Discussion in 'United States' started by Grizzly Hound, 8 Jun 2020.
What is your favorite exhibit/area at the Columbus Zoo?
I really like their manatee exhibit. The whole zoo was very impressive.
Their zoo is pretty great and I can't wait to visit some day.
My favorite exhibit/area at The Columbus Zoo is The Asia Quest!
I might actually visit towards the end of the month.
Mine has gotta be the heart of Africa. The exhibits are all top notch and the savanna exhibit is especially impressive with its size. The lion exhibit is also great, the vervet exhibit looks great as well, the watering hole has an interesting concept (with one exhibit rotated by many different animals) and the cheetah exhibit is fine, but not very special. Asia guest is in a close second though. My personal ranking would be...
1. Heart of Africa(for reasons stated above).
2. Asia quest, for its design and conservation message/interpretive elements(but I wish that they would replace the black rhinos with Indian and the lions with snow leopards).
3.polar frontier- for being very innovative and having both bear exhibits being massive(although the arctic fox exhibit could be better).
4.Australia & the islands, is decent and has many subpar to great exhibits, the roadhouse is my favorite part, due to the rare species that used to be housed in the building (like the tiger quolls & banded palm civets). The kangaroo walkthrough is better than most, the Asian small clawed otter exhibit is great, so is the Komodo dragon exhibit, the Tasmanian devil exhibit looks ok, same with the orangs & gibbons, but the koala exhibit looks old and ugly.
5. Congo expedition: the African forest, is ok, the bonobo exhibit is the best in the country and the okapi exhibit is great to, but most of the other exhibit are mainly mediocre.
6. Shores, nothing bad, but most of the exhibits (aside from the fantastic manatee coast) are mediocre or bad.
7. North America, has many biggish exhibits, but a lot of them look outdated and bland. And the black bear exhibit is pretty small.
8. Animal encounters village/adventure cove, the sea lion exhibit looks good, but the animal encounters village is another story, I’ve already shared my opinion on this exhibit many times before here on zoochat, but you know that I despise this exhibit. Most of the animals needs are not met with these exhibits, either they don’t have enough space, shade, climbing structures, substrate, or enrichment with these abysmal enclosures. Overall this complex is probably the worst zoo exhibit to come out of an AZA zoo in a long time.
Separate names with a comma.