Join our zoo community

Favorite Bird Of Prey Group

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by BerdNerd, 7 Jan 2021.

?

Favorite Bird Of Prey Group?

1. Eagles

6.7%
  2. Hawks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Falcons

13.3%
  4. Vultures

20.0%
  5. Owls

26.7%
  6. Secretarybird

33.3%
  1. BerdNerd

BerdNerd Well-Known Member

Yes, there is a pair currently residing at the zoo's Elephant Odyssey. I think there are also some at the Safari Park too.

2. Girafarig

Girafarig Well-Known Member

I see.

3. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I would also bet because those birds are much more impressive and threatening looking than turkey vultures. Those are the more iconic images of vultures people have.

4. AWP

AWP Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I voted for eagles, tropical species like the harpy eagle and martial eagle being my favourite.

Seriemas could be regarded as birds of prey too, as the neotropical and falcon-related equivalent of the secretary bird.

Reading here about Old World vultures in the New World, there is quite a number of extinct American "Old World" vultures, mostly from the USA but also some fossil material from Venezuela. All these vultures belong the Gypaetinae, that includes Egyptian, palm-nut and beared vulture.

5. chaotic_froggie

chaotic_froggie Well-Known Member

Falcons and caracaras are also not classified as Accipitriformes, I think that is a recent change. My favourite are falcons, mainly because my favourite animals tend to be species I have had personal experiences with. I love falconry, and I have flown Eurasian and American Kestrels and held a Gyrfalcon and Peregrine.