked Polar bears. As a kid I loved watching The Bear (1998); and later enjoyed learning about the history of the Polar bears of Auckland Zoo. They were also one of my favourite animals in Zoo Tycoon. There’s plenty of awesome things about Polar bears including the fact they’re the only marine bear and actually classed as a marine mammal (Ursus maritimus); and that their fur is actually transparent.

Malayan sun bears are a very close second for me, so I can see why so many have voted for them. The nickname ‘dog bear’ is very apt and I love their long tongues; their bare feet; their sexual dimorphism- males are significantly larger and and have a wrinkled forehead; and their sun marking around their neck - which is different on every bear.

The_melford_manatee likes this.
  15. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

For me, it's no contest... Spectacled bears, imo, are the most expressive and entertaining to watch. Having *very briefly* worked with Tupa and Sonco, Noahs Ark Zoo Farms old sibling pair, I fell in love with the species; I look forward to hopefully seeing some cubs from the new pair in the future.

amur leopard likes this.
  16. The_melford_manatee

Polar Bears are certainly my second favourite bear.The excitement as I approached their enclosure at Zoo de La Flèche surprised even myself.The fact few zoos have them makes me love them even more.

Zoofan15 likes this.
  17. qthemusic

qthemusic Well-Known Member

Sloth Bear, followed by Sun Bear. I love the fluffy ears of the Sloth and the sleekness of the fur on the Sun Bears.

The_melford_manatee likes this.
  18. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Asiatic black bear, but it's not on the poll so...

jayjds2, ZooBinh and TNT like this.
  19. Fallax

Fallax Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Just noticed that actually, and why is both grizzly and brown on there?

20. The_melford_manatee

Well,the Siberian and North American species are slightly different in many aspects and often referred to as Grizzlies while the Himalayan and European are also different and referred to as Browns.But you are right,they are technically different subspecies.